Looking for 7'2+ M or ML casting rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Vabass
Angler
Angler

Looking for 7'2+ M or ML casting rod

Post by Vabass » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:50 pm

I'm looking for a longer medium or ML casting rod preferably 7'4 or 7'5. Budget under 300

I'm going to use this rod for inshore speckled trout and the occasional red drum. I mostly use 1/8 oz jig heads with 3inch paddle tails but I wouldn't mind going a little lighter if the rod can cast it. I will be using this rod with a metanium mgl. I'm using a 6 8 lmh kistler now and really want more casting distance.

Most people in my area use spinning gear for this type of fishing but I've tried it and just don't like how spinning rods feel in hand. Any suggestions are appreciated thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for 7'2+ M or ML casting rod

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:08 pm

There aren't too many rods per these specs unless you go custom.

I suggest the ALX Zolo Speedfury (read the reviews)...or a custom. Also, this stays within your budget of $300 or less.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 pm

The alx definitely looks like it will work. Have you ever used this particular rod? Thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 pm

Vabass wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 pm
The alx definitely looks like it will work. Have you ever used this particular rod? Thanks
I have not, however I can attest that ALX are quality rods and the owner Alex is great at answering questions whether by email or phone. I have also owned a custom shop Zolo Deputy and it fished great. I sold it to go with a rod that was a bit longer in length.

The Zolo McSmalls and Enox LSB have been on my radar for some time, and I may pick up one or both next year. This year I spent the budget on an Evergreen TKIC Super Stallion. 8-)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm

I have seen several positive posts here about alex so I think I will have to give this rod a try. It seems like there aren't a whole lot of options for longer medium and ML casting rods. Thanks for the suggestion

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:38 pm

Vabass wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 pm
I have seen several positive posts here about alex so I think I will have to give this rod a try. It seems like there aren't a whole lot of options for longer medium and ML casting rods. Thanks for the suggestion
Yeppers, that length and power is usually spinning rod territory for factory build, even with "inshore" models.

Absolutely give Alex a call or email, he's a good dude.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:29 am

The Expride 7'2" ML+ fits your criteria too, though on the short end of what you are looking for. Just another option to consider.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:29 am
The Expride 7'2" ML+ fits your criteria too, though on the short end of what you are looking for. Just another option to consider.
The new B 72ML is perfect for his applications. It's about half power lighter than the previous A version.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:51 pm

Have a custom-build with the NFC sj703 blank would be my choice....
But the progreen series from g Loomis has both a 7'2 and a 7'4 in ml they are in the process of being discontinued but American legacy bought the last lot of them.

I too fish with exclusively baitcasters inshore for speckled trout

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:30 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on the expride b but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for something a little longer.

I ordered the alx speed fury last night and will post a update after I get it on the water.

If the alx does not work out for me I will take a look at that Loomis progreen rod and go from there.

Thanks everyone for the advice👍

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 am

If you can wait for a sale on a Dobyns, then I would recommend the Dobyns Champion Extreme 742c. This would be a perfect rod for your application and what I use mine for--well, not speckled trout, but for 1/8 oz ball heads.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:00 pm

godshippy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 am
If you can wait for a sale on a Dobyns, then I would recommend the Dobyns Champion Extreme 742c. This would be a perfect rod for your application and what I use mine for--well, not speckled trout, but for 1/8 oz ball heads.
That's very intriguing. Does Dobyns have anything akin to the 7'6" MLM or ML+ Steez or ALX McSmalls in spinning?

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am

Well no complaints about the ALX speed fury rod arrived in 2 days packaged very secure. Got to use it yesterday and I was worried that the action was too fast but I was wrong. Loads up fine with 1/8 oz jig plus paddletail.

Thanks for all the suggestions I think I might end up trying that dobyns too.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Vabass wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am
Well no complaints about the ALX speed fury rod arrived in 2 days packaged very secure. Got to use it yesterday and I was worried that the action was too fast but I was wrong. Loads up fine with 1/8 oz jig plus paddletail.

Thanks for all the suggestions I think I might end up trying that dobyns too.
Schuuuwiiiiing! 8-)

What line and paddletail were you using?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:50 pm

I would suggest the Shimano ML+. If I ever get away from my Lew's and Abu rods that is what I would buy. I fish similar lures but freshwater for smallmouth and largemouth. If the paddletails are weedless or running a stouter hook, might lean more towards a medium powered rod.