Nrx bladed jig rod as a dedicated FLUKE rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Nrx bladed jig rod as a dedicated FLUKE rod?

Post by Hennessy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:02 am

1st Gen Poison Adrena 7’2m broke last year, so I’m looking for a new fluke rod now. Ended up using the Nrx 893 for a 2day bfl last minute, had good distance & hookup ratio but twitching that long of a rod didn’t feel the best. Ended up fishing with a fluke “guru” at the Regionals & he swore bout a spinning rod for fluke fishing. Not a spinning rod guy but the 872s nrx looks good on paper. I did see him break off 2 GOOD fish at the braid/floro knot & that’s one of the main reasons I don’t prefer spinning setup. That nrx bladed jig rod is 7’4, which I prefer longer rods, jus don’t prefer the 893. It seems like that bladed jig rod is a SOFT medium heavy & the lower limit suggests it should launch a fluke pretty good. My lakes are blueback herring, so my fluke setup is a big deal, certain times of the year can get the nrx+ @ 30% off. I’m almost 80% sure I’m getting the rod, wanted to hear anyone’s thoughts about it

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Nrx bladed jig rod as a dedicated FLUKE rod?

Post by jprice92 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:12 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:02 am
1st Gen Poison Adrena 7’2m broke last year, so I’m looking for a new fluke rod now. Ended up using the Nrx 893 for a 2day bfl last minute, had good distance & hookup ratio but twitching that long of a rod didn’t feel the best. Ended up fishing with a fluke “guru” at the Regionals & he swore bout a spinning rod for fluke fishing. Not a spinning rod guy but the 872s nrx looks good on paper. I did see him break off 2 GOOD fish at the braid/floro knot & that’s one of the main reasons I don’t prefer spinning setup. That nrx bladed jig rod is 7’4, which I prefer longer rods, jus don’t prefer the 893. It seems like that bladed jig rod is a SOFT medium heavy & the lower limit suggests it should launch a fluke pretty good. My lakes are blueback herring, so my fluke setup is a big deal, certain times of the year can get the nrx+ @ 30% off. I’m almost 80% sure I’m getting the rod, wanted to hear anyone’s thoughts about it
I’ve been using the conquest 843c for the past year and it’s the perfect fluke rod for me, my lake is also blueback herring dominant so it gets a lot of use. The nrx plus also has an 843 model as well. I haven’t used the bladed jig rod so I couldn’t help you there but for me the 843 has the perfect action, it’s lightweight and very sensitive.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:11 am

Where you find any deals on NRX? I can't seem to see any deals least couple of years.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:21 pm

lots of deals on the original NRX, no deals on the NRX +'s (at least any deal more than 10-15% off).
1-2%

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:07 am

For weightless Flukes I like a regular taper M rod. I can get by with a stiffer M or softer MH mod fast for Caffeine Shads or Flukes with a 3/16 oz weighted hook. Best combo I ever had in my hands for distance casting a weightless Fluke on a thin wire superline hook was an Orochi xXx BE2 and a Ray's inductor swapped Alphas SV with 10# flouro. That bait would fly but still have good control for wind or even skipping at higher dial settings as long as you made a good skip.

I don't really throw tbe weightless Fluke much and prefer the Caffeine Shad for the Senko like wiggle glide. That bait is pretty heavy and I fish it more around cover so it gets used on a stiffer M MF Zodias 72M with 12# fouro.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:21 pm
lots of deals on the original NRX, no deals on the NRX +'s (at least any deal more than 10-15% off).
I can't even find even 10-15% off and they just increase the price, so even that will be a good discount.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:44 pm

You have to buy a lot of tackle through one place. I was offered 40% off NRX+ rods this past December.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:51 pm

I think that would be below cost.

at least based on our local stores markups.
1-2%

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:07 pm

There’s a major fishing company that sends out “membership deals” if you are signed up to their mailing list. Most times it’s either Loomis or Daiwa at 30% off & code usually only last a wkend. Haven’t gotten any emails this yr, but I’m going to pick up that chatterbait rod when I do. I’ve gotten all my NRX+ for 400ish, sold off all my old NRXs for 300ish, win win.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:03 pm

will keep looking, thank you

Gunpackinpanda
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gunpackinpanda » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:00 pm

I run my flukes on an 843C MBR! It's absolutely perfect!

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:59 pm

I'd personally go 853 or even 803c if I wanted a dedicated fluke rod. Never held/used the BJR but my instinct is that it would be too soft on hooksets for my fluke preference. I own 893c, 894c and 903c and have used them all for flukes. I usually get into a great fluke bites a few days a year and always wish my rod was shorter (especially if the bite happens to be somewhere I'm shore fishing), but I make it work. Of those rods, the 893c is what feels best to me, so going for a shorter version of that is where I'd lean. If you aren't looking for that XF action, I'd look more at the 843/844. I love long rods and wish almost all mine were 7'6"+ but flukes or any kind of jerkbait you make life so much easier on yourself with a shorter rod