Googan Squad makes the best rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Googan Squad makes the best rods

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:16 am

Obz wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:02 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:11 am
Obz wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:49 pm
My gripe with YouTube fishing channels is all the filler. People intentionally talking in circles to make videos longer for the purpose of add revenue. 'The reel test' is unbearable, 40min vid with 15 adds for 5min of valuable content. I like the Punch Fishing guy but he does the circle talking too. Say the model of rod or reel your reviewing right away, link it in description and give me your opinion. Some do it right. Tom Boley is a boss, If your from WI or MN the dude is worth checking out. Just a great fisherman who does a good job of explaining himself. Mostly a walleye guy though.
I talk in circles but, that's because I go way too in the weeds about stuff. Do people need me talking 4 min about how a BFS pitches in streams, just for me to then ramble on about flat trajectories and such??? :lol:. I don't even have monetization on, that's just me being me ](*,)
Sorry man, didn't realize I was calling you out, Lol. If it's not in part up to u how many adds there are, why does it seem like there are so many more when I watch ur vids? You are informative, I trust your opinion, it just sucks trying to find something specific in a video and 'bumping' into so many adds.

Oh. I haven't watched in a while but I assumed you weren't TT because you never mentioned what line You used or linked it.

Now that I bashed your channel you have a combo recommendation for me? I am kicking around getting a BFS for brookies. 8-12" is common I do little #0 #1 meps or split shot with night in. I'm looking kinda as cheap as I can go like $150.
For ads, they used to be only if you monetize your channel. Ads would not show up on my channel. A while back, they started ads for everyone and if you aren't signed up, I guess that ad revenue gets split with other creators. I thought there would be less ads at least for me not monetizing...my assumption seems false.

For your BFS setup, if you have a Daiwa reel, I suggest a Roro spool. Good performance and not settling for a cheap reel. The Tsu Ares is my favorite brook trout rod. That combo will set up back about $200 but, a great setup.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:32 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:16 am
Obz wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:02 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Obz wrote:
My gripe with YouTube fishing channels is all the filler. People intentionally talking in circles to make videos longer for the purpose of add revenue. 'The reel test' is unbearable, 40min vid with 15 adds for 5min of valuable content. I like the Punch Fishing guy but he does the circle talking too. Say the model of rod or reel your reviewing right away, link it in description and give me your opinion. Some do it right. Tom Boley is a boss, If your from WI or MN the dude is worth checking out. Just a great fisherman who does a good job of explaining himself. Mostly a walleye guy though.
I talk in circles but, that's because I go way too in the weeds about stuff. Do people need me talking 4 min about how a BFS pitches in streams, just for me to then ramble on about flat trajectories and such??? :lol:. I don't even have monetization on, that's just me being me ](*,)
Sorry man, didn't realize I was calling you out, Lol. If it's not in part up to u how many adds there are, why does it seem like there are so many more when I watch ur vids? You are informative, I trust your opinion, it just sucks trying to find something specific in a video and 'bumping' into so many adds.

Oh. I haven't watched in a while but I assumed you weren't TT because you never mentioned what line You used or linked it.

Now that I bashed your channel you have a combo recommendation for me? I am kicking around getting a BFS for brookies. 8-12" is common I do little #0 #1 meps or split shot with night in. I'm looking kinda as cheap as I can go like $150.
For ads, they used to be only if you monetize your channel. Ads would not show up on my channel. A while back, they started ads for everyone and if you aren't signed up, I guess that ad revenue gets split with other creators. I thought there would be less ads at least for me not monetizing...my assumption seems false.

For your BFS setup, if you have a Daiwa reel, I suggest a Roro spool. Good performance and not settling for a cheap reel. The Tsu Ares is my favorite brook trout rod. That combo will set up back about $200 but, a great setup.
Could be cause your vids are long it just appears like more, but I don't think so, they put more ads in longer vids? Crazy you aren't making money. I feel like more of a jerk. You get similar views to people that make a living doing it. I suppose they have other sponsors and have to do other things that you may not feel is worth your time.

Much appreciated on the recommendation! I have a TD-z I can use. I also wouldn't of guessed a reg reel with a light spool would cast as well as a cheap one that was made for it. I only brook trout fish a couple times a year but it's a real tight creek so I think thumbing spool might help keep me out of the brush.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 am

Money is calculated different by genre, average view duration and all that. I wanted people to get the info they want without dealing with ads. I don't need the money from what it would bring in. Now with ads being there anyway, kinda makes me mad that I can't choose not to have ads.

Anyway...

The fixed inductor on the Roro is nice for short range casting, less thumb without being over braked. You also get to use a reel you already own and is comfortable for you. Get some micro bearings or at least just for the sideplate as the Roro spool comes with a decent bearing on the spool already.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:04 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:16 pm
new2BC4bass wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm
BASSLAYER wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm
interesting thread I understand the need to promote the latest gear and "hottest" bait but its crazy what people do for views on all social media. At least some of these pro's are not scantily dressed bass fishing, what these ladies are doing for views is well a "game changer" :lol:
What? You aren't a fan of beautiful girls in skimpy bikinis? :lol:
What bikinis?
So I haven't found the right YT channel yet? ](*,)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:24 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:04 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:16 pm
new2BC4bass wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm
BASSLAYER wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm
interesting thread I understand the need to promote the latest gear and "hottest" bait but its crazy what people do for views on all social media. At least some of these pro's are not scantily dressed bass fishing, what these ladies are doing for views is well a "game changer" :lol:
What? You aren't a fan of beautiful girls in skimpy bikinis? :lol:
What bikinis?
So I haven't found the right YT channel yet? ](*,)
Just look up a wide hashtag on IG like #fishing #panfish or whatever...you will see it. There are legit lady anglers who make quality, substantial content. I am not discrediting them or lumping them into the "promo" group.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:14 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 am
Money is calculated different by genre, average view duration and all that. I wanted people to get the info they want without dealing with ads. I don't need the money from what it would bring in. Now with ads being there anyway, kinda makes me mad that I can't choose not to have ads.

Anyway...

The fixed inductor on the Roro is nice for short range casting, less thumb without being over braked. You also get to use a reel you already own and is comfortable for you. Get some micro bearings or at least just for the sideplate as the Roro spool comes with a decent bearing on the spool already.
I think I found your YouTube channel. 'Hobie-Wan kenobi'
No ads, I thought when you Said 'I talk in circles' it was because you were 'the reel test' guy. Not because you also talked in circles. Or are both channels yours?Geez. I'm so confused.

You are from the U.P love it up there. You boys know how to sauna lol!!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:23 pm

^^^I just watched your 'alphas sv tw roro vid' thought it was great!! Your outside actually fishing and talking about the gear.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 pm

There is also a YouTube channel called 'the reel test'.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Obz wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 pm
I am aware. People make content differently and also have different perceptions.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 pm

If I were to have a channel I would strive to be like Hobie's channel. Problem is, I'd do the same as Reel Test, I'd end up using the platform to try and spread other ideas. I tried some tiktok and youtube shorts under LogicalRationalFishing, but I'm not sure fishing and theology really mix.

Now that I have a child, I would love to have a channel that talked equipment and talked logical solutions for issues in society. I think so much could be solved if people would just try and meet in the middle. I have never liked anyone talking doom and gloom. I guess it is just hard to not talk about something when you feel strongly about it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:20 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:57 pm
Obz wrote:
I am aware. People make content differently and also have different perceptions.
That's putting it kindly. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd have been a little less PC.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:07 am

Obz wrote:
The reel test is Bootytrain. He was a member a few years back.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Obz wrote:
Youtube Monetization is not a gold mine. I checked what I might be earned if I have had monetization on :D
Money.PNG
Money.PNG (141.66 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
For Me Youtube is a hobby, and learning video editing is hobby as well. Last I trained to edit video from multiple cameras. Smooth cutting is not too easy. But if I live that long that my memory is not working very well, I can at least look Me fishing on Youtube :D

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:11 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 pm
If I were to have a channel I would strive to be like Hobie's channel. Problem is, I'd do the same as Reel Test, I'd end up using the platform to try and spread other ideas. I tried some tiktok and youtube shorts under LogicalRationalFishing, but I'm not sure fishing and theology really mix.
Did I miss a rant? I was always put off by the religious cards in the beginning because they have nothing to do with fishing reels, but at least they were easy to ignore.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:44 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:11 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:18 pm
Did I miss a rant? I was always put off by the religious cards in the beginning because they have nothing to do with fishing reels, but at least they were easy to ignore.
Yeah I was just saying I've always enjoyed arguing theology but the opposite way. Saying even though I don't like his way of thinking, I understand it. Just using a platform to spread how you think. I can respect other's thoughts, but yes it has nothing to do with fishing. Would be better for a content creator to just make a different video series to discuss those things. Just odd to watch how far a reel casts but then be told Minotaurs and Hercules were real. Just a bit out there for me.