Megabass price increase

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass price increase

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:04 pm

I noticed megabass has raised prices on the orochi and levante 50$. Do you think they are pricing themselves out of the competition? Is a orochi worth 100$ more than a expride?
Last edited by bronzebacks on Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass price increase

Post by setsail26 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:43 pm

No, because other companies are also raising prices, just not quite so much at a time. Or they are decontenting (cheaper guides, cork, etc). Or both (looking at you St. Croix). Plus Megabass is a prestige and pretty brand and people will be willing to pay more for them.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:28 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:04 pm
I noticed megabass has raised prices on the orochi and levante 50$. Do you think they are pricing themselves out of the competition? Is a orochi worth 100$ more than a expride?
Where do you see these prices? TW still has them at $199 and $299.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:31 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:28 am
bronzebacks wrote:
Where do you see these prices? TW still has them at $199 and $299.

Tackle Trap and American Legacy are 2 I've seen that have added the increases. I'd imagine the others won't be far behind.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Shimano is increasing prices feb 1

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:09 pm

Megabass rods were already overpriced, not to mention the ongoing breakage issues. They are irrelevant at this point, imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:42 am

bronzebacks wrote:
I don't know for sure if Orochi is worth more than an Expride but at current prices (before they BOTH increase) I think they are similar enough that I am willing to pay the 10% premium of an Orochi over the Expride for certain models.

My Orochis are Braillist and Perfect Pitch. My Exprides are 6'10M and 7'3XH. I also have Loomis rods and at least one Diawa.

I'd like to get more Exprides before they raise their prices. just don't know which one (or two) I need...

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:09 pm
Megabass rods were already overpriced, not to mention the ongoing breakage issues. They are irrelevant at this point, imho.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. =D>

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:22 am

I guess I just count myself thankful I haven't had any issues with my beloved brand :P although as I type I may have just cursed myself :lol:

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:34 am

Shimano's going to increase in price in February too so nothing changes. I own a lot of MB rods in my time but am always left expecting more from the ones I've gotten rid of. The ones I've kept have exceeded my expectations. They're still rods in the MB lineup that Shimano has no answer for. For example MB Orochi XX Ronin.
Long live the Jerkbait

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
These are my thoughts exactly! Orochi perfect pitch weighing 6.2oz and the Aklys 11oz is just ridiculous for the price point!
The sensitivity of the Expride is way better also.
Everyone keeps saying Shimano is raising prices on the 1st but I haven't heard anything official on that. I pre-ordered the new Expride B at the same price as the current ones so who knows. Expride over Orochi, Poison Adrena over P5 and Zodias over levante!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 am

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:42 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:09 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
These are my thoughts exactly! Orochi perfect pitch weighing 6.2oz and the Aklys 11oz is just ridiculous for the price point!
Everyone keeps saying Shimano is raising prices on the 1st but I haven't heard anything official on that. I pre-ordered the new Expride B at the same price as the current ones so who knows. Expride over Orochi, Poison Adrena over P5 and Zodias over levante!
6.2 oz doesn't seem bad at all for a H/XH rod. Some other brands rods might be lighter but they are usually incomplete missing key components like lock nuts that conceal threads winding checks, butt caps or offer a complete build but have weak power or more moderate taper blanks like the PA. Thats got to be the result of making crazy light weight blanks. I can't imagine that outcome was anything but a compromise. For example, many don't even consider the 72H PA to even be a real H because its so weak in power. I'm eyeing that rod as an all around MH candidate and the 73"MH" as a M+ ro replace my gen 1 72M Zodia which I use the shot out of.

I don't mind paying a weight penalty though to get a rod that looks finished as long as it is balanced and the weight penalty is reasonable. The gen 1 xx rods are my limit though. My gen 1 PP is heavy but for the XH power it's not bad. My MH EMTF weighs almost as much as my PP which is a more than a bit much for a MH rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:24 am

I remember when IMX was around $225-$250 and GLX was $325-$350... given the state of the global supply chain, price increases are inevitable in everything ... find what you value most, stick to it, and be thankful you don't feel the obligation to try the different brands we do each year :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:59 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:42 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:09 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
6.2 oz doesn't seem bad at all for a H/XH rod. Some other brands rods might be lighter but they are usually incomplete missing key components like lock nuts that conceal threads winding checks, butt caps or offer a complete build but have weak power or more moderate taper blanks like the PA. Thats got to be the result of making crazy light weight blanks. I can't imagine that outcome was anything but a compromise. For example, many don't even consider the 72H PA to even be a real H because its so weak in power. I'm eyeing that rod as an all around MH candidate and the 73"MH" as a M+ ro replace my gen 1 72M Zodia which I use the shot out of.

I don't mind paying a weight penalty though to get a rod that looks finished as long as it is balanced and the weight penalty is reasonable. The gen 1 xx rods are my limit though. My gen 1 PP is heavy but for the XH power it's not bad. My MH EMTF weighs almost as much as my PP which is a more than a bit much for a MH rod.
I've had the PP and it's nowhere near an XH and it is infact a more moderate action. You're right on the 72h Adrena being a true MH though(I have that one too). But I wouldn't say it's "weak in power" by any means.
And there are plenty of rods out there that are "complete" and finished, have more power and weigh way less. One example, the 76xh Adrena is a true H/F, longer than the PP and weighs only 4.4oz. Another example, the Dobyns Extreme HP 745 S/H, longer, more power and weights in at 4.8oz. One more, 73xh Expride, way more power, longer and weighs in at 4.6oz.
It gets even worse if you start taking about the Aklys! The Expride 711xh, more power, 1" longer and weighs 5.8oz. All of these rods I mentioned are perfectly balanced, beautifully finished/complete and arguably more sensitive as well.
The list goes on and on but the truth is that the Orochi XX line is unnecessarily heavy and way overpriced, especially now with the increase!