Suggestions for dedicated chatterbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Suggestions for dedicated chatterbait rod

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:25 am

Throwing the chatterbait more this spring on my Destroyer Javelin. Missed a few bites and a had a few fish pull off on my last trip so thinking I might need to move to a glass/composite blend.

I mostly fish 3/8oz and 1/2oz jackhammers but every now and then 3/4oz. 1/2oz is what I use the most.

Some models that people seem to like are:

Expride 7'2MH Glass (who knows when these will be in stock - TW shows September?!?)
Daiwa Rebellion 7'4H Glass
Megabass Valkyrie 7'1MH
Poison Adrena 7'3MH
Poison Adrena 7'4H

I'm mostly fishing them in and around milfoil but also some target casting. What would people recommend? Any that I'm missing? I left out the IMX Pro bladed jig rod because I don't like rods with exposed reel threads.

Expride seems like it might be the best choice for the money but I have no clue when it's going to be available.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Suggestions for dedicated chatterbait rod

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 am

You are just going to miss more fish in the spring. A lot of those fish that you miss are small bucks that aren't fully committed because they are somewhere in the spawning process. You may catch a few more of those fish on a softer glass rod, but you won't be able to move big fish away from cover as easily with a softer rod. If you are a tournament fisherman that desperately needs those 1-2 pounders, go with a softer rod. Otherwise, put the hammer to them with a heavier rod. Big largies have no trouble engulfing a chatterbait.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:38 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:53 am
You are just going to miss more fish in the spring. A lot of those fish that you miss are small bucks that aren't fully committed because they are somewhere in the spawning process. You may catch a few more of those fish on a softer glass rod, but you won't be able to move big fish away from cover as easily with a softer rod. If you are a tournament fisherman that desperately needs those 1-2 pounders, go with a softer rod. Otherwise, put the hammer to them with a heavier rod. Big largies have no trouble engulfing a chatterbait.
One fish was a good fish that I had hooked up for about 10 seconds before it pulled off. I'm in the northeast so it's still pre-spawn right now, we don't have any spawners yet.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 pm

Valkaryie 72H. I have the MH and 1/2 oz chatterbait is pushing it. It's the soft tip the rod has. It flexes more than I am used to with even a 3/8 oz bait on the cast and a bigger trailer. I would want the H for 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz chatterbaits.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:04 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:38 pm
toddmc wrote:
One fish was a good fish that I had hooked up for about 10 seconds before it pulled off. I'm in the northeast so it's still pre-spawn right now, we don't have any spawners yet.
Smallmouths have a lot smaller mouths and tend to miss and come back for bladed jigs. No matter the season, smaller fish will tend to miss your bait more. I would go with a softer rod and a thinner hook for smaller or open water fish, and a thicker hook in the grass that you fish. Like any other jig, a bladed jig has weight in the front of the bait that gives the fish leverage to throw if you let them jump on any kind of rod. Keep pressure on the fish all the way in and walk the fish around the boat (if you fish from one) without changing directions. This will help. We all lose more fish if we let them jump and change directions.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm

By the time that I add a painted blade, snap, custom trailer keeper, Little Dipper, and 50 strand hand-tied skirt to my custom molded 3/8 oz. head, the total weight is 24.8 grams. This is almost an ounce. This is a bit much for many MH rods. It's a lot harder to catch fish if your rod doesn't load up and cast your bait well enough to accurately hit your targets. I always lean towards heavy rods when I get over 20 grams. The 3/8 oz. Jackhammer head is a few grams lighter than my 3/8 oz. mold. I would definitely go with a heavy rod if you use more 1/2 oz. heads. Realistically, you should have multiple bladed jig rods.

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:56 pm

I love the 7’1 MH Valkyrie. It gets my vote for a dedicated chatterbait rod.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:37 pm

Evergreen Dire Wolf

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:40 am

I also run the Valkyrie 71 MH and it’s perfect for 3/8 ounce chatterbaits with trailer, one of my favorite rods I own, I use it to throw cranks, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. Maybe the H model like was mentioned above would be better for 1/2 ounce and up. It’s beautiful stick though, can’t recommend it enough.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:48 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:38 pm
toddmc wrote:
I’ve been using the 71h valkarye for chatterbaits the past few months. My sprawning season is a distant memory now in the south. Anyway, very rarely do I miss a fish with it and it’s on the beefier side as per toddmc’s comments.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 am

I am Carbon/composite over Glass here all day. The rod will be lighter, respond faster when ripping on the bait, and be more sensitive.

I do not see missed or lost fish on a chatterbait. I throw the Jackhammer and Steez jigs and can honestly say I can't remember a fish throwing one. If they hit it I got em' and usually boat flipping under 4lbs. Usually it's a through the cheek shot or buried in the roof their mouth.

I throw it on a custom NFC Delta 693. The rod is rated to 1¹/⁴oz and I believe has a touch of glass in it. It's super light (118g), sensitive, and bends deep into the blank but is much more responsive that traditional glass would be.

I've fished my buddy's Expride MH that Matt Allen recommends and I prefer more power to rip the bait. I also love throwing it on the Daiwa Tatula Elite Skip n Jig model. Throw it with an SV103 on #15 or #17.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:50 am

Its sacrilege, I know, but I use a BPS Fish Eagle 7' MH 2 pc for 3/8-1/2 chatterbaits and the 7' hvy 2 pc rod for 3/4 chatterbaits. They are both moderate action, but not sloppy like glass. I also use 20# mono, not braid. Braid doesnt give, so if the fish surges or head shakes and you have pressure on it, that can tear a bigger hole where it is hooked. I feel that the switch to mono, more than anything else, helped me hook more fish and also keep fish pinned when I do hook up. Plus, those rods are still way lighter than any glass or even composite rod. They wont break the bank and serve the purpose better than any other rods I've tried for blade jigs, and I've tried a bunch.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:28 am

Ideally I'd rather composite over glass but I am using a rod (the Javelin) meant for cranking and still having issues letting the fish take the bait deep. Of course it may have just been one of those days where they were short striking so I will give it one more shot.

Open to other suggestions. I'm going to do another trip fishing it on my Javelin and see how I fare and if I still have issues before purchasing another rod.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 am

I hate glass rods and was looking for a new chatterbait rod this season. I ended up getting a P5 Madbull and have been using it since early March. It's been working well so far. Most fish are hooked deep and the rod has a nice slow action which helps keep them pinned. I'm going to Maine for 2 weeks in May and will fish this rod a lot, especially the first week. I'll know after this upcoming trip if this rod is the one for me.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:14 pm

I'm using the same rod for both Chatterbaits and Spinnerbaits, works well for larger Squarebill's also.