Spinning Setup -pick 4 rods for 4+ techniques

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Setup -pick 4 rods for 4+ techniques

Post by rubs96 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:07 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:50 am
If you were going to carry 4 spinning rods on your boat...which techniques would you focus those rods around? I don't get to go fishing a lot and so when I do, I want to have tied on the techniques that I will most likely use. And then, if I have to, switch to a secondary technique. So I am trying to see which techniques require/need a different rod blank makeup.
I'm thinking:
1. drop shot
2. shakey head
3. ned rig
4. weightless senko
Then from there, I can have secondary techniques for each rod.
Would you agree with this or do you think some of these techniques overlap too much and you could use the same rod and another techniqe would be better suited on a specific rod? (eg Texas rig, underspin, neko...)
Bonus points if you want to share the rods you would use for each. Thanks everyone!
Definitely a dedicated drop shot rod but only because I’ve fished the perfect rod. Ideally, the NRX+ 822S DSR. I had the NRX version and regret getting rid of it. The perfect drop shot rod for Lake St. Clair smallmouth. I used it for crappie and panfish in the spring too. The NRX+ version is on my short list of rods to buy. If you fish smallmouth with a drop shot, you need this rod - anywhere you to 15’. If you’re fishing deeper and need a larger weight (1/2oz. and up), I’d go with a longer rod with more power (e.g., GLX or NRX 852S, legend elite 7’6” MLXF, steez “the one”).

I don’t have a dedicated ned rig rod and throw it on either a ML or M power rod depending on the size of the head (or the rod I have with me). I’ll throw a shakey head on the same rod - again, depends on the size of the head and bait I’m using.

An alternative to a spinning rod for dragging tubes and throwing senkos is the NRX 893c. A nice long 7’5” MH power rod that is extremely sensitive. I know the majority of the fishermen I know throw the senko on spinning gear, but I love throwing it on my dedicated senko rod, the BCR 893 GLX.