NRX 782 SJR+. Drag question. Guides?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Tweak
Angler
Angler

NRX 782 SJR+. Drag question. Guides?

Post by Tweak » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:00 am

I excitedly added an NRX 782 to my rod locker this year, but I’m experiencing something I haven’t with any of my older NRX rods and other rods as well. What seems to be happening is as I am fighting a fish the line through the guides develops so much friction (power pro and suffix 832) that the reel drag has to be backed off to near zero. I was fighting a real nice fish that I wanted to lessen drag and it was like loosening it made no difference if the rod was already loaded??

I’m baffled and hope to talk to the local Loomis rep about it at an event tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Not here to bash. I am a fan of all premium rods.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: NRX 782 SJR+. Drag question. Guides?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:45 am

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you left the drag really snug for an extended period of time? This will cause it to stick, even when you back it off. Another possibility, but not likely is, was the leader knot inside your guide train? I ask this because I've had the connection knot hang up on a guide, as well as the line roller before, when a fish had pressure on the rod. This is why I never use leaders that let the knot reach the spool, and I don't like a leader knot to get past all my guides.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Tweak
Angler
Angler

Post by Tweak » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 am

I start every day with a fresh tug on the drag for the same reason you mention. I did have a flouro leader tied on, but it hasn't been near the rod guides in the instances I experienced this. I even swapped reels one day and it made no difference.

Perhaps I should go back to the store with the rod and compare guide placement and see if something was off on this rod. I really doubt it though.

Thanks for the reply!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:04 am

Tweak wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 am
I start every day with a fresh tug on the drag for the same reason you mention. I did have a flouro leader tied on, but it hasn't been near the rod guides in the instances I experienced this. I even swapped reels one day and it made no difference.

Perhaps I should go back to the store with the rod and compare guide placement and see if something was off on this rod. I really doubt it though.

Thanks for the reply!
I've never been a fan of recoil guides myself. I use braid 90% of the time and the sound is like nails across the chalk board when you're fighting a fish. It seems to bore into my brain. Plus, I've personally seen recoil guides get grooved by straight flourocarbon, and that was both tips and guides.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.