So what happened to Major Craft?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

So what happened to Major Craft?

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:37 am

They had a bunch of great models for a very good price. Now, they barely have anything else but a few cheapo rods and nothing new is being made. Would like a new version of the Corkish/Corzza.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: So what happened to Major Craft?

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:12 pm

It looks like they have focused mainly on the saltwater market now. I've had many emails with their overseas division manager and they said they would be expanding their bass lineup again starting this year but I've yet to see anything. Right now the days line is their nicest bass rod and while I really like them I would like to see a new MSX or something high end come out. If they would just take their t1100g 5g blanks and make some bass tapers I'd be all about them.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdp9af8Jqo-/

He's been testing the new prototype Day's models.

https://youtu.be/NiBULR2Abo0

I bought the DYC 70x because of him, says 3/8-3oz but throws the Deps 250

Hopefully they bring out models in the other lines too

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:13 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:12 pm
It looks like they have focused mainly on the saltwater market now. I've had many emails with their overseas division manager and they said they would be expanding their bass lineup again starting this year but I've yet to see anything. Right now the days line is their nicest bass rod and while I really like them I would like to see a new MSX or something high end come out. If they would just take their t1100g 5g blanks and make some bass tapers I'd be all about them.
Days and Benkei are still in production or at least still listed on the website, This is a 20 year anniversary for Major Craft so maybe a new MS version or Major Stick.
the MS-X was the 10 year anniversary models. So maybe there will be a MS-XX
I actually have a few Days rods on the way at them moment. JDM tackle heaven has good stock of them.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:57 am

The Days line is quite popular in Germany. Some claim it’s the same Blank as the Benkei only with nicer components.
The price difference to the good ol MSX is very very noticeable. It’s a shame they ditched their high end lines of rods.

If anyone is looking for the MSX - the Kuying conqueror rods are built on the same blanks. We‘ve compared them side by side, it’s true. Price used to be ridiculously low (bought my first one for 115$) couple of years back, but now it’s still a great bang for the buck. Compared to similarly priced rods.

Im in the process of changing the handle portion of a 68ML at the moment, as Major Craft / Conquerors always give you more length than you need. Still extremely balanced, still extremely light rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:52 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:57 am
The Days line is quite popular in Germany. Some claim it’s the same Blank as the Benkei only with nicer components.
The price difference to the good ol MSX is very very noticeable. It’s a shame they ditched their high end lines of rods.

If anyone is looking for the MSX - the Kuying conqueror rods are built on the same blanks. We‘ve compared them side by side, it’s true. Price used to be ridiculously low (bought my first one for 115$) couple of years back, but now it’s still a great bang for the buck. Compared to similarly priced rods.

Im in the process of changing the handle portion of a 68ML at the moment, as Major Craft / Conquerors always give you more length than you need. Still extremely balanced, still extremely light rod.
I've been eying that rod for years as potential replacement for my Volkey 682L which I finally lost. RIP. What makes you say they are are the same blank as a Majorcraft? I know they are made from Toray but do the two source their blanks from the same company rolling them? How could you even tell? Kuying used to have pics on their Aliexpress page showing already rolled blanks in boxes marked "Toray". Its possible they could be getting their blanks from the same place as Majorcraft if neither actually roll their own.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:53 pm

I thought Major Craft built their own blanks in their factory? Is Kuying buying them direct from Major Craft? When I was into Major Craft, they had pictures on their website of their plant and blank manufacturing process/equipment.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:53 pm
I thought Major Craft built their own blanks in their factory? Is Kuying buying them direct from Major Craft? When I was into Major Craft, they had pictures on their website of their plant and blank manufacturing process/equipment.
That was my understanding as well, they have their own factory in Vietnam.
Last edited by zalan on Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:39 pm

Major Craft Days series are made in Vietnam, some previous models were made in China. Vietnam has been their manufacturing base for quite some time.
Major craft also makes rods for FEED in the South East Asian market.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:47 am

They’re the same because they’re the same. I took my MH Conqueror in a local store once to see if there’s any difference to the MSX. Couldn’t find any except the cosmetics and guides. Same specs, same diameters, same cross wrap, same weight, same bend, same handle length. They even use the same font for the specs. There’s other people in Germany who compared the rods side by side out on the water. If you have them side by side it’s so obvious you can’t miss it.
The best guess is: the factory is rolling more blanks for Kuying. Where the Conquerors are made is not stated anywhere on the product or the website.
Buying the same blank from the factory that makes it sounds more plausible to us, than going to the lengths of trying to carbon copy someone elses blank…

I haven’t dug into Major Crafts communication about manufacturing so that’s a general statement: you need to be careful when anyone uses the term „our factory“… doesn’t exactly mean they own it but could also be loosely worded for their business partner.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:23 am

Seems plausible but I have also seen brands go to great lengths to copy majorcraft such as the Tsurinoya Elite BFS Volkey BFS clone I had before I even knew what a Volkey BFS was. Not saying Kuying is making clones of Majorcraft but they are very much trying to be the budget Majorcraft and slowly stepping up the price of their rods. They actually want Majorcraft money for some of them now and I would rather support Majorcraft even though I like Kuying. I just try to stay around $100 with their rods. If I'm paying Majorcraft money, I'm getting a Majorcraft. I also don't want to support Kuying's practice of encroaching on Majorcraft with cheaper rods then raising the prices once the competition is beaten. My Leadership is great but was $100 (now $160). My Teton is great but was $50 (now $70). I know everyone's prices are up but it seems like Kuying had been selling rods too cheap on purpose to undercut Majorcraft and take market share then rise the price. Still going to get a Battle Song though as long as it's still a $100 stick.
Attachments
major_craft_volkey_bfs_vkc68lbfs_casting_rod_1541918667_cce9fb2e_progressive.jpg
major_craft_volkey_bfs_vkc68lbfs_casting_rod_1541918667_cce9fb2e_progressive.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Screenshot-20190805-010135-Chrome (1).jpg
Screenshot-20190805-010135-Chrome (1).jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:56 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:47 am
I haven’t dug into Major Crafts communication about manufacturing so that’s a general statement: you need to be careful when anyone uses the term „our factory“… doesn’t exactly mean they own it but could also be loosely worded for their business partner.
This is what they have on their own site:
https://www.majorcraft.co.jp/factory?lang=en

This is their own factory and they do sell blanks/rods. They even list a minimum order quantity of 100 per model. So anyone who is brave enough to order that amount can use their blanks.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:48 am

100 isn’t even that much. Case closed :D
So even if you buy Kuying - Major craft is still earning from it. Given the fact Major Craft isn’t selling these anymore themselves I‘m not in an ethical dilemma buying the Conqueror… problem is they’re just as hard to find these days.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 am

I do not think that these are in production anymore. I think the Kuying is just leftover stock at this stage, there are not many on aliexpress now.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:59 am

I see TWH threw some more models up on their site.