Googan Squad makes the best rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by SSS » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:18 am

adam lancia wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm
Said a random teenager in the youtube comments.

Now that i have your full attention, have you used any of their Aliexpress grade rods?
Yup, I use several of them and an more than happy with all of them with the exception of one that has the reel seat come loose. That was an easy fix though. It can be a bit of a crap shoot with quality control but as long as you aren't expecting $500 craftsmanship from a $40 rod, you'll probably be happy with most of the Ali Express rods.
I actually bought a few from Ali. The first being the Kuying Teton when they came out, i still have it, and its my main UL (great rod, nothing to complain about other than the sandpaper-like cork). Last year i bought a few rods from a brand called Kingdom, and while looking better than many $250 plus rods, they were so bad that after using them three times on the water, i got rid of both rods. Have not held anything this bad in at least 15 years.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:38 am

It happens sir, it happens...I have disappointed only once for Aliexpress rod. It was under $15 rod, but practically it was useless. Actually I wouldn't take it for any price.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:36 am

Ive tried quite a few different brands of ned rig baits and the googans ratlin ned beats all the others for attracting fish. Now the durability sucks but mend-it helps a lot.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:36 am
Ive tried quite a few different brands of ned rig baits and the googans ratlin ned beats all the others for attracting fish. Now the durability sucks but mend-it helps a lot.
Their rattlin chunk is great too... used them all last season in my main line-up of trailers. Had very good results on the back of a Dirty Jigs casting jig. Durability doesn't matter to me as much if it is catching fish... if people honestly cared about that then no one would buy Yamamoto Senkos. Yet we do cause they are amazing. I think most the hate comes from jealousy. I'm not saying all their stuff is good... their rods and some of the hardbaits are probably mediocre. But my experiences with the rattlin chunk, Bandito bug and Trench hawg will keep me buying some of their stuff from here on out.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:44 pm

I bet the Googan Squad reel seats work better than the NRX reel seats did.
1-2%

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:49 pm

My gripe with YouTube fishing channels is all the filler. People intentionally talking in circles to make videos longer for the purpose of add revenue. 'The reel test' is unbearable, 40min vid with 15 adds for 5min of valuable content. I like the Punch Fishing guy but he does the circle talking too. Say the model of rod or reel your reviewing right away, link it in description and give me your opinion. Some do it right. Tom Boley is a boss, If your from WI or MN the dude is worth checking out. Just a great fisherman who does a good job of explaining himself. Mostly a walleye guy though.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:41 pm

I totally agree about the Googan stuff, and the crazy stunts people pull for more monetization of YT and IG is becoming silly stupid!

Enjoy Fishing Channel with Angler Saito is the only fishing related YT channel where I watch each and every episode, sometimes I watch episodes several times because his casting is simply phenomenal to watch!

He is also the best dressed angler on YT bar none! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQAta ... Z6zmESV92w
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm

I used to enjoy ndyakangler a lot. He does exact same kind of fishing I do and is pretty pleasant to watch in general. His older videos were great, just a first person view of a river rat in his natural habitat. His new videos feel a bit too much like content pushing but still better than 99%.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:46 pm

Garbage squad.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:25 pm

Obz wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:49 pm
My gripe with YouTube fishing channels is all the filler. People intentionally talking in circles to make videos longer for the purpose of add revenue. 'The reel test' is unbearable, 40min vid with 15 adds for 5min of valuable content. I like the Punch Fishing guy but he does the circle talking too. Say the model of rod or reel your reviewing right away, link it in description and give me your opinion. Some do it right. Tom Boley is a boss, If your from WI or MN the dude is worth checking out. Just a great fisherman who does a good job of explaining himself. Mostly a walleye guy though.
Get a free adblocker and boof no more ads

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:32 pm

rando wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm
I used to enjoy ndyakangler a lot. He does exact same kind of fishing I do and is pretty pleasant to watch in general. His older videos were great, just a first person view of a river rat in his natural habitat. His new videos feel a bit too much like content pushing but still better than 99%.
I agree, his early videos were more "spontaneous" and you got the sense that you were literally riding on his shoulder watching him catch all these beautiful smallmouth bass in these pristine fishing environments. His channel had a sense of wonder about the whole aquatic environment and it made you want to know what was going to happen on the next episode.

Ever since he went full time, the production values have improved beyond his early videos, but you are now more of a casual observer as opposed to a free spirit waiting to discover what's around the next bend in the river. It's like he became more clinical and business like about the nature of fishing and he's lost a bit of that wanderlust and wonder.

Despite this slight change, his channel is still in my top 5 fishing channels, I just don't watch every episode like I used to in the past.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:11 am

Obz wrote:
I talk in circles but, that's because I go way too in the weeds about stuff. Do people need me talking 4 min about how a BFS pitches in streams, just for me to then ramble on about flat trajectories and such??? :lol:. I don't even have monetization on, that's just me being me ](*,)
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:02 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:11 am
Obz wrote:
I talk in circles but, that's because I go way too in the weeds about stuff. Do people need me talking 4 min about how a BFS pitches in streams, just for me to then ramble on about flat trajectories and such??? :lol:. I don't even have monetization on, that's just me being me ](*,)
Sorry man, didn't realize I was calling you out, Lol. If it's not in part up to u how many adds there are, why does it seem like there are so many more when I watch ur vids? You are informative, I trust your opinion, it just sucks trying to find something specific in a video and 'bumping' into so many adds.

Oh. I haven't watched in a while but I assumed you weren't TT because you never mentioned what line You used or linked it.

Now that I bashed your channel you have a combo recommendation for me? I am kicking around getting a BFS for brookies. 8-12" is common I do little #0 #1 meps or split shot with night in. I'm looking kinda as cheap as I can go like $150.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm
interesting thread I understand the need to promote the latest gear and "hottest" bait but its crazy what people do for views on all social media. At least some of these pro's are not scantily dressed bass fishing, what these ladies are doing for views is well a "game changer" :lol:
What? You aren't a fan of beautiful girls in skimpy bikinis? :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:16 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm
BASSLAYER wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm
interesting thread I understand the need to promote the latest gear and "hottest" bait but its crazy what people do for views on all social media. At least some of these pro's are not scantily dressed bass fishing, what these ladies are doing for views is well a "game changer" :lol:
What? You aren't a fan of beautiful girls in skimpy bikinis? :lol:
What bikinis?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.