NRX Guides Pancaking

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX Guides Pancaking

Post by emjay » Sun May 22, 2022 9:02 am

Looking for suggestions on why a few of my recoil guides have pancaked so to speak. 3 of them are like this. The rod is 10 years old and is stored standing up all the time, never stepped on or anything like that. Of course it doesn't effect the rod in any way but I guess you can say it doesn't look pretty anymore. I'm unwilling to try to bend them back like normal in fear I might do it wrong.

Normal guide

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: NRX Guides Pancaking

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun May 22, 2022 9:41 am

TiN(nickel titanium) actually has a temper in the metal, which gives it the spring-back capability. If your guides have compacted and sat down on the blank like that, then the metal has almost certainly lost that temper, for whatever reason. Metals are weird once tempered. Any subsequent, repeatedly large temperature variance can remove or intensify the temper of a metal, such as being stored in any uncontrolled climate over a cold winter or a hot summer. Over temper will make metal brittle; under temper will make metal susceptible to breakage from flex or vibration.
I would highly recommend not trying to bend them back, because breakage will likely occur.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Mavn
Angler
Angler

Post by Mavn » Mon May 23, 2022 7:56 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:41 am
TiN(nickel titanium) actually has a temper in the metal, which gives it the spring-back capability. If your guides have compacted and sat down on the blank like that, then the metal has almost certainly lost that temper, for whatever reason. Metals are weird once tempered. Any subsequent, repeatedly large temperature variance can remove or intensify the temper of a metal, such as being stored in any uncontrolled climate over a cold winter or a hot summer. Over temper will make metal brittle; under temper will make metal susceptible to breakage from flex or vibration.
I would highly recommend not trying to bend them back, because breakage will likely occur.
I don't know a lot about TiN, but from what I can find, I don't think the temperature range seen in normal conditions would change the temper in TiN that wouldn't also adversely affect the rod itself. For TiN to normally remain in a shape it has to be held in shape and heated to 500C. Depending on the amount of usage and it's life, fatigue would be more likely.
I still wouldn't recommend trying to bend them back unless you're in the mindset of getting them replaced anyways.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon May 23, 2022 8:02 am

Never seen this before. I would email Loomis and see what they say. I don't think this will affect your line but worse case you could do their program and pay the fee for a replacement. Out of all the nrx rods I have seen someone else must have seen this before. Recoil guides have been on all their nrx rods for years.
Philippians 4:6