(A true search for 1) Loomis 4power rod alternatives

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

(A true search for 1) Loomis 4power rod alternatives

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:43 pm

I really think loomis 4 power is the sweet spot for me, love my nrx 894 and glx854 I consider them MH/H. I talked a couple homies into buying baitcasters this spring and I want them to be able to do what I do w/o using my gear. I have some older stuff that works but when I start crushing them I always feel bad and let them use st nice. I think it's what tipped them into wanting their own gear. Anyway, I'm looking for 7-7'3" Mh/H similar to 4 power loomis.

Homie#1 I'm almost sure I'm going to reccomend Ark money maker 73mh. I think it slots in based on TT reviews and his budget.

Homie#2 is willing to spend a little more money I'm thinking experide or orochi xx. But not sure what models. Sensitivity is important I do a lot of bottom contact.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: (A true search for 1) Loomis 4power rod alternatives

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm

If I didn't get any input from you guys I think I'd say Orochi xx TV. They have one at a local shop and after playing with it it seems right. Seems like it could be a little more capable on the heavy end than the 1oz lure rating implies. Can anyone speak to sensitivity? As far as exprides I think the MH might be too light and H too heavy. I'm open to other brands but feel good about those two rod lines.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:41 pm

I like the Orochi XX better for bottom contact sensitivity than the Expride, and an F6 power is in the Loomis 4-power bottom contact ballpark (i.e. the Destroyer FMJ is a Fast F6 power rod, and I love it for 3/8-1/2oz + trailer jigs). The FMJ is rated up to 1 1/4oz FWIW and does it, I think the TV would do the same.
Not sure about Expride alternatives, I always recommend Orochi XX instead in that price range :lol: Hopefully somebody else has suggestions.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 pm

I thought the fmj was broom sticky. Like 1/2 power heavier than loomis 4's. I sold it

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:33 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:41 pm
I like the Orochi XX better for bottom contact sensitivity than the Expride, and an F6 power is in the Loomis 4-power bottom contact ballpark (i.e. the Destroyer FMJ is a Fast F6 power rod, and I love it for 3/8-1/2oz + trailer jigs). The FMJ is rated up to 1 1/4oz FWIW and does it, I think the TV would do the same.
Not sure about Expride alternatives, I always recommend Orochi XX instead in that price range :lol: Hopefully somebody else has suggestions.
Your saying TV is also a 6 or was when mb did that. Tv does have 1/4 oz less top end. Thanjs for feedback. Probably a little slower action too

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm

I have the 854glx. While it is slightly heavier than the nrx 873crr it isn't that much heavier. If you are looking for a "true" 4 power Loomis, I'd give the 873crr (yes, it is a 3 power, but much closer to the 4 power loomis) a try.
1-2%

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:37 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm
I have the 854glx. While it is slightly heavier than the nrx 873crr it isn't that much heavier. If you are looking for a "true" 4 power Loomis, I'd give the 873crr (yes, it is a 3 power, but much closer to the 4 power loomis) a try.
Nice! Sounds like my wheelhouse, I've been looking to upgrade my dark sleeper/Tube/lighter trig rod rod. I know it has been an 'it' rod in loomis line up. Dang. I might have to. Dang. Prob pair with newer met.

My friends budget is like 300 for rod I think that TV is gonna be my recommendation for him.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:53 pm

Braillist might handle the lighter stuff a little better eh.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Anyone have experience with St.croix Victory 7'3"H? Seems like that might sit in there.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 pm
I thought the fmj was broom sticky. Like 1/2 power heavier than loomis 4's. I sold it
I would agree with that. I have a 844c and a FMJ and the FMJ has a clear power advantage over the Loomis. The 844c has a softer tip as well so the two of them make a great pair, the FMJ for jigs and the 884c for plastics.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 pm
Obz wrote:
I would agree with that. I have a 844c and a FMJ and the FMJ has a clear power advantage over the Loomis. The 844c has a softer tip as well so the two of them make a great pair, the FMJ for jigs and the 884c for plastics.
Different strokes, I guess. I don't contest that the FMJ might be heavier than the 844 or trying to pick one over the other, just helping the OP decide. And there I know that a) I wouldn't throw my 3/8-1/2oz jigs on a Loomis 5-power (I got the GLX 855 JWR), and b) that I love throwing them on the FMJ. The FMJ comes alive as soon as you hook into a fish, and it's versatile enough to throw heavier moving baits (4.3-4.8 Keitechs, bigger Dark Sleepers, 1/2+oz Spinnerbaits etc.) I haven't fished the Tour Versatile, but I'd expect it to act as good as the FMJ given its rating.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:37 pm
SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm
Nice! Sounds like my wheelhouse, I've been looking to upgrade my dark sleeper/Tube/lighter trig rod rod. I know it has been an 'it' rod in loomis line up. Dang. I might have to. Dang. Prob pair with newer met.

My friends budget is like 300 for rod I think that TV is gonna be my recommendation for him.
If a new NRX didn't cost $900'ish dollars up here, I wouldn't have gone with 854 GLX. I would have purchased another 873CRR. But the GLX was $550, coincidently the cost of the NRX's when I bought my lineup.

If you can get your hands on a 873CRR, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
1-2%

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:34 pm
Obz wrote:
Different strokes, I guess. I don't contest that the FMJ might be heavier than the 844 or trying to pick one over the other, just helping the OP decide. And there I know that a) I wouldn't throw my 3/8-1/2oz jigs on a Loomis 5-power (I got the GLX 855 JWR), and b) that I love throwing them on the FMJ. The FMJ comes alive as soon as you hook into a fish, and it's versatile enough to throw heavier moving baits (4.3-4.8 Keitechs, bigger Dark Sleepers, 1/2+oz Spinnerbaits etc.) I haven't fished the Tour Versatile, but I'd expect it to act as good as the FMJ given its rating.
Fmj did seem to get better the more weight I put on it. I didn't fish 1/2oz jigs enough to keep it. My glx854 is great skipping 3/8oz jigs under docks. I'm more of a texas rig guy, I have trouble keeping jigs clean. I bought a bunch of grass jigs that were recommended on here. Musky fished the bulk of my season last year, didn't get to put them to use.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:47 pm

It is a true search for one 'baitcaster' for the homies. I think the TV and ark MM are solid. They prob do real well with 3/16-3/8oz trig, jig, topwater, light frogging. I like tubes and 3/8 dark sleepers in spring. The braillist/victory prob would of been more fun for those on the low end but their eggbeaters can handle that.