What is your rod for tiny cranks ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What is your rod for tiny cranks ?

Post by KP Duty » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:41 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:48 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:18 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm
Nothing fancy. Just a Teton 662L.
I may go 6'6". I don't know why it sounds short. It's like 6-6" is the new 6'.
Look up that Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III 69B, it would be a fun little rod for smaller cranks.

Here is a video, although in Japanese and subtitles in Japanese (?).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo

From my understanding as well, Yamaga Blanks is one of the few remaining brands that essentially manufactures their own blanks, and assembled in Japan with Japanese components.

He does get his arse handed to him with the last fish hooked up in this video...it never did show him landing it, and my guess is that the Alde BFS ran out of line and/or the fish got off or broke off.
I ordeted it. Found it on ebay for $290 shipped. If it is too light in power for the lake bass around here, it will become my crappie caster.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:38 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:41 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:48 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:18 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm
Nothing fancy. Just a Teton 662L.
I may go 6'6". I don't know why it sounds short. It's like 6-6" is the new 6'.
Look up that Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III 69B, it would be a fun little rod for smaller cranks.

Here is a video, although in Japanese and subtitles in Japanese (?).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo

From my understanding as well, Yamaga Blanks is one of the few remaining brands that essentially manufactures their own blanks, and assembled in Japan with Japanese components.

He does get his arse handed to him with the last fish hooked up in this video...it never did show him landing it, and my guess is that the Alde BFS ran out of line and/or the fish got off or broke off.
I ordeted it. Found it on ebay for $290 shipped. If it is too light in power for the lake bass around here, it will become my crappie caster.
Excellent, can't wait for a review. I actually thought about this rod for small inline spinners and minnowbaits for chasing S. Platte smallies and trout back when I was in Colorado. I selected the 82B because I wanted to toss some 3/8 oz medium
diving crankbaits as well. I was able to easily cast the C'ultiva SP65 1/4 oz suspending jerkbaits with the 82B with an Ian tuned Steez 105 Limited SV and 10lb braid + leader with no issues. It also handled 1/8 oz Panther Martins, but required a more smooth and gentle cast with that non-BFS 105 SV spool and 10lb braid.

I think a true BFS reel with matching line is going to be a killer combo on that 69B.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Have you had a chance to get any time on the water with this rod yet?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:27 pm

Haven't fished it....have some household drama going on at the moment. I will say I thought it was too light in power when I pulled it out of the rod sock. Almost listed it for sale the day I got it. I don't know what I was expecting, but I don't think I have the skill to fight a bass with it.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:15 pm

I just received my Yamaga 82/B. Great price on Digitaka so I could not pass it up. Great quality as expected and exceptionally lightweight. Does not feel like a 8ft+ rod when handling it because it is so light. I plan to use it in the 3-10g range. Can't wait to try it next weekend.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:55 pm

Wow man, sorry to hear 69B might be a bit light for your intentions. I think it will handle pretty good sized fish, although it likely won't like too be much over 1/4 oz in weight for casting.

On the 82B, it is a super fun rod, but like most other rods in this series, I really think the blanks are made to be used with braid. I don't use it much since fishing in the tight areas from shore on my locals rivers makes it a bit unwieldily.

I can say these Yamaga Blanks have very strong blanks and will surprise you as to how well they will handle good sized fish. That 82B handled some nice bream and a good sized sea bass in this video.

https://youtu.be/LB_3X5fXS5Q

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 am

I thought I would try it before I sell it. I think I was expecting more backbone. Maybe it will surprise me.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 am

For me its the Major Craft Days 68L handles 5 to 10 grams easily and dose want I want. probably could cast lower weights but I don't use anything lighter. Finding the Days series of rods to be excellent value for money, great sensitivity for the price, and with stainless frame SIC fuji guide.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:49 am

I have used many rods for 2.5G Bitsy Minnows and other tiny cranks but lately, I have been using my Fenwick KTF Golden Wing GWT 62C UL J. It has a 1/32 to 3/16oz lure rating. I just got a Smith Be Sticky trout rod that will be taking over these duties.

The Fenwick has a 12Aldebaran BFS XG on it with a KTF spool with I think 6LB Sniper and the Smith Be Sticky has a Aldebaran MGL30 with an Avail ALD1518TRI spool with 4LB Sniper and a ALD15K magnet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:13 pm

John G wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:49 am
I have used many rods for 2.5G Bitsy Minnows and other tiny cranks but lately, I have been using my Fenwick KTF Golden Wing GWT 62C UL J. It has a 1/32 to 3/16oz lure rating. I just got a Smith Be Sticky trout rod that will be taking over these duties.

The Fenwick has a 12Aldebaran BFS XG on it with a KTF spool with I think 6LB Sniper and the Smith Be Sticky has a Aldebaran MGL30 with an Avail ALD1518TRI spool with 4LB Sniper and a ALD15K magnet.
Wow, schuuuweeet gear.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:13 pm
Wow, schuuuweeet gear.
Thank you. dragon, if you don't mind, what is your first name? I don't usually come here that often and so I don't remember names like I should but I think that you sold me my first Poison Glorious. A 168L Long Distance BFS.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 am

John G wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:13 pm
Wow, schuuuweeet gear.
Thank you. dragon, if you don't mind, what is your first name? I don't usually come here that often and so I don't remember names like I should but I think that you sold me my first Poison Glorious. A 168L Long Distance BFS.
My name is Van...and no that wasn't me. I've never owned a PG, most of my BFS and mag finesse started with the Pixy Airy Red around 2004 and I was using mostly custom rods for about 10 years. I only got back into factory rods around 2010 and JDM probably about 2012, so I haven't really been on the JDM rod train for very long.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:56 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 am
My name is Van...and no that wasn't me. I've never owned a PG, most of my BFS and mag finesse started with the Pixy Airy Red around 2004 and I was using mostly custom rods for about 10 years. I only got back into factory rods around 2010 and JDM probably about 2012, so I haven't really been on the JDM rod train for very long.
Oh ok. Your last name starts with an S. We are Facebook friends. :mrgreen:
I just checked and you no longer have a profile pic and I haven't seen you post anything in a long time. I hardly ever post anything but I do lurk.
Last edited by John G on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 am

John G wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:56 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 am
Oh ok. Your last name starts with an Sau. We are Facebook friends. :mrgreen:
I just checked and you no longer have a profile pic and I haven't seen you post anything in a long time. I hardly ever post anything but I do lurk.
Right on, I'll send you a PM with my mobile number. I left FascistBook a while back for reasons that should be apparent in my reply. 8-)

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:30 pm

Daiwa Black Label SG 551LRB with Daiwa Millionaire CT SV 70, 700S shallow spool and 4lb fluoro. Casting 1/8 to 3/8oz jerkbaits and cranks is butter. Those Black Label rods are the most underrated rod I’ve ever fished. Also own the Black Label SG 7’ Swimbait rod. Slow taper that has completely changed my misconception about rod tapers and how a fast taper is absolutely not ideal in a lot of situations especially when talking about casting accuracy, casting ease, and how it creates such a more natural cadence to your glidebait/Swimbait. If you’re the type that also uses the rod to create action on glidebaits instead of just the real, you’ll love this rod. You have to try it to appreciate it.