Shimano Expride B Spinning Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano Expride B Spinning Rods

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Looks like they made the handle the correct way! I'm surprised to see how few make uplocking reel seats...it must be difficult to make it that way?

Looking forward to hearing what people say about these because I'm looking to replace a few Dobyns that I have.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Expride B Spinning Rods

Post by MeatHead » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:07 pm

I'm extremely interested in these. Was very close to ordering my first Poison Adrena, but now thinking of saving some $ and ordering one of these instead.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm

I would not expect too much of the differences other than handle and reel seat. new Exprides look nicer, slightly lighter, basically the same blank from what I can tell...Adrena should still be noticeably more crisp and sensitive.

Why don't Shimano offer same and all models here and Japan? at least for the one piece

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm

To me, shimano made the new handle wrong. I dont like the forward grip design. I dont hold my rod with most of my fingers in front of the reel foot.
I guess I'll just hold on to my old models.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 pm

mrpao wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm
To me, shimano made the new handle wrong.
You're just holding it wrong! :lol:

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:55 pm

reason162 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 pm
mrpao wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm
To me, shimano made the new handle wrong.
You're just holding it wrong! :lol:
Seriously! I don't know how you hold behind!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm
I would not expect too much of the differences other than handle and reel seat. new Exprides look nicer, slightly lighter, basically the same blank from what I can tell...Adrena should still be noticeably more crisp and sensitive.

Why don't Shimano offer same and all models here and Japan? at least for the one piece
Lighter across the whole blank and up to 30% improved sensitivity sounds more than just the same blank. I get that it's not at the same level as a Poison Adrena, but the price point and design has me really interested.

I'm fishing 15# braid to fluorocarbon leader and use a spinning rod MAYBE 4 times a year.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm

The Expride B video I watched says “Carbon Monocoque - up to 30% increased sensitivity”, which quite frankly sounds like marketing BS to me. To pin better sensitivity on a section of the rod that you rarely even hold… nah.

I have the Expride, PA and PG version of the same Shimano model. Two have a carbon monocoque, the Expride doesn’t. There’s no way I pin the increased sensitivity of the the higher end models on the handle rather than the blank. The highest end version (Poison Glorious) doesn’t even come as a one-piece rod! It’s always a one-piece blank and the handle, connected at the reel nut. I theoretically could stick an Expride or PA blank (trimmed at the same length) into my PG handle; but I very much doubt I’d get increased sensitivity from that.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:06 am

StymoDe wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm
It is similar here in EU. The two piece models are more popular here, yet they mostly import the one-piece versions and the selection is extremely limited. I'm not sure how they decide what they offer in markets outside of Japan.
I did not yet see what they are going to offer here in EU, but it is a pretty good chance that if I want a certain rod from this series, I have to order from Japan. I bought my 610 medium from Japan as well...

Here is the Japanese lineup:
https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/ ... ifications

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:14 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm
The Expride B video I watched says “Carbon Monocoque - up to 30% increased sensitivity”, which quite frankly sounds like marketing BS to me. To pin better sensitivity on a section of the rod that you rarely even hold… nah.
in my view the up to 30% increased sensitivity is a myth built upon some vibration theory/models and I agree it is just marketing - there is no way to prove this in the real world. just ask how much better the new Zodias is than the old ones and you would probably get answers all over the place

I do hope new Exprides are somehow more sensitive though, even just slightly. I have quite a few Exprides and they were some of my main toys over the past 3 seasons. I have been trying hard to find an alternative around the same price point, Orochi Xx and Tatula Elite AGS came close but failed in the end, and the main reason for that at least to me is that Exprides are better rounded, more so than their competitors at the price level. their sensitivity do not exceed their price point though, which is fair to me, and i ended up having to pay more for higher end stuff to escalate my experience lol

and I also have to stay with Exprides for some more time as I've ordered a couple new models. :laugh1:

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:04 am

I love the new handle design. I'm also glad they kept it cork too.
A new Expride casting rod was all that was on my radar. After seeing the spinning rods, they're on my list too!

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:37 pm

godshippy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:22 pm
Looks like they made the handle the correct way! I'm surprised to see how few make uplocking reel seats...it must be difficult to make it that way?
It looks similar to the reel seat/handle on the Conquest and some of the G Loomis rods. I first used this grip on the e6x 842 and I really like it...

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:04 am

I love the cork, design, and grip but with no butt grip these handles seem like they would get beat up in rod holders and on the deck. Maybe a band of something at the end will help.
Philippians 4:6

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:30 am

I have the current 6’10 M casting rod and I love it. Paired with an Aldebaran, it is one of my favorite combos. The new model is listed as a “moderate fast” whereas the old model was a fast. I wonder if anything has changed or if it was really more of a moderate fast all along.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:45 am

I have a bunch of the casting Exprides but no spinning yet. Which spinning model would you guys recommend as an all purpose "do it all" to start with?