Daiwa BLX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa BLX

Post by a1712 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Anyone have reviews of the Daiwa BLX rods? Not finding much on a search on here, internet or YouTube. Interested in reviews of the sensitive series. Thanks all, Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa BLX

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Very little on these rods, aside that the 7'4" mod-fast model is truly exceptional for 1/2 to ~ 1 oz moving open trebles and even some single hook presentations.

Bronzefly has some good input on the BLX lineup.
Last edited by dragon1 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 pm

I have the 72 Heavy and it's one of my favorite rods. I like a shorter rod, as I can do close-quarters combat with it. They are very fast and very crisp blanks. I'm not sure why they don't get the love they deserve. Some of the most quality cork on the handles of any rod I own, and I have all the usual suspects of the flagship models.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 pm
I have the 72 Heavy and it's one of my favorite rods. I like a shorter rod, as I can do close-quarters combat with it. They are very fast and very crisp blanks. I'm not sure why they don't get the love they deserve. Some of the most quality cork on the handles of any rod I own, and I have all the usual suspects of the flagship models.
I have read a few reviews on Tackle Warehouse that also note this. My guess is the rather bland and boring styling isn't doing this rod series any favors on sales.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:51 am

I really enjoyed fishing the spinning version. Nothing bland about the style. They are Megabass quality in person. The blank and handle are really nice and have unique features. I would buy more if they had other lengths available.
Philippians 4:6

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:06 pm

For some reason my post would not go thru. I love the look of these rods, but I notice the cork looks fried on a lot of the Japanese anglers YouTube channels on their Black Label rods. I assume u-40 would help this, but it looks bad after a while and the filler falls out. I remember they were on closeout for $200 way back on a site, but I had to pass at the time. I still want one.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:42 pm

I think the main issue these rods never took off is the lack of models. Both spinning and casting models are very limited, at least here in the US.
That been said, I only have the SG 6'10 light spinning rod.
Its been a good rod. Very crisp and sensitive. If Daiwa had more models, i probably wouldn't mind getting another one.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:11 pm

From a post on another board...

Alright, the BLX rods haven't gotten the love they deserve. I'm not a fan of the 72H as I find it to be more like an XXH in terms of power, so be expecting that. However, the 72ML, which should have been called a M as it really fishes a DT-10 better than most any rod out there, and handles smaller baits baits like a champ too. That 74MHRB is another sleeper in the BLX line up. First off, the cork is premium quality. That 74MHRB is nuts. The first time I fished it was on the intercostal down around West Palm. I was slinging a SB125 with the Tatula Elite Long Cast toward very large Popmano. I learned quickly that this rod (and reel) were absolutely amazing. As soon as it was available, I picked one up and have been fishing it since. I'd say that a 3/8 oz crank is on the bottom end of its capable range, I'd prefer the 72ML for those baits. Harder pulling mid depth cranks, chatterbatis, spinnerbaits, and deep cranks, it's in the zone. Great rod regardless and I'm not getting rid of mine!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jrob_152
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jrob_152 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:25 pm

Can anyone provide any feedback on this model BLXSG701MHXB?
I have the 7’3” and 7’4” models. They are great!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:57 pm

I was looking at the 7’ crankin’ rod. What I read, the JDM and USDM are different. Built for US conditions.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:34 pm

Have the 5’5 SG light jerk bait rod and the SG 7’ Swimbait rod. They are absolutely amazing. Not available in the U.S. but these BLX rods are amazing and wish I could own all of them

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:04 am

jrob_152 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:25 pm
Can anyone provide any feedback on this model BLXSG701MHXB?
I have the 7’3” and 7’4” models. They are great!
I've used this exact rod for a year. It has a Zillion 1514 HLC mounted on it spooled with Yo-Zuri T7 14lb. Fluoro. I throw any and all bottom contact baits on it, everything. Mojo Rigs, Weightless Plastics, T-Rigs, Jigs, Wobble Heads, Shakey Heads, slow crawling moving baits. It is an awesome, very sensitive, responsive, accurate, great looking (perfect cork) rod. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:29 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the 7'3" ML+ fast model for 1/4-1/2 oz cranks? Is it more sensitive than the second Gen GLoomis mahogany blank CBR845, especially with mono?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 am

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:29 pm
Does anyone have any experience with the 7'3" ML+ fast model for 1/4-1/2 oz cranks? Is it more sensitive than the second Gen GLoomis mahogany blank CBR845, especially with mono?
The Daiwa BLX 73MLRB is a highly under rated, under appreciated rod, somewhat like its big brother the BLX 74MHRB. I consider the 73MLRB to be much closer to a medium power than the listed medium light. The cork quality of the BLX line is also noteworthy in this age of poorer and poorer quality cork, even on higher end rods. I owned the mahogany CBR 845 for years, great rod despite its handle being too short, but yes, the BLX is noticeably more crisp and sensitive. I absolutely love throwing a Rapala DT-10 on the 73ML BLX, DT-8, and even DT-6 are in the sweet spot of this model. I've thrown some 1/4 oz cranks like the Megabass Super Z-1, using 13# Sunline Shooter Defier mono, paired with a Steez CT 70XHL and it has worked nicely. I like how 3/8 oz baits feel on the rod better than 1/4 oz baits personally.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:52 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 am
dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:29 pm
The Daiwa BLX 73MLRB is a highly under rated, under appreciated rod, somewhat like its big brother the BLX 74MHRB. I consider the 73MLRB to be much closer to a medium power than the listed medium light. The cork quality of the BLX line is also noteworthy in this age of poorer and poorer quality cork, even on higher end rods. I owned the mahogany CBR 845 for years, great rod despite its handle being too short, but yes, the BLX is noticeably more crisp and sensitive. I absolutely love throwing a Rapala DT-10 on the 73ML BLX, DT-8, and even DT-6 are in the sweet spot of this model. I've thrown some 1/4 oz cranks like the Megabass Super Z-1, using 13# Sunline Shooter Defier mono, paired with a Steez CT 70XHL and it has worked nicely. I like how 3/8 oz baits feel on the rod better than 1/4 oz baits personally.
Koolio Gary, appreciate ya...I'm looking for a rod a bit longer than 7'0" that will handle 1/4 cranks well, but will mostly toss 3/8, and more sensitive than my custom CBR845 (which I prefer for braid + leader for topwaters and lipless). Also, would a TD-ITO balance well on the 73ML+ limber?

I would love to get the same taper and power as my Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III 82B, since that rod is too long to properly wield and cast in the tight surrounds of these Middle Tennessee rivers I frequent...this said the 82B is magical with braid+leader and 1/8-3/8 open trebles and 1/8-1/4 Beetle Spins, inlines, spoons, blade baits.

Thanks again.