Destroyer P5 One Ten Special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Destroyer P5 One Ten Special

Post by jdbassman32 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 am

Possibly looking at picking up this rod and wanted to get some feedback from anyone that has used this rod. Has there been breakage issues like the US Destroyers?

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Destroyer P5 One Ten Special

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:17 pm

I had one for a short time but luckily I was on some really good fish the 5 outings with it. So I really got to test the rod with thse crazy fall smallies. What else can I say other than it does the job. I think it is more of a true JB rod versus the USA Destroyer which was 6'11 and the taper was a little different from most JB rods. This is just my opinion.

Pros: Light and balanced but it's expected being a short rod. Tackle Trap has taper listed at "slow", basically moderate but it is not soft or whippy at all. Very crisp but on load will bend correctly. Lock nut is a nice touch and hopefully doesn't have the old glue issues of the P3 and X7. Never tested sensitivity as I used it 100% for 110's.

Cons: Reel seat feels decent, on the edge of me hating it. Feels like an updated ACS reel seat, but that's the best they can do because I just hate ACS reel seats. This is preference because it depends on how you palm your reel or how big your hands/fingers are. Cosmetically P5's a little bland but again that's personal preference.

I would be totally happy with this rod but....I sold it. The reason is I kept fishing it side by side with my X7 Cyclone Advantage and I just like the X7 more. It is a fine rod though.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 am

I have the new P5 One Ten Stick and the older USA Destroyer model as well and use them both for presenting MB Vision 110's and find that the P5 version has a much better "classic" feel that I associate with fishing a Vision 110 jerkbait as opposed to the USA Destroyer One Ten which was a bit too long for me and I always seemed to either the boat gunnel on my Ranger bass boat or the rod's length makes me to veer off slightly to the side when I go to jerk on slack line. As for durability and functionality, I've been fortunate enough to not have any issues with either the older USA Destroyers (One Ten Stick, Javelins, and Otomats) or the P5 version (One Ten Sticks, Mad Bulls, Kasumi Six Elevens, or Z Crank Elseils. If you throw a lot of Vision 110's the new P5 One Ten Stick is about as good as it gets. Good luck fishing in the new year!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:58 am

City17Banner wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 am
I have the new P5 One Ten Stick and the older USA Destroyer model as well and use them both for presenting MB Vision 110's and find that the P5 version has a much better "classic" feel that I associate with fishing a Vision 110 jerkbait as opposed to the USA Destroyer One Ten which was a bit too long for me and I always seemed to either the boat gunnel on my Ranger bass boat or the rod's length makes me to veer off slightly to the side when I go to jerk on slack line. As for durability and functionality, I've been fortunate enough to not have any issues with either the older USA Destroyers (One Ten Stick, Javelins, and Otomats) or the P5 version (One Ten Sticks, Mad Bulls, Kasumi Six Elevens, or Z Crank Elseils. If you throw a lot of Vision 110's the new P5 One Ten Stick is about as good as it gets. Good luck fishing in the new year!
Sweet. I have one coming. I LOVE my Kasumi 6-11. Does the elseil load well with a 3/8oz squarebill? Trying to gauge the rods speed and power versus the kasumi.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:17 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:58 am
City17Banner wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 am
Sweet. I have one coming. I LOVE my Kasumi 6-11. Does the elseil load well with a 3/8oz squarebill? Trying to gauge the rods speed and power versus the kasumi.
I got the Z Crank Elseil specifically to throw the "new" Knuckle LD and LD Jr. as I felt these specific crankbaits were a bit too much for my Kasumi Six Elevens which as you noted are a pure joy when presenting the lighter Super Z-1 and Z-2 crankbaits.

On a related note, I'm uncertain what rod would best pair with the newly introduced Super Z-3 given its weight and extended diving lip compared to the Z-1 & Z2, so in true TT fashion, I purchased two MB Valkyrie VKC-69m+ rods to see if those might work out better for the new Super Z-3 along with the Deep-X 100 LBO. I'll be pairing one each rod with a 2021 Antares DC and a 2019 Conquest 100 DC to see which one works better on that particular rod and we'll see what happens when we finally get "soft water" in the north woods sometime in the near future.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS