Glass or No for Shallow to mid Crankbaits

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Glass or No for Shallow to mid Crankbaits

Post by reason162 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:31 am

Over the years I've gone from braid to leader for almost everything, to straight fluoro for CB/JBs on graphite rods and thinking there's more than enough stretch in the system...but this winter having missed a bunch of crankbait fish that were not inhaling the bait makes me think I need to take a hard look at glass composites for cranking.

Since I have a bunch of Exprides I'm considering the 610M-G for 1/4 - 1/2oz baits like the Frittside/Bling/up to Blitz EX DR.
Anyone have this rod can provide some feedback? Or suggestions on other glass comp rods in the 2-300 price point?

I did briefly play around with the BLX 73ML+ Limber, and that definitely felt more like a crankbait taper than a JB taper. Since I was throwing JBs that day it didn't make much of an impression...but now I wish I kept it to experiment with mid sized cranks. I see that Daiwa offers a 610ML Limber which might be more up my alley fishing from a kayak than the 7'3.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Glass or No for Shallow to mid Crankbaits

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:58 am

I owe my 2nd PB, which was my 1st PB for 3 years because of the Daiwa Tatula Signature Elite 7’ Tak crankin’ rod.

That said, not all glass/graphite-glass composite are created equal. I didn’t like the MB Tomahawk or the EG Super Nova. Working with the JDM Daiwa Steez Lightning.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:02 am

reason162 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:31 am
Over the years I've gone from braid to leader for almost everything, to straight fluoro for CB/JBs on graphite rods and thinking there's more than enough stretch in the system...but this winter having missed a bunch of crankbait fish that were not inhaling the bait makes me think I need to take a hard look at glass composites for cranking.

Since I have a bunch of Exprides I'm considering the 610M-G for 1/4 - 1/2oz baits like the Frittside/Bling/up to Blitz EX DR.
Anyone have this rod can provide some feedback? Or suggestions on other glass comp rods in the 2-300 price point?

I did briefly play around with the BLX 73ML+ Limber, and that definitely felt more like a crankbait taper than a JB taper. Since I was throwing JBs that day it didn't make much of an impression...but now I wish I kept it to experiment with mid sized cranks. I see that Daiwa offers a 610ML Limber which might be more up my alley fishing from a kayak than the 7'3.
If you are seeking a composite casting rod for crankbaits, the Megabass Valkyrie VKC-69M+ is an excellent option.

If you are looking for an awesome S-Glass casting rod for crankbaits, the Sedition SDC-701MG-FTW White Falcon is second to none.

Both types of rods are running Shimano 21 Antares DC reels with 20# YGK SS112 sinking braid/super ester mainline and 30# Sunline FC100 leader (for nuisance pike and muskie bites).

Please have a great day!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 am

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:58 am
I owe my 2nd PB, which was my 1st PB for 3 years because of the Daiwa Tatula Signature Elite 7’ Tak crankin’ rod.

That said, not all glass/graphite-glass composite are created equal. I didn’t like the MB Tomahawk or the EG Super Nova. Working with the JDM Daiwa Steez Lightning.
EDIT:

I didn’t notice the reference to the OSP Blitz EX DR before. That is one of my OSP “Murderers Row” of crankbaits. I’ll reinforce my positive posts about the Daiwa Sig Elite Tak rod.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:53 pm

2nd question that should relate, how much more does a true glass rod bend than say a moderate fast graphite rod? I only have 2 cranking rods, a 7'M mod. fast, and a 7'6"MH mod. fast. Both are $150 range Lew's and could almost double for regular duty, especially the MH. I would like to see a chart or video with someone comparing two similar rods, hopefully by the same brand, but one a true glass rod and the other a "cranking" graphite rod.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:28 pm

I'm a big fan of the Dobyns 705 CB Glass Fast. I use that rod for most of my shallow to mid cranks. I've always thrown cranks on mono as it's a bit softer and allows me to switch from a crank to a top water without any hassle. What I like about the Dobyns is it feels and acts like a graphite rod until a fish loads on. Then it's more of a glass rod from there. I heard that their glass rods are actually composite. Either way, they're nice. Dobyns also makes graphite crank sticks and they're also really good.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 am

I'm on the carbon train all day long.

The rod will be lighter and much more sensitive. I prefer the sensitivity for when I'm working squarebills around rock and cover. I just.simply.have a better idea of what's going on below the surface.

I keep hearing about loosing fish...I just don't see a huge difference.

But I do feel it and that is what matters to me.