NRX+ or Steez Bottom Contact II?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX+ or Steez Bottom Contact II?

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:52 am

I am a long time Loomis guy, but I’m thinking of branching out. Does anyone have experience with a 873 CRR or 894 and the new Steez Bottom contact II? I would mainly be using it for 1/2 jigs with trailer. I will also throw 3/8 from time to time.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX+ or Steez Bottom Contact II?

Post by jpmoney » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:24 am

I have both rods - the NRX+ CRR and BC2. I think branching out would be a good idea - that BC2 is a very impressive stick and would be perfect for 1/2oz and even 3/8 as you mention. 3/8 is about the lowest I would go. The sensitivity to me is on par with the NRX+ but with a slightly different feel, as expected with those AGS guides - It telegraphs the bottom really well, and I’m able to distinguish rock, weeds, sand, etc. I use both rods almost interchangeably as they cover a similar range IMO. However the BC2 has a little faster action and a bit more muscle in the mid section and butt, making it feel a little more powerful overall. Balance on the BC2 is also a bit better than the NRX with a Steez A on it. I don’t have any complaints with the BC2 to be honest- just a fantastic football jig/jig/Texas rig rod. I did really well in the fall fishing a 3/4 swing head football. No issues with the feel and excellent power in the hookset.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 am

Gloomis is still king with it comes to bottom contact IMO. Though the new Steez AGS rods are very sensitive but the feel of bumping a rock or getting a bite is drastically different. I could differentiate certain types of cover much better with an NRX than with a Steez AGS. The NRX has that hollow feeling and you can just feel bumping the cover through the entire blank and onto your hand where as I feel the AGS there is a muffled feeling there but you can still certainly feel it does that make sense? The steez felt a little dead ripping through grass in my hands. Both very sensitive but still NRX still has a considerable edge for feeling cover. Now bite detection is a different story and it matters less, getting bit on a Steez AGS almost feels like a lightning shock, it's that good. Right on par with the NRX in that regard imo but a totally different feeling. The strength of the Steez is it's versatility, balance and arguably finish. If you don't care about those things, the NRX is still a much more sensitive stick.
Long live the Jerkbait

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:44 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 am
Gloomis is still king with it comes to bottom contact IMO. Though the new Steez AGS rods are very sensitive but the feel of bumping a rock or getting a bite is drastically different. I could differentiate certain types of cover much better with an NRX than with a Steez AGS. The NRX has that hollow feeling and you can just feel bumping the cover through the entire blank and onto your hand where as I feel the AGS there is a muffled feeling there but you can still certainly feel it does that make sense? The steez felt a little dead ripping through grass in my hands. Both very sensitive but still NRX still has a considerable edge for feeling cover. Now bite detection is a different story and it matters less, getting bit on a Steez AGS almost feels like a lightning shock, it's that good. Right on par with the NRX in that regard imo but a totally different feeling. The strength of the Steez is it's versatility, balance and arguably finish. If you don't care about those things, the NRX is still a much more sensitive stick.
Are you referring to the old NRX or the newer NRX+??? Does the new NRX stack up with the old sensitivity wise?

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:44 pm
hmnginmn wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:48 am
Are you referring to the old NRX or the newer NRX+??? Does the new NRX stack up with the old sensitivity wise?
I only have the old 894c and the nrx+ 822dsr. Different rods for different applications but the 894c was noticeably more sensitive. From what I've heard they are equivalent.
Long live the Jerkbait

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm

I have a friend who has many NRX's, both OG and the +.

He swears one is not any more sensitive than the other. (I didn't think the + would be an improvement in sensitivity, but I'm glad it's not less sensitive).

the reel seat is the best improvement on the +
1-2%

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:48 pm

I know the OP posted longer rods, but depending on your budget the Racing Design and Evergreen Kaleido's are more sensitive than the NRX and NRX+ series, especially the Racing Designs, not to knock on the NRX rods but the above mentioned rods are better.