7’1” MedHvy. Valkyrie

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

7’1” MedHvy. Valkyrie

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:03 pm

This model seems like the most popular rod in the line up.
I have the heavy and am just curious on what the medhvy excels at ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 7’1” MedHvy. Valkyrie

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 pm

I really like mine for buzzbaits. Great for spinnerbait too. I plan on using it for lipless as well

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:32 pm

Bladed jigs and spinnerbaits. It can handle treble hook baits too like heavier square bills, wake baits and Hybrid Hunters but really isn't a "crankbait rod". Good enough of a crankbait rod for me though.

Its the best 3/8 oz bladed jig rod in existence I think. Tip is perfect for loading up and popping a bait off grass without ripping it too far away. It casts like a fast action rod but has that glass give under load. Just a really awesome reaction bait stick. I want a 3rd Valkaryie. The H spiral wrapped rod but can't justify it. I'm way more impressed by my Valkaryies than I am my P5 and I like my P5 a lot.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:06 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:32 pm
Bladed jigs and spinnerbaits. It can handle treble hook baits too like heavier square bills, wake baits and Hybrid Hunters but really isn't a "crankbait rod". Good enough of a crankbait rod for me though.

Its the best 3/8 oz bladed jig rod in existence I think. Tip is perfect for loading up and popping a bait off grass without ripping it too far away. It casts like a fast action rod but has that glass give under load. Just a really awesome reaction bait stick. I want a 3rd Valkaryie. The H spiral wrapped rod but can't justify it. I'm way more impressed by my Valkaryies than I am my P5 and I like my P5 a lot.
This will be my third Valkyrie and I looked at the p5’s but my skepticism has gotten the better of me. I just think they did the Valkyrie line right.
I’ll give it a try to see how I like it.
I have the rod. It’s by far from what I’ve been reading one of the most popular in the line up.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:49 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:03 pm
This model seems like the most popular rod in the line up.
I have the heavy and am just curious on what the medhvy excels at ?

I use mine for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, square bills, and mid depth cranks. I think it excels at all those techniques but my favorites to use it for are chatterbaits and mid depth cranks, seems like it was built to do those perfectly.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:35 pm

LowRange wrote:

Correction, my "P5" is a US Destroyer.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:12 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:35 pm
LowRange wrote:

So you like the P5 over the Valkyrie??

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:12 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:35 pm
LowRange wrote:

So you like the P5 over the Valkyrie??
I don't have one. I have the US destroyer you sold me. For some reason I thought that was a P5. It's the Otomat and it has a great taper for topwater. Compared to the Valkaryie they both are great at their intended uses. From a cosmetic standpoint the Valkaryie has that old Megabass mojo and the US Destroyer looks like a Majorcraft or Kuying rod. Fishes great and is an excellent tool but doesn't get my enthusiast side worked up the way the Valkaryies do.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:29 am

I fished plastics on the rod last night. 4.8 weightless Deadfin Darters and 110 Gilly on a 4.0 screwlock. Actual weight is over 3/8 oz. The rod cast them well, had good enough sensitivity to detect strikes with flouro and was forgiving enough when swimming a Gilly to swing on a strike without having to feed the bait to them like I do on the jig stick. I really liked it with the slow rolled Gilly. With the Deadfin which I was fishing like a Senko or Fluke I like a lighter more crisp rod but I did stick a few when burning the bait back for the next cast that I know I would have missed on any of my other rods. This thing just has an ability to stick fish on a reaction bite that other rods will miss.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:21 pm

It’s just such a good rod. Everybody should buy one, end of story! It would be absolute perfection if it had cork!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:21 pm
It’s just such a good rod. Everybody should buy one, end of story! It would be absolute perfection if it had cork!
should be here tomorrow but the Steez HLC and valkyrie Heavy 7'1" is a marriage that will not be broken.
I threw I-Jacks, 5.8 bull flats. Gan Craft killers 1/2oz Spinnerbaits and jointed claw 178's
even caught a few

Always Faster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Always Faster » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Out of every rod I've ever purchased it is by far my favorite. The sensitivity blew away the super Diablo type L and the steez bottom contact. Though opinions vary I have used 1/4oz crankbaits on it. Catching multiple types of fish while fishing for largemouth. Walleye and smallmouth and rockbass. You can feel smallmouth hitting the lure while your reeling in a smallmouth. It's amazing. It's the only rod I have ever purchased I will not sell

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:07 pm

Always Faster wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:18 pm
Out of every rod I've ever purchased it is by far my favorite. The sensitivity blew away the super Diablo type L and the steez bottom contact. Though opinions vary I have used 1/4oz crankbaits on it. Catching multiple types of fish while fishing for largemouth. Walleye and smallmouth and rockbass. You can feel smallmouth hitting the lure while your reeling in a smallmouth. It's amazing. It's the only rod I have ever purchased I will not sell

I’m liking it.
I have a TDZ 100m on it and it’s been productive on a square bill. I've used OSP blitz and lucky craft bds and thats all i wanted this rod for.. to me the rod is exactly what I was looking for in a sQ. bill rod.. I can say the bite scare the whips out of me You feel the bite throughout the rod..lol ..Great buy thanks.. all

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:30 pm

This combo is a buzzbait MACHINE!

On a side note. Does anybody know where I could get some smoked Megabass smoked Hyperknobs for RH reels, or if they even exist? My OCD won’t let me have MB written upside down while I’m reeling.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:30 pm
This combo is a buzzbait MACHINE!

On a side note. Does anybody know where I could get some smoked Megabass smoked Hyperknobs for RH reels, or if they even exist? My OCD won’t let me have MB written upside down while I’m reeling.
They are basically unobtainum. You'd have to post a web thread for the few righties that might have some not in use or just become a hoarder and buy cheap megabass reels.