Broken ags guide

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Broken ags guide

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:02 pm

I received a Steez AGS 72H on Friday and when I removed it from the tube the first guide was broken because the lock nut was loose and sliding up and down the blank while in transit. I reached out to the shop I purchased it from on Friday. I have yet to get a response, if they don’t respond what should be my next action be?

Thanks and I appreciate the help on this issue.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Broken ags guide

Post by City17Banner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm

I recently had to perform a warranty claim with my new Steez AGS Universal Light casting rod last month. I have noted the process below for ease of use. Please ensure you double check everything as you want to make sure you explicitly follow all the directions on the claim form.

1. Download the Rod Warranty Form in PDF Format
2. Fill out the form using any PDF viewer and follow all directions as noted in the form
3. Ensure you have a printed copy of your sales receipt as well as the claim form in hard copy
4. Ship the rod back to Daiwa USA in California. Note: you will want to ensure the rod for the full value
5. Await a new replacement rod which I was quoted might take up to 6-8 weeks

Good luck and I hope it doesn't take too long for a replacement rod.

Please have a great day!

Daiwa Rod Warranty Claim Form Link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/ ... 1610590304
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:29 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm
I recently had to perform a warranty claim with my new Steez AGS Universal Light casting rod last month. I have noted the process below for ease of use. Please ensure you double check everything as you want to make sure you explicitly follow all the directions on the claim form.

2. Fill out the form using any PDF viewer and follow all directions as noted in the form
3. Ensure you have a printed copy of your sales receipt as well as the claim form in hard copy
4. Ship the rod back to Daiwa USA in California. Note: you will want to ensure the rod for the full value

Please have a great day!

Daiwa Rod Warranty Claim Form Link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/ ... 1610590304
Thank you for the response and how to file the claim with Daiwa. I’m actually hoping the shop makes it right because it was damage during shipment and not by me. It’s just frustrating and make me not even want to deal with ags guides at all

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:42 pm

Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:29 pm
City17Banner wrote:

Please have a great day!

Thank you for the response and how to file the claim with Daiwa. I’m actually hoping the shop makes it right because it was damage during shipment and not by me. It’s just frustrating and make me not even want to deal with ags guides at all
I hope the shop is allowed to do so, but from my limited understanding, Daiwa is the one in control of how damaged rods are dealt with and they want everyone to use the standard warranty claim process.

I certainly understand the frustration, my issue wasn't related to the AGS guides, so I'll keep using them since I have ten AGS guide enabled rods and have had no issues during extensive and heavy use.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:55 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:42 pm
Bay_Bassin86 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:29 pm
City17Banner wrote:

Please have a great day!

I hope the shop is allowed to do so, but from my limited understanding, Daiwa is the one in control of how damaged rods are dealt with and they want everyone to use the standard warranty claim process.

I certainly understand the frustration, my issue wasn't related to the AGS guides, so I'll keep using them since I have ten AGS guide enabled rods and have had no issues during extensive and heavy use.
I finally was able to get ahold of the shop and they sent out a replacement and I just need to send back the broken one to them

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm

Good to hear--that's how it should be handled for sure.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Indeed! That great to hear! Enjoy your new rod!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I am hearing so many issues with these guides that i would never even consider getting a rod with these.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:59 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I am hearing so many issues with these guides that i would never even consider getting a rod with these.
I bet if you tally the numbers of incidents with regular guides + ags they will be roughly the same - it just stands out bc people are already wary of "newfangled," non-metal, carbon guides, so confirmation bias kicks in overdrive when someone posts about it online (already a self-selected group).

I've had zero issues with my AGS rods - from Tatula Elites to 2 generation of Steez AGSs. In fact one advantage for me vs traditional guides is they'll never rust in some of the brackish - salt water I occasionally visit.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:59 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:59 am
SSS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I bet if you tally the numbers of incidents with regular guides + ags they will be roughly the same - it just stands out bc people are already wary of "newfangled," non-metal, carbon guides, so confirmation bias kicks in overdrive when someone posts about it online (already a self-selected group).

I've had zero issues with my AGS rods - from Tatula Elites to 2 generation of Steez AGSs. In fact one advantage for me vs traditional guides is they'll never rust in some of the brackish - salt water I occasionally visit.
ags guides are the higher end guides. if you were to compare it to standard high end guides such as the micro titanium with a torzite insert, i really doubt that they're anywhere near close. not to mention that buying standard guides isn't much of an issue, but from what i've heard, good luck getting ags guides if you're out of warranty.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:36 pm

I am very happy to hear that things are working out for you. Sometimes when things go wrong we want immediate action and I am guilty of that. One of the reasons I wanted to try the Top Gun and Harrier rods was that they didnt have the AGS guides on them.
Now I will be honest in saying I baby my AGS rods but not unlike any other rod I have and have had no issues with them.
But there is just a level of confidence that I personally have when not using a rod with AGS guides..
Please let us know how you like the rod when you get a chance to use it..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:35 am

i have 2 rods with the ags guides, and was kind of iffy about buying them used. i have had both for 2 years now with no issues.

1 of the rods is a steez 7'1 mh. back in march i latched on to a good 6-6.5# fish and was moving around the boat to land it, and happened to step off the front deck and caught the steez rod with my foot. i bent it up enough to break the epoxy and thread on 1 of the guides, but didn't break the guide. i rewrapped the guide and have had no problems

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:45 am

I use my Steez AGS rods hard. I believe I have 7 or 8 of them and haven’t had a single issue. Love the new model Steez

RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Post by RustyHook » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:39 am

Unless the guides are breaking during actual use i.e. fishing ; then the issue is how anglers are handling their rods.

If people are treating them like I see some sponsored pros treat their kit during tournaments then I would not be at all surprised the ags guides break.

They are built with maximum weight savings and vibration transmission in mind. You bang it on something hard it's gonna snap. It has not flex; not like steel. They explode not bend. Steel has a yield point it will snap back from. CF has none from a practical standpoint.

If your more the bull in the china shop kind of person then AGS might not be the rod for you.

A Takeshi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by A Takeshi » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:00 am

Hi all,

Found this post after accidentally breaking a few AGS guides on my new Steez rods. Unfortunately this was on the first outing with the new rods and it was completely on me. If any, What are my options other than purchasing new rods. Will they offer a crash replacement for set amount, or replace the guide? Totally bummed with zero catches on the rods.

Alan