Rod Suggestion for Chatterbait/Shallow Cranks/Lipless

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod Suggestion for Chatterbait/Shallow Cranks/Lipless

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:00 pm

The only slot in my arsenal that I really need to fill before next season starts is this. I am currently running a shimano SLX glass 7' medium rod for shallow running cranks, I also briefly attempted it for lighter weight chatterbaits. I have an absolute disdain for this rod and apparently dislike the way glass rods feel. My first foray into chatterbaits I actually got more bites than any other technique ive tried but was unable to land 1 single fish on this rod.

So I am looking for something that excels at 3/8 1/2oz chatterbaits, capable of average 1/2oz shallow running cranks and possibly can do some light lipless work(no grass around here so wont be ripping grass with it). Doesn't have to be cheap or high end either one just want a rod that will fit my specified need and I would be willing to go high end if necessary to find that. So far on my list I've been eying

7'1MH valkyrie
7'2MHG Expride
the LTB chatterbait rods

I know all of these are composite rods but hoping they wont feel as bad as the SLX glass. Open to other suggestions!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod Suggestion for Chatterbait/Shallow Cranks/Lipless

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:53 pm

Kinda weird there haven't been any posts on this topic yet. I'm interested in a high-end option myself. Been throwing my lipless cranks and lighter squarebills on an X-ray 7'3" LMH rod and it works well for it (the taper is somewhere between a Fast and a Moderate Fast), but it feels a bit too light for 1/2oz chatterbaits and squarebills. Weird thing to say maybe because a TN-70 weighs 5/8oz itself (LV500 is 3/4oz even, but I've mostly thrown the Jackall ones), but that tighter wobble and the fact that they're sinking seems to make a difference.

Been considering a P5 Madbull, but that rod seems rather heavy from everything I've read (better for mid-deep running cranks).

Supposedly the USDM Destroyer Javelin was good option, but it was 7'5" and is discontinued. Also doesn't look like they brought that model over to the P5 USDM line.

I still have a Powell Endurance 725 graphite crankbait rod that does the job well on all fronts, but I've kind of stopped using Powells.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:07 pm

That's a pretty nice list, I would also add the Daiwa BLX 7'4" MH Mod-fast. It is more powerful than the Valkyrie 7'1" MH so it would probably load better with 1/2 total weight versus 3/8 cranks.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:44 pm

I'll add, if you are fishing braid, some of the moderate/regular action JDM rods and US models would also work well.

For your techs with braid + leader, I like both my Otterods custom MHX 907CB and Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming 7'2"MH Mod-Fast.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:16 pm

Loomis IMX-Pro 843c MBR rod excels at all of those techniques.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:38 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:53 pm
Supposedly the USDM Destroyer Javelin was good option, but it was 7'5" and is discontinued. Also doesn't look like they brought that model over to the P5 USDM line.
USDM P5 has the Javelin model in the lineup. TT has a brief overview of it.
Always learning...

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:06 pm

PKN8 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Still my favorite rod of all time. I’ll be buying at least 2 of the P5 release if they are similar. They are so amazing at everything moving bait I can’t put it down.

Drakestar if you can wait I’d pick up the Jav this winter.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:27 am

PKN8 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Ah nice. I was checking out the Hookup Tackle model listing and they don’t have it (yet). Initially they said there will be 9 USDM P5 rods, with 7 arriving initially. Wondering if the Javelin is one of the late arrivals. https://thehookuptackle.com/products/de ... 8334290087

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:10 pm

I guess we should add the Loomix IMX 855 CBR to the mix.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:09 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:10 pm
I guess we should add the Loomix IMX 855 CBR to the mix.
I'll check that one out, I'm not very educated when it comes to loomis rods. I've heard they have great blanks. I got a steal of a deal on a new NRX 852s several years ago and ended up letting it go without ever fishing it purely based off the cost and the build quality and at the time I needed the money kind of regret it now, anyhoo I am getting off track LOL.

Another rod I found that I have eyes on that looks like it may work but may be too heavy is the evergreen phase wild shooter. Designed specifically for chatterbaits/vibrating moving baits. However weight ratings on it are a little baffling and make it look like it may be more of a swimbait/heavy chatterbait/large crankbait rod.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:06 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:00 pm
The only slot in my arsenal that I really need to fill before next season starts is this. I am currently running a shimano SLX glass 7' medium rod for shallow running cranks, I also briefly attempted it for lighter weight chatterbaits. I have an absolute disdain for this rod and apparently dislike the way glass rods feel. My first foray into chatterbaits I actually got more bites than any other technique ive tried but was unable to land 1 single fish on this rod.

So I am looking for something that excels at 3/8 1/2oz chatterbaits, capable of average 1/2oz shallow running cranks and possibly can do some light lipless work(no grass around here so wont be ripping grass with it). Doesn't have to be cheap or high end either one just want a rod that will fit my specified need and I would be willing to go high end if necessary to find that. So far on my list I've been eying

7'1MH valkyrie
7'2MHG Expride
the LTB chatterbait rods

I know all of these are composite rods but hoping they wont feel as bad as the SLX glass. Open to other suggestions!
I use the 71mh Valkyrie for all those techniques plus mid depth cranks. It doesn’t feel like your traditional glass rod at all, I had a st Croix legend glass years ago and I also disliked how the rod felt.