USED Rod buying for Overseas

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

USED Rod buying for Overseas

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:39 pm

I've found a gem of a rod and at a gem of a price and probably less.

Pictures were provided yes, and they show the rod from the forenut and up in prestine condition
the reel seat looks good cork is okay I can probably coat it with some seal but the butt cap is ugly.. like it was sitting on something hard..

Pictures are as detailed as I can ask for but it just seem like the end cap doesnt fit the rod in terms of use..
What are your thoughts?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: USED Rod buying for Overseas

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:38 pm

Reputable seller?? If so, and if the blank and guides appear in good shape, I probably wouldn’t worry too much about the end cap. As you said, maybe it just sat on something awkward or hard and deformed slightly.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:35 am

Used rods are used, there is no way around it. If the rod has a metallic cap or something similar which is easy to scratch, this is something they cannot clean up.
People who sell used rods, they know how to clean a rod properly to look like new, but some marks cannot be removed. If the seller is reputable and the pictures show the reality, you can decide if you can live with that or not.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:35 am

If the price is right, a rod builder could always replace the butt cap, grip, and/or reel seat.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 am

keep in mind you might have additional fees when it hits the US.
Philippians 4:6

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:39 pm
I've found a gem of a rod and at a gem of a price and probably less.

Pictures were provided yes, and they show the rod from the forenut and up in prestine condition
the reel seat looks good cork is okay I can probably coat it with some seal but the butt cap is ugly.. like it was sitting on something hard..

Pictures are as detailed as I can ask for but it just seem like the end cap doesnt fit the rod in terms of use..
What are your thoughts?
I see that buttcap wear on a lot of used rods from Japan. I always chalked it up to them sticking the buttcap down on the ground being shore anglers and the ground being rocky.

As far as used rods go, I've done this 4 times. Twice from bass.co.jp because they could ship two rods in one tube for $100 at the time. I got a Jackson Super Trickster BFS rod and an Abu Fantasista Deez. Once from JDM Tackle Haven for a MB Super Destruction. Pice was great even including the shipping. Came in lower than similar or worse condition rods in the US at the time so I didn't mind paying the shipping because it cost me like $365 to my door. The last one was a Destroyer P2 F7 711X off Ebay that included shipping. Maybe a bit overpriced like most Ebay items but it's sort of a rare rod and I wanted an old MB telescopic flipping stick to pair to one of those old lefty flipping Daiwas. I think I was all in at $350 on that one.