Opinions Only Fully Subjective Input, Dobyns Champ line vs Megabass Levante

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Opinions Only Fully Subjective Input, Dobyns Champ line vs Megabass Levante

Post by Preston » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am

With the cost increase from Megabass, the Levante is essentially the same cost as a Champion. I'm a fan of Dobyns rods. Have Fury, Sierra, Kaden, and Champs. For the price, I dig em, though the Fury line rarely sees use anymore. I really enjoy how Dobyns rods load, and I enjoy the nuance differences between models even within the same line.

I always wanted to try Megabass and was going to grab a Levante or two, then the price jumped...

So the topic and question is, what are your thoughts on the Champion line vs the Levante line specifically. Anything goes as long as it's an opinion. :D

Obviously the looks of the Levante exceed the Champ IMO. That green Levante color is one of the best looking colors to my eyes of any rod I've seen, which is why I always wanted to a get a couple.

Also, one of my favorite Dobyns rods is the Sierra 684c. I bank fish a lot in Oregon and there are black berry bushes and shrubs all around bank lines. A shorter rod really helps in avoiding the shrubs. Being a Seirra it loads pretty deep, which has led to a ton of versatility from that rod. I throw, jigs,, swim jigs, chatterbaits, trigs, buzzbaits, lipless, underspins, exposed hook swimbaits, and more on it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Opinions Only Fully Subjective Input, Dobyns Champ line vs Megabass Levante

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 am

Levantes are tip heavy. I would only get one for a non bottom contact technique specific void. I like the jerkbait special. For jerkbaits. If you want an affordable MB to try out then consider the used rod market.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:14 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 am
Levantes are tip heavy. I would only get one for a non bottom contact technique specific void. I like the jerkbait special. For jerkbaits. If you want an affordable MB to try out then consider the used rod market.
Damn. That's concerning. I dislike tip heavy rods. Got a St. Croix Mojo Bass years ago that was terribly balanced. I should have returned it. It's just a dust collector now.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:41 am

The Laviathan and Whip Snake are gems in the lineup.

The Perfect Pitch is 146ish grams and feels so heavy.

Dobyns 735 is 135ish grams and feels light as a feather.

My buddy bought a dozen Dobyns rods this winter and I am honestly blown away. While they aren't the lightest, they FEEL the lighter than many other rods.

I'd have no problem going full Dobyns.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:39 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:41 am
The Laviathan and Whip Snake are gems in the lineup.

The Perfect Pitch is 146ish grams and feels so heavy.

Dobyns 735 is 135ish grams and feels light as a feather.

My buddy bought a dozen Dobyns rods this winter and I am honestly blown away. While they aren't the lightest, they FEEL the lighter than many other rods.

I'd have no problem going full Dobyns.
I agree! My rods are almost full Dobyns aside from a few specialty rods mixed like the Leviathan Omega and some BFS stuff. The Whip Snake is out for me, cause I'm a snob and hate spinning reels. ](*,)

As much as I dig Dobyns, I want to branch out, just because it's fun. But, every time I try another rod manufacturer I don't like them as much.

I don't have a 735c, but my Kaden 715c and Champ 610-4c(per dobyns almost a 5power rod) is amazing, IMO. The power to subjective interpretation of rod weight is just awesome.

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am

You will find a better value outside of the Levante line imo. You can probably get an Orochi XXX from Japan for about the same money, and there are some good sticks in that line. Heck, some of the P5 Destroyers for about $330 after shipping right now. The dollar is doing us favors for sure.
Also, tip-heaviness isn't always a big deal. It depends on the application.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu May 05, 2022 12:10 pm

I also love the way the Levantes look, but all those people reporting breakages and the resdesign that just recently occurred as a response to the breakage issue has me wondering if I should really get one or not...

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm

godshippy wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:10 pm
I also love the way the Levantes look, but all those people reporting breakages and the resdesign that just recently occurred as a response to the breakage issue has me wondering if I should really get one or not...
Shouldn't the fact that Megabass replaced affected rods, pulled them off the market and corrected the issue inspire confidence? I personally think it shows integrity. They could have handled that problem in a very different way that would have saved them a fortune, but they owned the design flaw and made it right.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu May 05, 2022 6:25 pm

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am
You will find a better value outside of the Levante line imo. You can probably get an Orochi XXX from Japan for about the same money, and there are some good sticks in that line. Heck, some of the P5 Destroyers for about $330 after shipping right now. The dollar is doing us favors for sure.
Also, tip-heaviness isn't always a big deal. It depends on the application.
What sites do recommend?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat May 07, 2022 5:55 am

The Levante is a noob trap. Poor balance, poor sensitivity, expensive for what they are, but look nice to attract customers.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 07, 2022 8:19 am

SSS wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:55 am
The Levante is a noob trap. Poor balance, poor sensitivity, expensive for what they are, but look nice to attract customers.
They have good actions though. Only really worth it for a tip down rod like the jerkbait, crankbait and chatterbait sticks. Throw a Curado MGL on there and you are good to go with a resonably affordable green combo.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 am

PursuitFishing wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
That green Levante color is one of the best looking colors to my eyes of any rod I've seen, which is why I always wanted to a get a couple.
I bank fish a lot in Oregon and there are black berry bushes and shrubs all around bank lines. A shorter rod really helps in avoiding the shrubs. I throw, jigs,, swim jigs, chatterbaits, trigs, buzzbaits, lipless, underspins, exposed hook swimbaits, and more on it.
Sorry if this is not one of your two picks, but just a suggestion

If you like green and want to consider a legitimate JDM rod, check out the Norries Road Runner Series. Plenty of Green and plenty of shorter rods. Build like tanks.

https://www.nories.com/eng/bass/rods/vo ... ation.html

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:19 am
SSS wrote:
They have good actions though. Only really worth it for a tip down rod like the jerkbait, crankbait and chatterbait sticks. Throw a Curado MGL on there and you are good to go with a resonably affordable green combo.
I'd say that all Megabass rods have good action, or at least all the ones that i tried. That's the reason why i am not a Megabass hater as many are. But i would never consider getting the Levante when you can get an Expride from Japan for the same price.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 07, 2022 10:54 am

SSS wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:19 am
SSS wrote:
I'd say that all Megabass rods have good action, or at least all the ones that i tried. That's the reason why i am not a Megabass hater as many are. But i would never consider getting the Levante when you can get an Expride from Japan for the same price.
Agree although I'd put my Jerkbait Special up against any Expride for jerkbaits. That stick is really good at that one thing and balances out tip down so the poor balance isn't perceptible with that technique

mrw464
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mrw464 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:55 am

I own a 764CB RM from the Dobyn Champ Line and I've used a friend's Levante Perfect Pitch. I own the Megabass p5 destroyer tequilla bacarrac as well as the USDM Destroyer Otomat. I also own a 743 Dobyn rod in the Champ Extreme line.

I think the biggest factor is the price at which you can get these rods. As mentioned before, right now it makes more sense to bump up to the Orochi XX or P5 from the JDM side. I just snagged a P5 for $330 all-in. Makes much more sense than getting a champ at $250+tax, warranty be damned. Dobyn does generally do a lot of sales, 25% off and such.

I prefer the megabass levante/megabass generally. I'd choose Megabass unless the price difference was significant. More specific actions/applications whereas I find Dobyn rods to be rather ill-defined sometimes in their intended application. Build quality definitely better on megabass. I am not sure I have as much experience with levante's specifically as other rods; normally, I'd say Megabass has better balance (and sensitivity if pertinent). The Dobyn side is perfectly fine - if you care more about warranty, prefer the blanks, etc. I've found myself leaning more and more to JDM brands over time and away from Dobyn, St Croix, G. Loomis, etc though (so that may be my bias!).