Googan Squad makes the best rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm

Said a random teenager in the youtube comments.

Now that i have your full attention, have you used any of their Aliexpress grade rods?

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by CodyNeely11 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:21 pm

hahaha

no i haven't, but I felt compelled to reply based on your clickbait. =D>

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:06 pm

That same teen probably has Woo Tungsten 10% promo code in the description.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:18 am

is a Googan a millennial? Asking for a friend.
Philippians 4:6

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:54 am

Social media influence will be the death of our society as a whole. More immediately, it is killing the fishing and tackle culture we here at TT are familiar with. It has become about promoting any and every rebranded Chinese piece of crap that comes along, rather than appreciating quality gear and enjoying the sport of fishing. Twitter, YT and tiktok will be the demise of our entire civilization, mark my words.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:06 am

I totally agree with this statement. Could not have worded that better!
Philippians 4:6

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:58 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:54 am
Social media influence will be the death of our society as a whole. More immediately, it is killing the fishing and tackle culture we here at TT are familiar with. It has become about promoting any and every rebranded Chinese piece of crap that comes along, rather than appreciating quality gear and enjoying the sport of fishing. Twitter, YT and tiktok will be the demise of our entire civilization, mark my words.
As someone active on social media, I agree. Granted most of my content is BFS focused, which is a niche within a niche, I still see it. People hopping on bandwagons for views and pushing knowingly terrible products just for views. Irritating to see BFS just as a "how far can I cast this 1gr lure :shock: "instead as a functional tool. Sure, there are definitely pros to spinning gear but, that doesn't measure the fun factor. How can I enjoy fishing as much as I can??? That can be using BFS gear, tossing huge swimbaits or anything in between.

I answer so many questions from people about how light a reel can cast...when they aren't casting anything lighter than 4gr. Social media shapes people's expectations and makes them think they should be doing it just that that post or video did. So what works for you and if you find content that aligns with what you do or want to do, great.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:24 am

My brain doesn't know how to reply here. I want to bash googan stuff, talk bfs, love and rage at social media... :lol:

There are plenty of good rods on aliexpress, but your phrasing of the question is clever and nice sideways knock. Googan isn't allowed on my property.

Side tangent for the hell of it. I've been running a small youtube channel for about 3 years. It has a whopping 789 subs. I've learned so much from my own trial and error as well as consuming content from other people that put out quality content, but all the social media view driving content and clickbait is terrible. In the last year it seems everyone has a channel. Just put words in there followed by "Fishing" and you will be the next mullet rocking, brand pushing, dramatic youtube superstar sellout. I recently changed my channel name to my name and the channel has sort of evolved and declined into just my video fishing journal. My favorite thing about having the channel is going back and reliving those experiences.

This has me thinking. What channels do I actually enjoy? What channels do you all enjoy?

Here is a short list that comes to mind.
The Bait Cave
National Geographic
Trey Harpel- I just like seeing gear.
Hobie-Wan- I do watch some of your stuff and enjoy your level of BFS detail.
Tiny Boat Nation... occasionally
Intuitive Angling- Just has some interesting topics. Don't always agree with Randy, but it's fun to hear his perspective. A bit too much selling in every vid.
Tennis TV
Preston Martin- Of course I watch my own channel.

Anyway, fun thread.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:38 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Beyond pushing garbage tackle consider the dishonesty involved with "pro" staff heroes hanging different baits from the same fish, bed fishing a year's worth of social media content and swapping out the senko for w/e current hot swimbait is on the market.

Don't get me started on how these idiots spot burn every lake they go to.

I have a small YT channel and if it weren't for saltwater content here and there I would've stopped uploading years ago. The nonsense you have to do for views is only worth it to people lacking self respect.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 am

reason162 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:38 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Beyond pushing garbage tackle consider the dishonesty involved with "pro" staff heroes hanging different baits from the same fish, bed fishing a year's worth of social media content and swapping out the senko for w/e current hot swimbait is on the market.

Don't get me started on how these idiots spot burn every lake they go to.

I have a small YT channel and if it weren't for saltwater content here and there I would've stopped uploading years ago. The nonsense you have to do for views is only worth it to people lacking self respect.
Hahaha...bait hanging. I caught a bro doing that and called him out. He then tried saying I was killing trout by taking pics. I directed him to the video where I caught the fish...net, pic and back swimming in less than 15sec.

I think we are all smart enough here to filter when we see misguided content and steer clear. Can't protect everyone but, at least we can move on and fish \:D/

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

Aliexpress tier rods aren't an insult compared to what's out there for the USDM. Even the cheapest will feature, ceramic guides, low quality stainless guide frames, hidden seat threads and anodized aluminum winding checks. There's many $200 that dont feature all the above.

Top pic is a rod I have and cost me like $16. Bottom one is some USDM thing that I can't even identify. It has that generic loomis/st croix $200-$500 rod aesthetic. It's one of their rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 am

Bootytrain of The Reel Test which is actually how far can this reel throw a Red Eye Shad test is actually useful if you want to know which reel casts furthest on a bomb cast. I watched a bunch of his DC reel vids and shootouts to see how the modern reels stack up to the older DC system with the X mode. I'm eying an X mode DC reel as a deep crank reel with 30# braid.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:53 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 am
Hahaha...bait hanging. I caught a bro doing that and called him out. He then tried saying I was killing trout by taking pics. I directed him to the video where I caught the fish...net, pic and back swimming in less than 15sec.

I think we are all smart enough here to filter when we see misguided content and steer clear. Can't protect everyone but, at least we can move on and fish \:D/
I mean YT is just a platform, there are gems but 90% of it is garbage.

IG is more like 99.999% straight trash. The accounts that just post bait pics with 100k subs are the best - that mindless, formulaic question to drive "engagement" - My favorite Springtime color is RED - What's your favorite color? - and by god the sheep actually answer. As if the guy gives one shite what you think.

The internet has ruined fishing :lol:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:01 pm

are you all saying googan rods aren't the best?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:35 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:53 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 am

I mean YT is just a platform, there are gems but 90% of it is garbage.

IG is more like 99.999% straight trash. The accounts that just post bait pics with 100k subs are the best - that mindless, formulaic question to drive "engagement" - My favorite Springtime color is RED - What's your favorite color? - and by god the sheep actually answer. As if the guy gives one shite what you think.

The internet has ruined fishing :lol:
Not going to lie, I ask questions sometimes for engagement but, I actually engage back. I know what you are talking about though. Tough for authentic profiles to shine through all the Hypebeasts.

I will change back to the OP title. I haven't used Googan rods but, look like they may be OEM from wherever Favorite does their rods. Warranty can be pretty good on some products promoted by companies like this. I personally wouldn't get one but, someone may.

I have used AliExpress rods that been awesome. I have also used enthusiast tackle I felt was overhyped. Jon B of Googan Squad actually seems like he has been more authentic in his videos lately. Of course he is promoting products a company he has shares in is producing but, his content is legit.

People don't bash Daiwa or Missile baits when Ish Monroe drops the word Tatula or D-Bomb. They have to pay the bills and yes, the viewer has to hear plugs for brands. Tournament fishing doesn't guarantee money so, they need to make their money so they can fish. Pros help develop products and of course market them. It makes the fishing world go round.