Which ROD?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which ROD?

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:49 pm

Hey Guys in the market for a new rod.

Its gonna be for jerkbaits. I have a good amount of dobyns savy rods from years back and I love them. For around the same price point. Which is a better rod?

1. Shimano Curado Casting Rods

2. Dobyns Sierra Series Casting Rods
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which ROD?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm

The 6'10 medium Shimano Expride casting rod is a very popular jerkbait stick. I feel that Dobyns rods are extremely over rated, so if you can't swing the Expride, go for the Crucial. Just my 2 cents.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:22 pm

Sorry, meant to say Curado

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm
The 6'10 medium Shimano Expride casting rod is a very popular jerkbait stick. I feel that Dobyns rods are extremely over rated, so if you can't swing the Expride, go for the Crucial. Just my 2 cents.
Hog- I'm asking this question in a non-confrontational tone lol. What makes Dobyns rods over rated? I hear both sides often and genuinely would love to hear yours. I use mostly Dobyns for my finesse to power fishing and then higher end rods for big baits. Something about dobyns always feels right in my hands, but the sensitivity seems off in a way that I can't quite articulate.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:32 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
I love my dobyns rods, they balance better than any other rod I have ever used. Getting the shimano curado rod would be a whole new rod for me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Preston wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:46 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Hog- I'm asking this question in a non-confrontational tone lol. What makes Dobyns rods over rated? I hear both sides often and genuinely would love to hear yours. I use mostly Dobyns for my finesse to power fishing and then higher end rods for big baits. Something about dobyns always feels right in my hands, but the sensitivity seems off in a way that I can't quite articulate.
Definitely not being confrontational bud. Dobyns blanks just feel incredibly dead in my hands.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:22 pm

What size jerkbaits? I would also consider the Fenwick Elite Bass 6'10" MLF for smaller 1/4-1/2 tops.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:14 am

Dobyns rod lack sensitivity and when you consider the asking price there are better alternatives in my humble opinion. At one time I was all over the place trying this brand and that, you know the popular rods. I’ve tried Dobyns and even contacted them for advice in their line up on a jig rod. The rod i received was not to my liking in action or sensitivity. I went on a limb again and gave them a second chance a got a Flippin rod the 708 or 806 something. I know it’s 8’ in length and it’s not bottom tier rod. It’s okay but not what I’m looking for

Thank you for being non-confrontational and please don’t take offense to my comment. It’s has been my personal experience with Dobyns. Some people are so brand loyal they don’t hear anything anyone says regarding their personal experiences with specific rods. I’m not loyal

The expride is a decent rod and I have one paired with a conquest 100DC
It’s a popular rod I think in part because the guys at tactical Bassin blew it up.
The. You couldn’t find it. I had one before then and like I said it’s a decent stick. Great action and I think that’s what makes it so sought after especially considering the price.

Let us know what you find
I’ve ventured out to other brands before and I would say don’t be afraid to take the plunge. Good luck with your search
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 am

Understood. Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:36 am

KillaBass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 am
Understood. Thanks!
Have you considered building your own rod or having one built ?
In my experience i should have started down this rod long ago. If you build it or have it built you’re getting exactly what you want and sometimes the price offset isn’t that bad. But like anything to tier components will cost you.
I’ve found that often the blank doesn’t cost as much all the bling
Just a suggestion
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:10 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:14 am
It’s a popular rod I think in part because the guys at tactical Bassin blew it up.
The. You couldn’t find it. I had one before then and like I said it’s a decent stick. Great action and I think that’s what makes it so sought after especially considering the price.
Imo the Exprides are hyped but not overhyped - they are popular for a reason. I've come across quite a few Japanese videos where guys will invariably have a full suite of Exprides on the deck (non-sponsored), likewise Daiwa BLX/Black Label which is in the same price category over there and both span the doorway into true high-end rods. They are light, balanced, sensitive, and have correct actions. Some models are standouts, but all perform above their price point.

I think killabass could do a lot worse than a couple of Exprides paired to Tatulas or Zillions SV, and he'll be completely "caught up" to the latest/greatest 2023 has to offer.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:36 am
KillaBass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 am
Understood. Thanks!
Have you considered building your own rod or having one built ?
In my experience i should have started down this rod long ago. If you build it or have it built you’re getting exactly what you want and sometimes the price offset isn’t that bad. But like anything to tier components will cost you.
I’ve found that often the blank doesn’t cost as much all the bling
Just a suggestion
No, that would be out of my price range. But thank you

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:09 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:10 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:14 am
Imo the Exprides are hyped but not overhyped - they are popular for a reason. I've come across quite a few Japanese videos where guys will invariably have a full suite of Exprides on the deck (non-sponsored), likewise Daiwa BLX/Black Label which is in the same price category over there and both span the doorway into true high-end rods. They are light, balanced, sensitive, and have correct actions. Some models are standouts, but all perform above their price point.

I think killabass could do a lot worse than a couple of Exprides paired to Tatulas or Zillions SV, and he'll be completely "caught up" to the latest/greatest 2023 has to offer.
I have one dobyns champion rod I bought back in 2015-2016. amazing rod. But not ready to get into that 250-300 price rod range again yet.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 pm
Preston wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:46 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Definitely not being confrontational bud. Dobyns blanks just feel incredibly dead in my hands.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were at all. I just didn't want my question to sound like I was confrontational. I think, like most of us here, i like hearing other peoples thoughts on fishing gear.