Phenix Ultra MBX 606L

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Phenix Ultra MBX 606L

Post by zelmo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:30 am

Can anyone tell me the scoop on the UMBXCL-C 606L? This is listed as a light but the lure rating is 1/4 to 1/2, while the medium is 1/4 to 5/8. I am surprised at the numbers on the 606L, they seem more like a ML and even that would be off.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Phenix Ultra MBX 606L

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:36 am

zelmo wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:30 am
Can anyone tell me the scoop on the UMBXCL-C 606L? This is listed as a light but the lure rating is 1/4 to 1/2, while the medium is 1/4 to 5/8. I am surprised at the numbers on the 606L, they seem more like a ML and even that would be off.
I had the 7'ML and it was rated 1/4-5/8. It maxed out with a 3/8 spinnerbait imo. The blanks overall are very sensitive and rigid, very fast actions, not 'sloppy' at all, if that makes sense. Maybe crisp is a better term. I've been on the fence of having a custom built on the 7'XH, but havent pulled the trigger.
I have owned a couple others in that lineup, and none have disappointed. Across the board and in my experience, Phenix rods typically fish lighter than their ratings.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks. I was questioning the low number more than the high one. A Light rod that only goes down to 1/4 oz?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:20 pm

zelmo wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:15 pm
Thanks. I was questioning the low number more than the high one. A Light rod that only goes down to 1/4 oz?
The ML I had was very comfortable with 3/16, and still functional with 1/8. I frequently used a 1/16 bullet weight, 1/0 offset worm hook and an original roboworm.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:54 pm

Within the Phenix lineup, the mbx has the stiffest, most powerful tip sections. The 7ft ml has almost 500 grams of power. The light is probably capable of casting 1/8 oz plus trailer, with the right reel of course. Likely not optimal though, especially with the shorter length. Maybe consider the longer version, or if you can swing it, grab the K2 683ml.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks. I am looking at this for smaller jerkbaits and topwater. For those applications I prefer a 6’6” rod. Sounds like the 606L will fit the bill.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:21 pm

I wanted to revisit this thread and report on the 606L in case anyone else is considering it.

While I haven’t had it out on the water yet I believe it is going to serve my purpose for getting it very well. For jerkbaits and some topwater I like the 6’6” size. I already had M power fast action rods but I wanted something better for 1/4 oz lures. The 606L seems to check all the boxes that I was looking for.

I must say though that I don’t understand Phenix labeling this as a Light. It is lighter than all my Medium rods, but it is heavier than all my ML rods. As I said it is going to fit in the slot I chose it for but if I really wanted a Light I would be disappointed.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 pm

zelmo wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:21 pm
I wanted to revisit this thread and report on the 606L in case anyone else is considering it.

While I haven’t had it out on the water yet I believe it is going to serve my purpose for getting it very well. For jerkbaits and some topwater I like the 6’6” size. I already had M power fast action rods but I wanted something better for 1/4 oz lures. The 606L seems to check all the boxes that I was looking for.

I must say though that I don’t understand Phenix labeling this as a Light. It is lighter than all my Medium rods, but it is heavier than all my ML rods. As I said it is going to fit in the slot I chose it for but if I really wanted a Light I would be disappointed.
Heavier as in weight? That blank weighs next to nothing, so it must be the components and build that's making it heavy. Either that, or you have some feather like medium powered rods.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:11 pm

I have an older MBX Classic model and the tip is Light in power but overall the transition point is more like a ML. The handle components does add some weight to the overall rod so it feels a little bit more leverage weight on the cast. I do use mine for 1/4 oz lures.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:42 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:06 pm
zelmo wrote:

Heavier as in weight? That blank weighs next to nothing, so it must be the components and build that's making it heavy. Either that, or you have some feather like medium powered rods.
I meant power, not weight on a scale, as in less than medium and more than ML. I think a good description of the rod is a lighter medium.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:58 pm

zelmo wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:42 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
zelmo wrote:

I meant power, not weight on a scale, as in less than medium and more than ML. I think a good description of the rod is a lighter medium.
I always thought of the 7' version I had as a ML+, if that makes any sense at all. The tip was soft, but the backbone was firm.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:58 pm
zelmo wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:42 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
zelmo wrote:

I always thought of the 7' version I had as a ML+, if that makes any sense at all. The tip was soft, but the backbone was firm.
The medium light has over 450 grams of power lol. Definitely a medium haha.