Trika Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Trika Rods

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:35 am

How does the trigger feel? It looks similar to the Megabass P5s which aren't a good fit for my hands :(

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:51 am

I'm have big hands but it fits me well, I prefer a longer trigger but this one is fine.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:05 pm

I received my C75MHF (7'5" Medium Heavy Fast) this morning and spent the day throwing 12" worm T-rig with 1/2oz tungsten. I really like this rod. Definitely a keeper.

Pro- very sensitive. Comfortable and very light weight.
Con- action is kind of weird. Stiff with no tip section. Imagine the opposite of an MBR.

I liked it with the T-rig and also a 1/2+ jig. The rating is conservative on the high end. Sensitivity is very important to me and this rod has plenty. Nothing lacking in feeling bites and bottom composition when compared to my 873CRR which I also use sometimes 1/2oz T-rig big worm.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:47 pm

amso4 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:05 pm
I received my C75MHF (7'5" Medium Heavy Fast) this morning and spent the day throwing 12" worm T-rig with 1/2oz tungsten. I really like this rod. Definitely a keeper.

Pro- very sensitive. Comfortable and very light weight.
Con- action is kind of weird. Stiff with no tip section. Imagine the opposite of an MBR.

I liked it with the T-rig and also a 1/2+ jig. The rating is conservative on the high end. Sensitivity is very important to me and this rod has plenty. Nothing lacking in feeling bites and bottom composition when compared to my 873CRR which I also use sometimes 1/2oz T-rig big worm.
If you have the time, would you mind sharing a picture of the rod curve - under load? Stiff with no tip section? Like a broom stick type of thing?

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:47 pm

Went out again today and threw Trika again with 1/2 oz Trig Ol monster worm and a 1/2 jig. I really like the sensitivity and how the rod handles bottom contact baits. Landed a 5lb LM today and no issues.

I am getting used to unusual action. I found if I throw hard, the rod loads up and gets decent casting distance. Going to switch out the Zillion HD that is on it for a Metanium for hard casting.

Definitely a keeper for me.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:51 pm

I've gotten a little bit of time on my medium action, the action is definitely different from anything medium action I've fished before but it's definitely right on for what I bought it for. It did a good job with a topwater plug Saturday but it's going to be perfect fishing plugs inshore for reds and trout. But I was quite impressed today, a trika employee actually emailed me to check on the rod and to see if I had had a chance to get on the water with it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:16 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:51 pm
I've gotten a little bit of time on my medium action, the action is definitely different from anything medium action I've fished before but it's definitely right on for what I bought it for. It did a good job with a topwater plug Saturday but it's going to be perfect fishing plugs inshore for reds and trout. But I was quite impressed today, a trika employee actually emailed me to check on the rod and to see if I had had a chance to get on the water with it.
I'm a bit confused about what you mean regarding an irregular action. Medium describes power, action would be blank taper in roughly the upper 3rd of the blank. Is it stiffer than what you are accustomed to, or is it more parabolic? Does the blank shut off (stop bending) quickly, or does it stop flexing further down the blank?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:16 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
I'm a bit confused about what you mean regarding an irregular action. Medium describes power, action would be blank taper in roughly the upper 3rd of the blank. Is it stiffer than what you are accustomed to, or is it more parabolic? Does the blank shut off (stop bending) quickly, or does it stop flexing further down the blank?
The taper is fast like they claim except the tip down an inch or two is moderate, almost like it essentially has a two stage taper. The power is about right for a medium, that taper just gives it a different feel. Or I could be imaging everything, I'll know next weekend when I actually get some serious fishing in.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:42 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:16 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
The taper is fast like they claim except the tip down an inch or two is moderate, almost like it essentially has a two stage taper. The power is about right for a medium, that taper just gives it a different feel. Or I could be imaging everything, I'll know next weekend when I actually get some serious fishing in.
Definitely sounds interesting

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:48 am

Anyone know why these rods shot up from $299 to $349?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:11 am

DeesnaytheAngler wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:48 am
Anyone know why these rods shot up from $299 to $349?
So did the listed rod weights

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:07 pm

Anyone know the balancing point?

Also, they're using kigan guides with zirc inserts--are they the same guides that gave dobyns problems over the years?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm going back and forth on whether I want to try one of these rods or not. Their marketing claims just sound too outlandish and bullish to be true, but then again, the rods are relatively cheap, I got some disposable income, and there is a money back guarantee (minus rod shipping). So I started digging a bit deeper and tried to understand the claims:
trika1.jpg
trika1.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
2x as sensitive as competitors! That part gets me every time, because it intuitively just doesn't ring true. In fact, it doesn't seem possible! A few days ago (not sure if I was buzzed or just short on patience), I called them out on it on Instagram, and the patient (and possibly underpaid) social media manager wrote this back:
trika2.jpg
trika2.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
So all testing backing up these claims was done by a respectable 3rd party firm, and their findings are posted on the Trika webpage (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0633/ ... 1658508160). How did they test? The .pdf that they posted looks like a bunch of scientific-looking gibberish unless you really dig into it, but they measured vibration transmission between 5-150hz on their rods and 5 mysterious, never-named "competitor rods". Based on that vibration data they concluded that their rods are twice as sensitive as all high-end competitors.
trika3.jpg
trika3.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
I admit that I have NO idea how representative a vibration test like theirs is to actually & objectively determine the sensitivity of a rod. But I'm incredibly skeptical because the enthusiast community has discussed objective sensitivity measuring for a long time and nothing has ever come of it. No other rod company has every done tests like these and held them up as evidence for their rods' superiority, either.

The real question is how valid those data are, of course, and I CAN discern some of the other rods that they tested, which I’ve fished and/or owned. And THOSE results just don't make sense. They never name the competitor rods, but it's obvious from their tech paper that one of the comparison rods is a Poison Adrena while the other is probably a Conquest (might not be obvious from my screenshot, check the actual .pdf: the PA is very recognizable, and those green guide wraps from the "Casting Rods" comparison sure look like a Conquest.)
trika4.jpg
trika4.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Can we find those two rods on their comparison chart? We sure can! The Conquest costs around $735 even today, and the Poison Adrena - well, I think it used to go for about $339 and just recently jumped to ~$375 (the current listing price on TW). The Conquest must be "Rod 1" and the PA must be "Rod 4" on their chart!
trika6.jpg
trika6.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
So here's the thing: accordingly to Trika's chart, a Conquest is 46% less sensitive than a comparable Trika rod, and the Poison Adrena is 43(!)% less sensitive. In other words, according to them, a PA is more sensitive than a Conquest. I don't know about you, but that's laughable. We can discuss Conquest sensitivity all day long, but every discussion I've seen puts them on the same level (or maybe a tiny bit lower) than an NRX. Meanwhile, you won't find many experienced anglers who, after actually fishing these rods on the water, will claim that the Poison Adrena is as, if not more, sensitive as/than a Conquest/NRX.

So… yeah. None of this holds up (to me) on closer inspection. If the PA <-> Conquest comparison is this far off, I don't trust the Triza comparisons, either. I'm sure they accurately measured vibration transmission and represented that accurately, as well, but that super dry, super factual data doesn't translate to "Sensitivity" like their claim (in my book).

I might still get a Trika cause it sounds like an interesting experiment and an interesting rod. But I also dislike misleading marketing, and figured I'd point things out.

Still considering if I should I get a 7" M spinner to test things on the water for myself. I've been close to doing it a couple times :lol:

DUfishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DUfishing » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:26 am

I think you should buy one and give it a try with an open mind. If it sucks and doesn't meet your expectations, then send it back.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Trika shares their testing method here:

https://youtu.be/CldWMIExn5A
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"