Megabass KABT - Breakage Issues?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass KABT - Breakage Issues?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:56 pm

Looking to grab one of the XXX multi piece rods for travel purposes. Reading reviews of other Megabass rods built with KABT in the blanks, I ran across quite a few reports of rods snapping under normal conditions and circumstances. Has anyone experienced this?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass KABT - Breakage Issues?

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:04 pm

As far as i remember, the KABT part is only near the handle of the rod (from handle to near the first guide), so i don't think it has anything to do with this material itself, since the majority of XX and XXX broken rods i saw, they were broken at the tip.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:52 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:04 pm
As far as i remember, the KABT part is only near the handle of the rod (from handle to near the first guide), so i don't think it has anything to do with this material itself, since the majority of XX and XXX broken rods i saw, they were broken at the tip.
Thank you. So breakage is common?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:52 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:04 pm
Thank you. So breakage is common?
I don't have any data on that, but i have seen multiple broken levante and the orochi xx and xxx on sale. But then again, i saw plenty of Zodias rods with a broken tip as well, and i don't think they're considered as a weak rod that breaks often.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:35 am

MB rods with KABT technology have not seen a high breakage rate. In general the breakage numbers have been low and within a normal range.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am

I broke the tip off my BE2 untangling it from a group of other rods. I can see how that can happen but no other rods have done it. To me they are on the fragile side so just handle them with care and you'll be fine.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am
I broke the tip off my BE2 untangling it from a group of other rods. I can see how that can happen but no other rods have done it. To me they are on the fragile side so just handle them with care and you'll be fine.

How long had you had the rod? Did you buy new from an authorized MB dealer?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:17 pm

M Perry wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:14 am

How long had you had the rod? Did you buy new from an authorized MB dealer?
A year or two from TTT. I blame it on user error. A tip breakage jiggling rods free is a mistake on my part. A warranty is not a replacement program.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas. I've decided to go a different direction. Just not sure where that is exactly lol.