Have you preordered a mb p5 destroyer?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Have you preordered a mb p5 destroyer?

Post by Chode » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am

bl8ant wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 am
P5 FMJ fit and finish is a 10/10 as expected but:
1. Stiffer tip than anticipated
2. More tip heavy than anticipated

Ice fishing now so no on-the-water review from me anytime soon. Curado 70 mgl xg on the rod

gotcha. thx a lot for the pics bl8ant. much appreciated.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:14 pm

A 2021 Calcutta Conquest 200/201 will solve the balance issue and look great also.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 pm

Shoot, I don't have a Conquest laying around ;)

Seriously though, I have found that adding a bit of weight as far back from the fulcrum as possible (rod butt) on a combo sporting a lightweight reel allows me to achieve a lighter overall combo than one balanced with a heavier reel closer to the fulcrum.

That said, something tells me I could live with a "compromise" that involves a Conquest :laugh1:
Can't put an ugly furniture butt cap and washers on this work of art but might consider some tungsten putty in the existing recess of the butt finished off with a more fashionable looking cap of some sort.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm

A local rod builder can safely remove the buttcap add a little tungsten putty and reinstall the cap.

I had this done to my 7ft4 MH LEGEND ELITE, getting two other Rods done this week, a NRX+ 873CRR and a NRX+ 844MBR, I can't use the ugly balancing kits some guys use, it looks mickey moused and sloppy.

The attached picture shows all the weights installed, but I only use one set, I can take another picture when I get home.

It's the ALPS deluxe balancer kit.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230131_135819_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230131_135819_Chrome.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 5708 times

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:31 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm
A local rod builder can safely remove the buttcap add a little tungsten putty and reinstall the cap.

I had this done to my 7ft4 MH LEGEND ELITE, getting two other Rods done this week, a NRX+ 873CRR and a NRX+ 844MBR, I can't use the ugly balancing kits some guys use, it looks mickey moused and sloppy.

The attached picture shows all the weights installed, but I only use one set, I can take another picture when I get home.

It's the ALPS deluxe balancer kit.
That’s an elegant solution. I have had balancing kits on my kistlers but only have an ugly rubber butt cap on my NRX 873 CR now filled with washers. The P5 FMJ balances at the back of the lock but with 1.3 oz added to the butt (ugly rubber chair cap just to tweak now).

gopokes12
Angler
Angler

Post by gopokes12 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:48 pm

I didn't think it felt tip heavy with a steez a. Definitely less tip heavy than a NRX+ 873. Here's the balance with a steez a not much different than the curado 70.
Attachments
IMG_1227[2663].jpg
IMG_1227[2663].jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 5693 times

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:10 pm

gopokes12 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:48 pm
I didn't think it felt tip heavy with a steez a. Definitely less tip heavy than a NRX+ 873. Here's the balance with a steez a not much different than the curado 70.
Certainly not terrible and like you say, less tip heavy than the NRX 873. The 873 I have isn’t the plus version either so a little more tip heavy still than the 873+.

Hope you get out on the water with yours, gonna be a while for me!

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pm

gopokes12 wrote:
That’s maybe a 1/4 higher than the xbites and that rod balances perfect with a steez . My FMJ will be here Thursday.

gopokes12
Angler
Angler

Post by gopokes12 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:49 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:16 pm
gopokes12 wrote:
That’s maybe a 1/4 higher than the xbites and that rod balances perfect with a steez . My FMJ will be here Thursday.
Yeah it’s definitely no xbites or super destroyer on balance but it’s good enough for me. Hopefully it gets above freezing soon so I can use it more.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:24 pm

Received both the FMJ and BMG. Both have not disappointed on what was anticipated.

The FMJ does feel a bit faster than the BMG as expected. I have read where some feel the FMJ is a bit tip heavy. I noticed this a little but is a non issue with reel mounted. I tried 3….Zillion G,Met 20, Steez A. All felt excellent. For now the Zillion G lives on the FMJ.

The BMG feels amazing and feels very balanced without a reel. Tried same three reels and again, all felt excellent. The BMG appears to have a slightly slower tip section that transfers nicely to the power of the rod. The Met 20 will live on this rod for now.

USA models feel beefier than their JDM counterparts and also have a slightly bigger guide train. Still super light and excellent build quality as expected. All positives in my eyes. Shoutout to The Hook up Tackle and Gary at the Tackle Trap for feeding the addiction!

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:58 am

Would love to hear some feedback from those that have received the new models.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:28 am

I am especially interested in hearing some feedback on the BMG. I am thinking of getting this as an all around heavy rod.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 am

Looks like deciding between the FMJ and BMG for a jig and t-rig rod is going to be tough. Eagerly awaiting some more on the water reports of these two rods.

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:34 pm

I have been able to get one trip in the the FMJ and BMG. Unfortunately I was unable to generate a bite on either. I don’t have a lot to offer just yet. My initial thought are very positive. Both very comfortable to fish.

The FMJ has a faster taper than the BMG. The FMJ feels very similar in power to the NRX 873. I’m not going down the sensitivity path just yet. I really like what I feel so far but need to feel that bite and set the hook to be able to offer more info. I bought the FMJ as a possible replacement to the NRX 873….which I think it will do. The 873 is my 1/2 oz football jig rod. I think that duty will now belong to the BMG 1/2-3/4 oz. The FMJ will be my all around jig/soft plastic stick. Pitching to moderate cover.

After trying several reels on these 2 rods, I landed on the 22 Bantam on the FMJ. 20 Metanium on the BMG. I tried both the Zillion and Steez A. Both excellent choices and balance well.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:54 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:34 pm
I have been able to get one trip in the the FMJ and BMG. Unfortunately I was unable to generate a bite on either. I don’t have a lot to offer just yet. My initial thought are very positive. Both very comfortable to fish.

The FMJ has a faster taper than the BMG. The FMJ feels very similar in power to the NRX 873. I’m not going down the sensitivity path just yet. I really like what I feel so far but need to feel that bite and set the hook to be able to offer more info. I bought the FMJ as a possible replacement to the NRX 873….which I think it will do. The 873 is my 1/2 oz football jig rod. I think that duty will now belong to the BMG 1/2-3/4 oz. The FMJ will be my all around jig/soft plastic stick. Pitching to moderate cover.

After trying several reels on these 2 rods, I landed on the 22 Bantam on the FMJ. 20 Metanium on the BMG. I tried both the Zillion and Steez A. Both excellent choices and balance well.
This is excellent info and much appreciated. Do you think the BMG would be too much rod for pitching 1/2 oz jigs and 3/8 oz t-rigs to moderate cover? It seems like the FMJ would be the better rod for this from what you have stated, but I like the idea of the extra 2" in length that the BMG offers and the extra power wouldn't hurt unless the rod won't load as well when casting its lower weight range.

Also, could I possibly trouble you for a measurement of the rear grip lengths from the butt of the rod to the bottom of the reel seat for each rod? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.