Low Down Custom Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Low Down Custom Rods

Post by goldrod » Sun May 15, 2022 10:09 pm

Anyone know what the blank is made of on the white label 8' rods?

Looking to get some feedback on this stick as it is comparable to the edge rod black widow which is a nfc blank.
Im not sure which is the better buy. I love the offset reel seat of the Edge rod but Im not sure its offered in the model below.
The LDCR seems interesting but which would you buy and why?

purpose of the rod is for soft body swim baits like the battle shad in 6" max.. Reel is a Daiwa Z

THE WORKSHOP WHITE LABEL 8' XTRA HEAVY SWIMBAIT ROD

Image of The Workshop White Label 8' Xtra Heavy Swimbait Rod
The Workshop White Label Swimbait Rod XH 3 - 8 oz in 8'.

- XHeavy Power | Slow Taper
- Length 8'
- Fuji TCSM BC Grey Seat w/Double Locking Hood
- Full Grip 16" | X Wrap
- Fuji Alconite Guides
- Fuji BCLNAG BC Grey Double Foot Spiral
- Fuji BCKBAG BC Grey Single Foot Down Position
- Fuji BCMNAT BC Grey Non Tangle Tip Top
- Right Hand Spiral Wrap
- Black Stainless Hook Hanger Down Position
- Cork Composite Butt Cap

BLACK WIDOW

20% lighter than cork and has a shelf life of 5,000 years, this tight hand woven, carbon-fiber saves weight and increases sensitivity.
Titanium frame with Zirconium insert guides are corrosion resistant (saltwater) and 40% lighter than comparable guides.
Hand-woven carbon-fiber strips amplify vibration and increase sensitivity. Each grip has a unique weave, with a satin smooth comfortable feel that becomes slightly tacky when wet

length: 8’0″
line: 20-65lb
lure: 1/2-8oz
pieces: 1
type: Swim Bait Cast
action: Mod-Fast
power: Mag Heavy
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Low Down Custom Rods

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 am

All LDC rods are made using phenix blanks. Personally if you going for a white label cost swimbait rod. Look at leviathan. They use NFC blanks, alps reel seats and Fuji guides, and they are lighter in hand too for about the same cost plus there is discount codes for leviathan out there too.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 31, 2022 6:25 am

Yup, LDCs are made with Phenix Blanks.

Personally, if you want a stick for soft bodied swimbaits, I think you should look at something with a fast taper. The slower taper rods are better for the treble hooked big baits. It's just like looking for a stick to fish jigs vs crankbaits - just a larger scale.

You could contact Mattman here and ask him to build you a stick on a Phenix Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H. The blank is only 3.7 oz. I've built one for myself that's in the process of review right now. My build came to 5.0oz. It handles so well, Zander asked me to build him one. His features a full seat, full grip and weighs 6.4oz.

Zander's caught a bunch on the stick already using a wake bait, so it can handle the treble hooked baits too. I've yet to catch on mine because I've been fishing glides and soft plastics, but this is a very surprising blank.
DSC05710.jpg
DSC05710.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
5.0oz build
USB790H-split-split.jpg
USB790H-split-split.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
6.4oz build
USB790H-zander.jpg
USB790H-zander.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2022 6:57 am

Cal wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:25 am

Personally, if you want a stick for soft bodied swimbaits, I think you should look at something with a fast taper. The slower taper rods are better for the treble hooked big baits. It's just like looking for a stick to fish jigs vs crankbaits - just a larger scale.

You could contact Mattman here and ask him to build you a stick on a Phenix Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H. The blank is only 3.7 oz. I've built one for myself that's in the process of review right now. My build came to 5.0oz. It handles so well, Zander asked me to build him one. His features a full seat, full grip and weighs 6.4oz.

Zander's caught a bunch on the stick already using a wake bait, so it can handle the treble hooked baits too. I've yet to catch on mine because I've been fishing glides and soft plastics, but this is a very surprising blank.

DSC05710.jpg

5.0oz build
USB790H-split-split.jpg

6.4oz build
USB790H-zander.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about just building it.
I was online the hour before the drop and I never saw anything as far as availability’s. It was a total bummer
Like I set alarms and all sorts of independent reminders but nothing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 31, 2022 7:18 am

Yup... drops are a PIA
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:53 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:57 am
Cal wrote:

DSC05710.jpg

5.0oz build
USB790H-split-split.jpg

6.4oz build
USB790H-zander.jpg

I was online the hour before the drop and I never saw anything as far as availability’s. It was a total bummer
If you are set on a LDC reach out to Ben via Instagram and see if you can pre order one.

Drop are such a pain.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:53 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:57 am
Cal wrote:

DSC05710.jpg

5.0oz build
USB790H-split-split.jpg

6.4oz build
USB790H-zander.jpg

If you are set on a LDC reach out to Ben via Instagram and see if you can pre order one.

Drop are such a pain.

Yes Sir
I did and the answer was no.
Definitely was a thought of mine