Megabass whipsnake vs St Croix elite 6'10'' ml

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Megabass whipsnake vs St Croix elite 6'10'' ml

Post by KSRonH » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:53 pm

I currently own the St Croix Elite ml 6'10'' rod. I mainly use it for ned rig, and other finesse applications. I'm interested in the Orachixx Whipsnake and wonder what the differences are. Great reviews on the whipsnake but does it offer more than the Elite ml? would appreciate a comparison if anyone has used both these rods. Looking at the whipsnake for the finesse applications plus jerkbaits. Thanks, Ron

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass whipsnake vs St Croix elite 6'10'' ml

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 pm

I don't think the MB is going to top the elite. They both are nice rods. I have fished or handled other rods in the orochi line up and have fished elite as well. The elite is a great stick.
Philippians 4:6

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:14 am

I can't say for certain. It has been ages since I fished an elite. A gude had some a number of years back. I had no idea what they were and commented on how they were "cool old fishing rods" and I was scolded and told they were new. I remember how that brown paint catches the sunlight under the epoxy and that they had a weird plastic furnature leg cap built in already. The rod fished just fine but I didnt fish high end rods back then for have any comparisons. It didnt knock my socks off but it didnt stand out as bad either.

I more recently handled a step down with a M casting primer rod and that was horrific. Tip heavy, jggly and crudely built. It didnt even have winding checks between the grips if I remember correctly. Fishing and handling in a store are two different things. I do remember thinking that it handed in store worse than my $46 Laguna but that more of an initial impressions test. On the water is where the story lies. It was a lower end stick though so that would be like handing a Levante and then forming an opinion about a Orochi xx.

Another irrational hatred for St Croix rant but until you fish both just go with your gut.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Stick with the Elite(s). I’ve lipped literally thousands of smallmouth on Elites, Legend X and Xtremes. You’ll be fine and you’re not missing a thing. With a much better warranty.