X-Bites vs BC2

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

X-Bites vs BC2

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:47 am

Morning TT

Im stuck between the MB X-Bites or the Daiwa BC2 for tossing 5/16oz light Texas rigged craws and fluke jr up to a 1/2oz dark sleeper and the occasional 3/8oz underspin. I know is just probably splitting hairs maybe someone could shed some light on how these 2 rods stack up to one another? I’m also curious on how the balance, physical weight and can you run braid to leader with the connection knot going through the guides? The last part isn't a deal breaker but I prefer to run braid to leader over straight FC.

Thanks
Daniel

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: X-Bites vs BC2

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:27 am

I have both those rods. For what you say, I’d chose the X bites. I think the BC2 shines for 1/2oz+. I don’t use braid but the guides are pretty small on the X bites.

Personally, I’d choose the Steez Utility Player over both. I think it would be perfect for what you want

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:57 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:27 am
I have both those rods. For what you say, I’d chose the X bites. I think the BC2 shines for 1/2oz+. I don’t use braid but the guides are pretty small on the X bites.

Personally, I’d choose the Steez Utility Player over both. I think it would be perfect for what you want
Sorry, for the aside...but when you say 1/2oz+ for the BC2 are you only referring to total weight or could that also mean 1/2oz jigs plus plastic or 1/2 t-rigs plus plastic?

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:47 am

It can certainly be used for lighter but I’d say 1/2oz weight plus plastic. That’s just my opinion even though I believe the x bites shows a higher weight range. Again, I’d give an honest look at the UP!

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:13 am

I think the P5 Dark Sleeper and Steez Utility player are probably both better suited for those presentations. Have you considered those? The BC and X-bites are definitely more geared towards jigs and texas, while the Dark Sleeper and Utility Player can handle both bottom contact and moving baits exceptionally well. The other option is the 6'9"MH Steez if you want it a little shorter.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:47 am
Morning TT

Im stuck between the MB X-Bites or the Daiwa BC2 for tossing 5/16oz light Texas rigged craws and fluke jr up to a 1/2oz dark sleeper and the occasional 3/8oz underspin. I know is just probably splitting hairs maybe someone could shed some light on how these 2 rods stack up to one another? I’m also curious on how the balance, physical weight and can you run braid to leader with the connection knot going through the guides? The last part isn't a deal breaker but I prefer to run braid to leader over straight FC.

Thanks
Daniel
I have the X-bites, BC2, Utility Player, Target Sniper, and I had the Dark Sleeper but couldn't stand that rod... basically all the rods mentioned so far. All I can say, if you don't get the X-bites since that's what you originally asked about, IMO get the NRX+ 873 CCR and call it a day. It will do all the things you want, will jack fish with Dark Sleepers and Sleeper Gills, and the power of the hooksets are the most reliable out of all the rods mentioned. 19/20 Fish with the CCR are pinned perfectly even if you don't get a good swing on your hookset. The CCR is a special thing...

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm

To go with my previous post, between just those two with zero other options, X-bites all day. Sensitivity aside, the reel seat/nut and balance alone makes the P5s night and day better. I can't stand the nut on my AGS rods and I'm actually going to sell all of mine at this point. It's a pain in the butt to find the right reel for it, and nothing really truly feels right. Where as the P5 X-bites, the balance between my Aldebaran and Antares A is barely a 1/2 inch difference on the balance point. Because of this they feel so much lighter in hand and make bite detection easier.
Last edited by Dan B on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:44 am

I haven’t had an X-bites, but it is often referred to as a finesse jig rod. I did have the Steez Utility player. It just didn’t wow me. The AGS guides are also pretty loud with braid. I totally agree with the post above. The 873CRR is the best and most versatile rod I own. The new NRX+ version balances well and works great for bottom contact or the moving baits you describe.
Last edited by Rodster14 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:40 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm
To go with my previous post, between just those two with zero other options, X-bites all day. Sensitivity aside, the reel seat/nut and balance alone makes the P5s night and day better. I can't stand the nut on my AGS rods and I'm actually going to sell all of mine at this point. It's a pain in the butt to find the right reel for it, and nothing really truly feels right. Where as the P5 X-bites, the balance between my Aldebaran and Antares A is barely a 1/2 inch difference on the balance point. Because of this they feel so much lighter in hand and make bite detection easier.
Whatcha want for your target sniper?

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Dan B wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:04 pm
Whatcha want for your target sniper?
With current shipping costs probably $425 TYD.