It's time for a 5" fluke rod (casting rod)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

It's time for a 5" fluke rod (casting rod)

Post by oops » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:37 pm

I've fought it for far too long. I've spent a lot of time this year really figuring out what I do and don't like about the rods I own for the way I fish and which rods I can part with to feel less guilty about getting a few more.

I love 5" soft jerkbaits. They've not only found me fish when others were struggling, they've found me quality size fish when others are struggling to get anything over 10". I've used the NRX 893c for them forever. When I'm on a boat and can fish rod tip down, it's pretty darn good, but it still feels too long. From shore, this rod stinks simply due to length.

This rod will be replacing my 2nd 893c. On a boat, my first one will always have a 5" senko tied on and the 2nd one is primarily for 5" soft jerkbaits, but will see use with the fat ika, 3/16 to 3/8oz trigs and frogs (lighter cover) somewhat regularly as well. So while soft jerkbaits are what I really want the rod for, it needs to be able to do some backup duty as well.

Given what I like and dislike about the 893c I feel like I should be looking right at the 803c or possibly 853c, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions as well. I've tried to force my 842c to do soft jerkbait duty a couple times, and in addition to being way too soft on a hookset, the 7' rod often still felt just a bit too long from shore, so I think I'm really looking mostly at the shorter 803c. I haven't regularly used a casting rod under 7' since I was a child (I fished a friend's 783c recently and it felt kinda wonky at first but I got used to it), but in this situation I think it may be what I want. Hoping someone with the 803c and 853c that use it for flukes can chime and would love suggestions on other rods 7'2" or under too.

Thank you for your assistance in my never ending journey of owning too much fishing stuff!

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: It's time for a 5" fluke rod (casting rod)

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:51 pm

I really like the adrena 6'11" m+ and Phenix k2 714 for super flukes

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:47 pm

My go to favorite rod for flukes is a conquest 843. It is absolutely perfect for this task. Plus when not using it for flukes that rod can perform so many other techniques.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am

oops wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:37 pm
Hoping someone with the 803c and 853c that use it for flukes can chime and would love suggestions on other rods 7'2" or under too.

Thank you for your assistance in my never ending journey of owning too much fishing stuff!
I'm still on the lookout for the perfect fluke rod myself. The issue is that I'd like a L or ML power to work the flukes well (and feel them), but of course I fish flukes in situations (weeds, tules etc.) where a heavier power is indicated. I had my best fluke bite this season on a MB Triza Lopros (F2 power) on 6 pound test, in a bowl right next to a tule point. Caught two mid-5ers, managed to keep them in open water, and the fight was a lot of fun (when I wasn't sweating blood). If you haven't fished a fluke on such light gear I recommend it, even if just to get perspective on how broomsticky our regular rods actually are. But you just can't throw a fluke into grass on an F2 rod with light line :(

Other rods I've tried over the last year:
NRX 852C - works pretty well, and that rod has M-like power. But I find the tip a bit too fast.
Phenix K2 713 - works well, but too light around cover.
Phenix K2 714 - has the right amount of power, but the tip feels a bit too heavy to work the bait.
Poison Glorious 6'10" M - one of my favorites, need to try it more. Tip is a bit too stiff. (Maybe I should try the Expride instead.)
GLX 843 MBR - right amount of power, tip too heavy.
Steez 7'6" MML - could be great, but way too long.
Steez 6'9" Universal Light - my favorite of the bunch. It's still too heavy for a 5" fluke, but IMO it whips them the best at this level of power.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:42 am

If you are casting to shoreline targets where you need to pull fish away from cover or structure, go with a heavier fluke-style bait like a D-Shad or a Shiver Glide. You will be able to use heavier tackle like a M or MH rod with the heavier fluke style baits. You are stuck using a ML or lighter rods and a really light spool to fish the super fluke most efficiently on casting tackle. I use the super fluke more for fast moving open water schools of bait, not shoreline cover. You need the longest cast possible in this situation. I prefer a spinning rod with light braid.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:43 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am
oops wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:37 pm
Hoping someone with the 803c and 853c that use it for flukes can chime and would love suggestions on other rods 7'2" or under too.

I'm still on the lookout for the perfect fluke rod myself. The issue is that I'd like a L or ML power to work the flukes well (and feel them), but of course I fish flukes in situations (weeds, tules etc.) where a heavier power is indicated. I had my best fluke bite this season on a MB Triza Lopros (F2 power) on 6 pound test, in a bowl right next to a tule point. Caught two mid-5ers, managed to keep them in open water, and the fight was a lot of fun (when I wasn't sweating blood). If you haven't fished a fluke on such light gear I recommend it, even if just to get perspective on how broomsticky our regular rods actually are. But you just can't throw a fluke into grass on an F2 rod with light line :(

Other rods I've tried over the last year:
NRX 852C - works pretty well, and that rod has M-like power. But I find the tip a bit too fast.
Phenix K2 713 - works well, but too light around cover.
Phenix K2 714 - has the right amount of power, but the tip feels a bit too heavy to work the bait.
Poison Glorious 6'10" M - one of my favorites, need to try it more. Tip is a bit too stiff. (Maybe I should try the Expride instead.)
GLX 843 MBR - right amount of power, tip too heavy.
Steez 7'6" MML - could be great, but way too long.
Steez 6'9" Universal Light - my favorite of the bunch. It's still too heavy for a 5" fluke, but IMO it whips them the best at this level of power.
I have an original Kistler Helium LTA 7' medium that was missing 2 or 3 inches when I bought it out was actually a factory refurbished rod. Anyhow, this is my fluke rod. I have it posted with an OG Steez that has an SV105 spool with a Rays Studio gold inductor and stiffer spring swapped in, along with upgraded bearings. It's spooled with 20# 832 and anywhere from an 8#-17# FC leader depending on cover. I can cast a super fluke as far as I could need to from shore, and that's with a light wire 3/0 Owner hook. One day I'm going to find a comparable blank and build a custom fluke rod so I can retire this one.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:52 am

I use a custom Rainshadow RX7 (old USA-made blank) ISJ781. The rod has a ML tip with a M+, maybe MH, backbone. It is spiral-wrapped with micros and I fish it with a Tatula 80 and 15# braid. A fluke or trick worm is on that combo all the time. I can drive home a 4/0 worm hook all day long. That tip is just magical when casting and working the bait.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:43 pm

I am a fluke fanatic and I have settled on a St. Croix Avid 63 medium/exfast as my rod for them. I’m using an Alphis Finesse custom with a DIY Spool loaded w/ 30 pound J-braid to a 16 pound Sunline F100 leader.

I like a St Croix medium because I feel like it’s light enough to load well with a Zoom Super but has enough ass that I can confidently fish weedlines. I really like their version of the xfast taper, it’s exactly what I’m looking for where I want to make short but aggressive jerk/twitches. I wanted a very short rod because I’m often on foot fishing around all sorts of terrible shoreline cover so being able to cast in restricted spaces is a must. I also very much prefer to work a fluke tip down.

The real/spool/line was a result of a tremendous amount of experimentation/wasted line. I wanted something strong enough to fish in light cover and around heavier stuff but at the same time I didn’t want to use braid because I get so many bytes while the fluke is drifting after a jerk. I kept trying to make 14 to 16 pound fluorocarbon work but due to the conditions I fish and how I like to work a fluke, I was constantly getting slack line on the spool, which caused all sorts of handling/casting issues. As much as I dislike braid 2 L, it’s been the best compromise for this application. I use a super shallow spool to mitigate any loose line dig in and because my casting stroke is often restricted, the Finesse oriented reel/spool lets me achieve reasonable casts when all I can do is swing the rod in a very tight arc, just enough to load the tip.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:53 pm

This is a great read and very interesting
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:10 pm

NRX 843c with 20# braid. Usually fishing the grass edges.