Jerkbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Jerkbait rod

Post by johnmyers » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:24 am

What is your best jerkbait rod casting and spinning. I fish a lot of Vision 110s and 110 jrs

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jerkbait rod

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:43 am

I'm a jerkbait fishing nut. The Megabass Valkyrie 6-11 spinner is the best one I have ever fished. I sold it to try something else and that was a huge mistake. 842C or 842S is a close second. I know the 6-10 expride caster is popular too but if you fish the valkyrie you will not put it down. It has a graphite/glass blend and basically works the bait just perfect but when you get a fish on it has a deep parabolic bend and they can not toss the 110. Not a cheap stick though.
Philippians 4:6

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:49 pm

For me it's that Expride 6'10" M. The best jerkbaits rods have a very specialized taper IMO with a Fast, crisp tip that transitions into a Moderate taper that bends deep into the blank. That way you can whip the bait around quickly and the rod transition into the moderate blank to ease off that whip (the jerkbait has the correct "braking" profile). And the moderate taper deeper in the blank keep the fish pinned once you got them on small treble hooks.

Shimano has that taper in most of its rods up and down the product lines, but the too-high-end rods become too stiff. The Expride is at the sweet spot. Never tried the Valkyrie so I can't compare. I've enjoyed the Orochi XX F3.5-Shakyhead as a spinning rod for jerkbaits, though.

Phenix K2 713 for Vision 110jrs (it's too light for the actual 110). Steez Universal Light does a decent job but IMO shuts down too quickly in the blank, it doesn't have that braking profile the Expride has.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:00 pm

Racing design 610ml+ shallow cover finesse, 6’9” EG stallion GT, or B69mh Luxxe Oltre. All 3 have fully supped up steezes. Whatever one is available at the time gets the Jerkbait tied on. All 3 are under 7’ and make working them great. Since the reels are customized I can cast as far as the amount of line on the spool will let me.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 am

Daiwa tatula 701mrb. Why pay more, especially for jerkbait fishing where sensitivity isn't paramount to success.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:24 am

I use my nrx 802s.

I'm all about using rods for multiple techniques. I use the 802s for many techniques. Top water popper and jerk baits are two of my favourites.
1-2%

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:27 pm

Mine has always been the St. Croix LE 6'8" MXF for 1/4 - 3/8 oz. Originally they labeled it as a topwater rod and yeah, topwater is what I mainly use it for. When I first started with some Salmo Sting in 7 and 9's, it was perfect. Almost as if I was feeling the fish breathe on the lure before the actual bite.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:30 am

Thanks for all of the responses. I found a great deal on an NRX Plus 842s MBR I really like all of my NRX rods so hopefully this will be the same

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:12 am

Dobyns Champion 685cb is my preferred choice. I was using a 705cb, but the shorter length really helps a lot with controlling the bait and ripping at different angles.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:54 pm

I'm following. For spinning (preferred) , I used a 723 imx sjr for years....then a 6' m avid spin. They were great for 3/8oz...I'd throw 1/2oz but it was pushing it. I've tried a couple rods since, but haven't found what I'm looking for in a jerkbait spinner. Heard good things about MB spinning JB rods like the ronin.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:47 am

I rarely fish jerkbaits bigger than 3/8, so most of my preferred rods are spinning.

Surprisingly, for me, a Major Craft Corzza 6'9" MHF 2-piece with fluoro/copoly/mono is excellent for 1/2-5/8 jerkbaits. And it was $100 NIP.

Another one for 3/8-1/2 with non-braid lines is the Legit Design Wild Side 6'10" Med/mod-fast. I know some peeps been doggin' on Legit Design, but I feel some of their offerings are very good and competitive for the pricing.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:36 am

Yeah, I'm going to have to echo the Expride 610M love and specifically the previous generation's version. The new one is a bit faster than the 2017 version. I like throwing my nanahans and rosante's, little jerkbaits on a Orochi XX Whipsnake. I can chuck them a mile and it has that nice taper to fight them when I connect. If you dig around, you can find decent deals on the Expride A's now that the B's are out.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:19 am

110's
MB X4 Rattle Viper Technical Game - Nice deep bend. Great for cold water.
MB X4 110 Special - More power than Rattle Viper TG. Great over grass.
Otterrods custom built on a K2 blank - Incredibly light and crisp. Works great when I'm throwing jerkbaits for multiple days in a row as it cuts down on wrist fatigue. Fast action works great in warmer water.
110 Jr's
Phenix K2 713 - Perfect rod for 110 Jr's and pointer 78's. Light and crisp. Very sensitive so I can feel a fish hit on a pause with slack line.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:38 pm

I have three, and it's been a very long journey to acquire what I feel are the most appropriate sticks for this technique. Different folks prefer different powers, actions, and tapers, and it can differ depending on open water to different types of structure/cover.
Two of mine are custom builds on different blanks, but the best for me production rod I've found is a Daiwa Heartland 6'10 medium.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:57 pm

Also a jerkbait nut. For spinning vision 110 and smaller, the NRX+ 822s DSR I crap you not. It just has the perfect taper for keeping them pinned and loads up that 1/2oz really nicely, plenty of power and NRX light. I think it's amazing for light line light hook presentations. I've used a megabass ronin and liked it a lot more than that.

For casting, I've gone through so many rods, USA destroyer 110 special, expride 6'10 medium, p5 110 special. it's difficult to find a good balance in tip fastness and softness. IMO it's a technique that requires both and really depends on what you prefer, do you want sharper jerks? Or do you want to keep em pinned better? I am personally using the X7 Cyclone Advantage but I personally feel it does better for jerkbaits above 1/2oz.

EDIT -
Adding a dark horse but I had the old Duckett Ghost 7fr Medium. It had the absolute perfect tip and bend. The only bad thing was that the handle was way too long to make downward jerks. Had I had known I could have a rod building cut the handle I would've kept it just for jerkbaiting.
Long live the Jerkbait