Googan Squad makes the best rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by Johnny A » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 am

reason162 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:52 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:23 am
Had a guy furious at me one time for explaining evolutionary differences between walleye/sauger versus largemouth/smallmouth.
And that is the crux of it - religious fundamentalists reject science and reason. All humanity's achievements since the Enlightenment happened in spite of - often in the teeth of - religious authority.

Nowadays - in Western democracies anyway - the church has no power, or at least they have to compete in the marketplace of ideas like everyone else. Talk to a "moderate" priest or rabbi or deacon today, they tell you God is love...Genesis is but an allegory, of course science is real!

But don't forget when the church had power, absolute power over peasants and kings alike, how they dealt with heresy.

It's really quite simple - anyone can believe anything they like, but don't try to teach my kids magical origins of the universe, don't tell my wife her reproductive cycle is not hers to decide, don't tell me I can't love a man or a woman or someone in between - you were born in the wrong century and you can f off back in time or learn to appreciate the virtues of secular society.
EVERYTHING is religion! Climate. Medicine. Food. Energy. It never ends. Sometimes you just want to ask a person if they they have a freakin’ off switch.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:22 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 am
reason162 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Had a guy furious at me one time for explaining evolutionary differences between walleye/sauger versus largemouth/smallmouth.
And that is the crux of it - religious fundamentalists reject science and reason. All humanity's achievements since the Enlightenment happened in spite of - often in the teeth of - religious authority.

Nowadays - in Western democracies anyway - the church has no power, or at least they have to compete in the marketplace of ideas like everyone else. Talk to a "moderate" priest or rabbi or deacon today, they tell you God is love...Genesis is but an allegory, of course science is real!

But don't forget when the church had power, absolute power over peasants and kings alike, how they dealt with heresy.

It's really quite simple - anyone can believe anything they like, but don't try to teach my kids magical origins of the universe, don't tell my wife her reproductive cycle is not hers to decide, don't tell me I can't love a man or a woman or someone in between - you were born in the wrong century and you can f off back in time or learn to appreciate the virtues of secular society.
EVERYTHING is religion! Climate. Medicine. Food. Energy. It never ends. Sometimes you just want to ask a person if they they have a freakin’ off switch.
Power corrupts...Absolutely Power creates Tyrannical Rule. Any other label (called religion or not) is just a definition of how to justify the application of the oppression.

Oh yeah...Googan rods suck. LMAO.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:57 am

I had a lecturer before, who delighted in inviting the religious folk who doorknocked in his area, to come in for a drink and a chat. He had studied a lot of religious texts and would ask them their religious beliefs, then essentially show them the errors in them. None stayed around long.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:02 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:22 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 am
reason162 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Power corrupts...Absolutely Power creates Tyrannical Rule. Any other label (called religion or not) is just a definition of how to justify the application of the oppression.

Oh yeah...Googan rods suck. LMAO.
And I crap-canned their scale.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am

[/quote]

I did not read all the responses in this thread but I'm sorry if someone put a sour taste in your mouth to religion. I know my life use to be a train wreck before I found Christ. Fishing a beautiful lake with the sun coming up points me to a creator every time.
1 Peter 5:6-7
Philippians 4:6

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am
I did not read all the responses in this thread but I'm sorry if someone put a sour taste in your mouth to religion. I know my life use to be a train wreck before I found Christ. Fishing a beautiful lake with the sun coming up points me to a creator every time.
1 Peter 5:6-7
[/quote]

I respect and I am truly happy for you to have found God and Christ...as a Zen-Buddhist Bushido-Warrior I say and mean this.

Missing the point, you are (as Yoda would put it) - it is metaphorical and based upon paradigms, in that so many things that are idolized and deitised, becomes "religion". In mathematical terms, "religion ~ sum of human made laws + universal truths"...take away the human made flaws and fallacies, in your case, and you will have your personal connection to Christ.

FWIW, there is "religious fervor" over Daiwa vs Shimano alone here on TT, let alone anything of higher spiritual teachings.

I hope that makes sense.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:22 am

I gotcha Dragon. I see what your are saying there then :) No doubt about Shimano and Daiwa!
Philippians 4:6

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:40 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:22 am
I gotcha Dragon. I see what your are saying there then :) No doubt about Shimano and Daiwa!
Yeppers Bro.