Opinions Only Fully Subjective Input, Dobyns Champ line vs Megabass Levante

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Re: Opinions Only Fully Subjective Input, Dobyns Champ line vs Megabass Levante

Post by Phish-Hunter » Tue May 10, 2022 2:10 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:25 pm
Phish-Hunter wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am
You will find a better value outside of the Levante line imo. You can probably get an Orochi XXX from Japan for about the same money, and there are some good sticks in that line. Heck, some of the P5 Destroyers for about $330 after shipping right now. The dollar is doing us favors for sure.
Also, tip-heaviness isn't always a big deal. It depends on the application.
What sites do recommend?
I don't think they are sponsors of this board, so I can't recommend them here. They aren't hard to find.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 am

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm
godshippy wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:10 pm
I also love the way the Levantes look, but all those people reporting breakages and the resdesign that just recently occurred as a response to the breakage issue has me wondering if I should really get one or not...
Shouldn't the fact that Megabass replaced affected rods, pulled them off the market and corrected the issue inspire confidence? I personally think it shows integrity. They could have handled that problem in a very different way that would have saved them a fortune, but they owned the design flaw and made it right.
This is how I looked it. :D

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 am
PursuitFishing wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
That green Levante color is one of the best looking colors to my eyes of any rod I've seen, which is why I always wanted to a get a couple.
I bank fish a lot in Oregon and there are black berry bushes and shrubs all around bank lines. A shorter rod really helps in avoiding the shrubs. I throw, jigs,, swim jigs, chatterbaits, trigs, buzzbaits, lipless, underspins, exposed hook swimbaits, and more on it.
Sorry if this is not one of your two picks, but just a suggestion

If you like green and want to consider a legitimate JDM rod, check out the Norries Road Runner Series. Plenty of Green and plenty of shorter rods. Build like tanks.

https://www.nories.com/eng/bass/rods/vo ... ation.html
Cool. I'll check em out. Never looked into Nories. Thank you.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 26, 2022 5:29 am

While I really like the taper of my Levante Jerkbait Special and it does balance out tip down for jerkbaits, it is a tip heavy rod. I have been using it as a popper rod on a fantastic late spring topwater bite and that tip heaviness is killing me. I walk my poppers and that constant movement and weird little trigger makes me have a death grip on the reel to hold on since it feels like the rod is basically triggerless and it is wearing me out. I think I can handle the nub if the rod was better balanced and light weight. I still really like the rod as a jerkbait and flatside crank rod in early spring. Going to put it away and bring out my new Otomat for squarebills and topwaters once the water hits the 60s each season.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu May 26, 2022 10:11 am

Oof...this is why I have yet to purchase a Megabass rod. I get that everyone's ideal balance is subjective but having to death grip palm your rod/reel is a big no for me. And it's not like Megabass rods are superlight either...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 26, 2022 2:18 pm

godshippy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:11 am
Oof...this is why I have yet to purchase a Megabass rod. I get that everyone's ideal balance is subjective but having to death grip palm your rod/reel is a big no for me. And it's not like Megabass rods are superlight either...
That weird little nub trigger they are using now I don't like. On a tip heavy rod like the levantes you can feel the reel and seat move in your hand on every pop or jerk of the rod. The combination of the two is really bad. My only other purchases to have this nub trigger was an xxx rod and an Outomat. The xxx rod was fine because it was balanced. I don't have the otomat but I'm sure it is perfection being a P5 rod. The levantes? Yeah... they are probably a no go for me on anymore models unless they get a proper trigger. Maybe if you palm with only 2 finger in front of the trigger it's fine but as a 3 finger in front of the trigger guy I have to lock that thing in between my pinky and ring finger and that little nub keeps trying to pop out of between the two when working a popper.