NRX+ 822 DSR vs Steez AGS Med Lt Finesse Game Special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

NRX+ 822 DSR vs Steez AGS Med Lt Finesse Game Special

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 am

I currently use a 1st generation NRX 822 DSR and am looking to replace it with the NRX+ or Steez AGS Finesse Game Special. Has anyone used both of these rods? How do they compare in terms of sensitivity, power, and action? Is one more comfortable than the other?

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX+ 822 DSR vs Steez AGS Med Lt Finesse Game Special

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:53 pm

DSR is a one trick pony for the most part. The AGS ML can do a ton of things well. I have owned almost ever steez model except the new one in ML and I do have a few of the new model in 7-6 and M. I have also owned the DSR you have. Great rod but limited if you want to fish other techniques. Hope this helps! Both sweet rods though.
Philippians 4:6

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 am

njbasscat wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 am
I currently use a 1st generation NRX 822 DSR and am looking to replace it with the NRX+ or Steez AGS Finesse Game Special. Has anyone used both of these rods? How do they compare in terms of sensitivity, power, and action? Is one more comfortable than the other?
Don't have the old DSR or the Steez FGS but the new NRX+ DSR is certainly not a one trick pony. I've been able to drop shot, ned rig and even throw a Vision 110 and smaller jerkbaits (which is over the weight rating) and land a 5.7lb smallie with zero issues. The blank is pretty crisp, recovers quickly, has a faster action for better line line hooksets. I wouldn't call it a true xtrafast though. The rod bends almost half way through the blank to keep fish pinned but there's considerable lift power too . As for sensitivity, I found it to be very sensitivity. Much more so compared to the MB XX Ronin or Destroyer Addermine but not as sensitive as a NRX 894c... I know I'm comparing different rods that are built for different techniques but judging purely from a bottom contact perspective with the rods I have, it's right up there with the best. It's a joy to fish. The handle is perfect for someone like me who likes to choke up and have a finger on the blank. I have a Vanford 2500 on it and the combo really just floats in your hand. Truly a joy to fish.
Long live the Jerkbait

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 am

wow! if you are throwing 110's and doing that on the new plus then its a complete change from the original series.
Philippians 4:6

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:58 am

hmnginmn wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 am
njbasscat wrote:
Don't have the old DSR or the Steez FGS but the new NRX+ DSR is certainly not a one trick pony. I've been able to drop shot, ned rig and even throw a Vision 110 and smaller jerkbaits (which is over the weight rating) and land a 5.7lb smallie with zero issues. The blank is pretty crisp, recovers quickly, has a faster action for better line line hooksets. I wouldn't call it a true xtrafast though. The rod bends almost half way through the blank to keep fish pinned but there's considerable lift power too . As for sensitivity, I found it to be very sensitivity. Much more so compared to the MB XX Ronin or Destroyer Addermine but not as sensitive as a NRX 894c... I know I'm comparing different rods that are built for different techniques but judging purely from a bottom contact perspective with the rods I have, it's right up there with the best. It's a joy to fish. The handle is perfect for someone like me who likes to choke up and have a finger on the blank. I have a Vanford 2500 on it and the combo really just floats in your hand. Truly a joy to fish.
so it seems new 822DSR can handle both vertical drop shot and cast/retrieve style equally well? if this is truly the case I may have to grab one...

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 am

I should have included that I will just be using a drop shot with 1/8 oz weight and small plastic. Does either rod excel at this? I’m leaning towards the Steez, just want to make sure the sensitivity matches the NRX+. I catch them here where sand transitions to grass and I need a rod that can feel this.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:22 am

njbasscat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 am
I should have included that I will just be using a drop shot with 1/8 oz weight and small plastic. Does either rod excel at this? I’m leaning towards the Steez, just want to make sure the sensitivity matches the NRX+. I catch them here where sand transitions to grass and I need a rod that can feel this.
The 822 DSR definitely excels at 1/8oz + trailer dropshotting. I've gone up to 3/8oz weights, but IMO the rod is too maxed out at that point - I think 3/32-3/16oz is sweet spot and 1/4oz is possible. It has NRX sensitivity, a great tip for dropshotting (rather soft) and enough backbone to force big bass out of dock pilings (within reason of course, you're on a ML rod with 8lbs line or less).

Personally, I've never wanted to throw anything else on the DSR. If others on this board attest to its versatility that's great, to me it's indeed a dedicated dropshot rod. The tip of the DSR is different from a JWR tip because it's designed to only drag about half of the thrown weight across the ground (while a JWR tip needs to drag the entire weight along the ground, shake it free etc.) Because of that, the 822 DSR tip is significantly softer than that of the 852 JWR, and that makes dropshotting a most sensitive affair.

I haven't fished the Steez ML that's in contention so I can't compare it. If it is a universal ML rod, I expect that its tip needs to be a jack of all trades kinda tip that will be very good for dropshotting, but not as specialized as the NRX one (in Loomis terms, it needs to be a compromise of a JWR tip AND a DSR tip).

I do have the new 6'9" M Steez and the 7'6" MML Steez in both red and blue and if they're any indication, the Finesse Game Special will be a great rod for sure. The old and new Steez are actually a great case study for what I'm asserting up top: the blue 76MML has a softer tip than the new red one. I use the 76MML a lot for heavy deep water dropshotting (1/4oz and upward) and I haven't sold the blue 76MML yet because to me, its softer tip still makes it the better DS rod. I throw tubes, small jigs etc. (anything where the whole bait drags across the ground) on the red Steez, but I still prefer the blue Steez for dropshotting.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm

I have the Finesse Game Special, more like a ST. Croix medium powerwise, it struggles to load up and cast a trick worm with a 1/16 shakyhead, I'm actually just gonna sell mine because I'd rather use my medium casting rods over this guy.

A much better comparison to the Loomis is a Legend X, Elite or Xtreme in 6ft10 ML Xfast, slightly more versatile than the 822 DSR.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:16 am

StymoDe wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:58 am
hmnginmn wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 am
njbasscat wrote:
so it seems new 822DSR can handle both vertical drop shot and cast/retrieve style equally well? if this is truly the case I may have to grab one...
It can do casting but with a 1/8oz sinker max with trailer. Drop shots suck at casting in general so wouldn't be my first rod I pick up for casting drop shots. 822dsr would be a good ned rig rod too
Long live the Jerkbait