Spinning Setup -pick 4 rods for 4+ techniques

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinning Setup -pick 4 rods for 4+ techniques

Post by clemsondds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:50 am

If you were going to carry 4 spinning rods on your boat...which techniques would you focus those rods around? I don't get to go fishing a lot and so when I do, I want to have tied on the techniques that I will most likely use. And then, if I have to, switch to a secondary technique. So I am trying to see which techniques require/need a different rod blank makeup.
I'm thinking:
1. drop shot
2. shakey head
3. ned rig
4. weightless senko
Then from there, I can have secondary techniques for each rod.
Would you agree with this or do you think some of these techniques overlap too much and you could use the same rod and another techniqe would be better suited on a specific rod? (eg Texas rig, underspin, neko...)
Bonus points if you want to share the rods you would use for each. Thanks everyone!

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spinning Setup -pick 4 rods for 4+ techniques

Post by sbd3 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:31 am

For me a medium/fast and medium-light/fast can handle all the techniques you mentioned. I'd have one of each action in two different lengths. A 7'ish m/f rod can do senkos and shakey heads, a 6'9"ish m/l rod can do neds and dropshot. Edited.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 pm

Personally, and mostly because I run braid to leader and don't want to retie a whole leader, I would have a dedicated dropshot rod.
Shakeyhead and Ned rig on the same rod.
Weightless senko and Texas rig on the same rod.
Neko would also get its own rod, and if you're up north, toss hair jigs on the same rod.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:35 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 pm
Personally, and mostly because I run braid to leader and don't want to retie a whole leader, I would have a dedicated dropshot rod.
Neko would also get its own rod, and if you're up north, toss hair jigs on the same rod.
Interesting! I'm not super familiar with neko...I've thrown it a few times. What would be the difference between a good neko rod and a senko rod?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:47 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:35 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Interesting! I'm not super familiar with neko...I've thrown it a few times. What would be the difference between a good neko rod and a senko rod?
Now that you bring it up, I kind of pigeon holed Neko rigging to a really thin, light work like the Daiwa straight worm with a light nail weight, which is what I throw a lot for smallies up here. I guess it'll depend on what the total weight of your Neko rig is.

For example, I use the new Tatula 7'6" MML for Neko rigging that specific worm and nail weight combo. Now if I were to Neko rig a senko, I would just toss that on my senko combo, strictly for the fact that I'm not sure if my Neko rod will feel overloaded with it. It's on my list to try on both combos though.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:42 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:47 pm
clemsondds wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:35 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Now that you bring it up, I kind of pigeon holed Neko rigging to a really thin, light work like the Daiwa straight worm with a light nail weight, which is what I throw a lot for smallies up here. I guess it'll depend on what the total weight of your Neko rig is.

For example, I use the new Tatula 7'6" MML for Neko rigging that specific worm and nail weight combo. Now if I were to Neko rig a senko, I would just toss that on my senko combo, strictly for the fact that I'm not sure if my Neko rod will feel overloaded with it. It's on my list to try on both combos though.
Yeh that makes sense.
Anyone else?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:04 am

I run 2 Air 6101s. 1 for drop shot and 1 for Ned. I run 2 Air 722 for shakes heads, neko rigs, sub 4" swim baits, and tubes for smallies..

A lot of spinning rods will double up unless your my wife and can't use a baitcaster. Then your running some additional MH amd H spinning rods.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:57 am

Never in a million years could I actually rationalize having 4 spinning rods on deck (I only own 2 setups and feel like it's 1 too many), but if you make me have 4 it would be:

1. Ned (NRX+ 821s NRR which I own and with a Vanquish is my favorite combo)

2. 4" wacky rigged Senko (NRX 822s SYR which I own and it's a great all around rod which is why I haven't sold it)

3. 2.8"/3.3" fat impact and 3" easy shiner on 1/12 to 1/4 jigheads (NRX+ 842s. I have an NRX 842c and have used a friend's E6X 782s and conclusion from these 2 different rods is that the 842s would do exactly what I want)

4. 65+ size jerkbaits, the one I personally reach for always is a 78 pointer (I use my 822s SYR but it's not ideal. If you make me pick a specific rod, I'd probably go with the Megabass Windbuster. Haven't used it but have heard only rave reviews about it)

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm

oops wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:57 am
Never in a million years could I actually rationalize having 4 spinning rods on deck (I only own 2 setups and feel like it's 1 too many), but if you make me have 4 it would be:

1. Ned (NRX+ 821s NRR which I own and with a Vanquish is my favorite combo)

2. 4" wacky rigged Senko (NRX 822s SYR which I own and it's a great all around rod which is why I haven't sold it)

3. 2.8"/3.3" fat impact and 3" easy shiner on 1/12 to 1/4 jigheads (NRX+ 842s. I have an NRX 842c and have used a friend's E6X 782s and conclusion from these 2 different rods is that the 842s would do exactly what I want)

4. 65+ size jerkbaits, the one I personally reach for always is a 78 pointer (I use my 822s SYR but it's not ideal. If you make me pick a specific rod, I'd probably go with the Megabass Windbuster. Haven't used it but have heard only rave reviews about it)
Thanks. Do you drop shot? If so, what rod do you do that with?
Im trying to decide between the 821nrr and 822dss

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:54 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm
Thanks. Do you drop shot? If so, what rod do you do that with?
Im trying to decide between the 821nrr and 822dss
Very rarely and I'd consider myself a pretty average dropshotter at best.

If you're fishing 1/8oz or lighter, you may like the 821s NRR, but imo the tip is too soft for anything heavier, and in my experience is definitely a bit soft on hooksets when the drop shot hooks I use. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for anything but nose hooking or with anything heavier/bigger than a 4.5" Roboworm.

My 822s SYR can handle 1/8oz+, but I'd recommend 3/16oz+. Between my 2 spinning setups, imo the SYR is much more suited to dropshotting than the NRR, but the SYR is still just a bit too fast in the tip for what I'd really want from a drop shot rod.

If you're getting a rod primarily for dropshotting, I'd absolutely go with the DSR over the NRR.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 am

Ok thanks!
I don't always have 4 spinning on deck...in fact I never have 4 on deck. But I like to have them rigged in the rod locker so they are ready to go.
So what's everyone thing:
1. Drop shot (eg NRX+ 822DSS )
2. Shakey Head (eg NRX+ 852S). -secondary: texas rig worm
3. Ned Rig (eg NRX 803S) - secondary: light swimbait/dark sleeper
4. wacky Senko weightless (eg expride 7m) secondary: neko rig

Seem like that's a good plan? Any changes you would make for your setup? (I'm fishing mostly LMB or spot)

WPrich
Angler
Angler

Post by WPrich » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm a spinning rod guy so this is a easy one for me lol.

Shaky Head - NRX+ 872S
Wacky 5" Senko and light Texas Rigs - NRX+ 852S
Neko & finesse swimbaits(2.75" - 3.25") - Conquest 842S
Ned Rig/Drop Shot - Croix Legend Elite 6'10" MLXF

Also throw 1/4 oz red-eye shads, jerkbaits, shad raps on the Conquest 842S.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 pm

WPrich wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 pm

Shaky Head - NRX+ 872S

Cool thanks! Mind sharing what makes each rod special for that technique?

WPrich
Angler
Angler

Post by WPrich » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:53 pm

clemsondds wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 pm
WPrich wrote:

Shaky Head - NRX+ 872S

872S is just perfect for shaky heads imo just soft enough tip too to whip a 1/8 oz head far yet a great backbone for hooksets and of course it's sensitive.

852S same as above but a hair more powerful to me and makes it better for Tex-posed baits. I love throwing a 4" game hawg with a 1/8 weight on it. It's the best wacky Senko rod I've used so far target casting or skipping a 5" Senko also.

Conquest the deeper flex it has vs the JWR rods make it the most versatile of them and more a do all rod. Finesse fishhead spins with a 2.8 keitech can cast them far, great with small treble hooked baits like shad raps and 1/4 red eye shads, etc. Neko rig was something I tried for first time this year and I just liked it on this rod specifically 4" Senkos with 1/16 nail weight.

The Legend Elite just a good rod I didn't want to go NRX here cause dropshot/ned isn't something I do a lot. Really soft tip and yet goes into a solid backbone and surprisingly sensitive. I have a 6'10" MXF from the same line that I had first and was my first higher end rod but wanted something for lighter baits and better casting and the MLXF filled that slot.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:00 pm

WPrich wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:53 pm
clemsondds wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 pm
WPrich wrote:

Shaky Head - NRX+ 872S

872S is just perfect for shaky heads imo just soft enough tip too to whip a 1/8 oz head far yet a great backbone for hooksets and of course it's sensitive.

852S same as above but a hair more powerful to me and makes it better for Tex-posed baits. I love throwing a 4" game hawg with a 1/8 weight on it. It's the best wacky Senko rod I've used so far target casting or skipping a 5" Senko also.

Conquest the deeper flex it has vs the JWR rods make it the most versatile of them and more a do all rod. Finesse fishhead spins with a 2.8 keitech can cast them far, great with small treble hooked baits like shad raps and 1/4 red eye shads, etc. Neko rig was something I tried for first time this year and I just liked it on this rod specifically 4" Senkos with 1/16 nail weight.

The Legend Elite just a good rod I didn't want to go NRX here cause dropshot/ned isn't something I do a lot. Really soft tip and yet goes into a solid backbone and surprisingly sensitive. I have a 6'10" MXF from the same line that I had first and was my first higher end rod but wanted something for lighter baits and better casting and the MLXF filled that slot.
Ok great! Thank you for sharing that info!