Kistler Helium?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Kistler Helium?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:28 pm

I have a Kistler Helium 7' spinning rod "NFC blank" that has the foam forgrip that has worn off, when
a reel is attached it makes a very uncomfortable handle.

This is the second time it has worn off, the first time I sent it back to Kistler and it was replaced, I do
not want to send it back again just incase Kistler decides to replace the whole rod since Kistler does not
use NFC anymore.

I wanted to see if there is a way to add a forgrip some how without tearing the handle apart and using a new one.

Here is what the original looks like
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kistler ... -KHSP.html

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kistler Helium?

Post by LowRange » Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Thick velvety heat shrink made for fishing rod handles. Shrink a few layers on at a time to build it up. May have to invest in a cheap heat gun. It's a handy tool though

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue May 10, 2022 1:31 pm

You could get creative by finding an EVA grip with an inside diameter that matches the spot on the blank. Take a razor blade and cut it in half lengthwise and slide it over the blank and glue it with a clamp of some sort so the cut gets glued back together.

The more difficult option is stripping the guides and sliding the grip down the blank to its spot. But I doubt you want to go that route.

Here's a grip you'd want to use: https://mudhole.com/collections/foregri ... 1228743813

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 10, 2022 8:25 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm
Thick velvety heat shrink made for fishing rod handles. Shrink a few layers on at a time to build it up. May have to invest in a cheap heat gun. It's a handy tool though
Nevermind I thought this was to add foam to the reel seat like the LTB rods have. The foregrip is missing :-k

Yeah time to send it to a rod builder to be gutted and refitted with a seat and grip of your liking if you really like this older rod enough to not want to risk it being replaced with a new one. For a super cheap diy work around you could try grip tape/wrap over the lock nut once a reel is mounted and leave the two together. Something like winn grip wrap. Build it up in front of the lock not and then wrap the split portion of the seat and around the reel foot/stem. Do it with a reel mounted and go nuts with grip wrap. It's ok if it color matches your reel.
Attachments
bbb6d4b3e2aef09546b4de335f0c1b74.jpg
bbb6d4b3e2aef09546b4de335f0c1b74.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Thu May 19, 2022 12:45 pm

I wouldn't mind stripping down my NFC helium and putting a new guide train and composite cork butt cap on it to help with overall balance. I love the blank, but the build definitely leaves me wanting.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat May 21, 2022 12:05 pm

Sand it smooth and use some heat shrink?