The CHEAPEST ROD BUILD

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The CHEAPEST ROD BUILD

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:58 pm

what’s the cheapest you’ve built a rod and how did it perform?
I’m considering a ultra minimalist rod build
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: The CHEAPEST ROD BUILD

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:36 pm

I have a few utilitarian custom builds that I don't have over $120 in each rod. I use them a lot more than most of my other rods.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:03 pm

I built a rod on a $35 NFC Delta Hybrid CB 7106 blank and put a cheap Mudhole guide set on it with a cheap seat. I use it on Deep cranks and some swimbaits. The action of the blank is fantastic. I have like $70 is the whole setup and I use it more that the Dobyns 806CB that I bought for this task. Go figure.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:28 am

I built a bunch of rods for my club on Rainshadow RX6 blanks. Cost I think was $48 per rod. They turned out surprisingly nice. I built one for myself with smaller nicer guides and better cork and it turned out to be one of my favorite rods at a cost of something like $65.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 am

NFC Delta....PERIOD!

They punch well above their weight in quality and durability. Built the 706 for a friend who high sticks it and I've watched him boat flip 100s of fish on it. I cringe everytime him bounces one off the side of the boat.

With carbon grips, ECS, Fuji alconites, you are still under $130.

There are some special blanks in the lineup.

MB664 - mine weights 91grams built and is great for Jerkbait and can handle +1 deeper styles bits with a bit more resistance.

MB693 - All around amazing rod. I got lucky and they sent mine untrimmed @7'2" and it is my go-to bladed jig, rattle bait rod.

SJ705/706 - Again all around awesome rods. 5 is a MH and the 6 is closer to a heavy. Sweet tapers that are faster than an MBR but still versitlie.

Those 3 rods would cover many applications.

Currently building a couple XRays and they are all still under $200.

Stump jumper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stump jumper » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 am

If I want a cheap rod, I just go out and buy one - there are plenty of functional sub $200 rods out there. I figure it takes me the same amount of time building a cheap rod as it does an expensive one, so why waste the time (or have your name associated with a cheap rod). Besides, it seems $200 (in parts) and about is about the point where I can start making rods that are better than what I can buy.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 am

I could do 99% of my fishing with two Walmart Lews Hank Parker rods and a Lightning rod if I wanted to.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:13 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 am
if I wanted to.
:)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 am

Least expensive I have would be built on a Phenix Maxim blank, which feels better than every other cheap blank I've tried, and a cheap 3 dollar Eva grip. I think the ECS reel seat was like 5 bucks, and Fuji Hardloy guide train that was 16-17 bucks.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 am

Stump jumper wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 am
If I want a cheap rod, I just go out and buy one - there are plenty of functional sub $200 rods out there. I figure it takes me the same amount of time building a cheap rod as it does an expensive one, so why waste the time (or have your name associated with a cheap rod). Besides, it seems $200 (in parts) and about is about the point where I can start making rods that are better than what I can buy.
I'd say you are correct in the $50 range. Especially as most folks will need supplies.

I'm building "cheap" rods because I can make something to my exact specs. I'd also say my $120 delta fishes better than anything under $299 of the rack. The carbon grips will look great in 5 years when the cork on my gen1 expride has had to be shrink wrapped.

The custom part is where it gets fun. I built a 664 with an incredibly short handle. It gives me a fishable length closer to 6'8" and a bit faster tip. The short handle is easier to work the bait.

Lastly is guide placement. I can't stand to look at a poorly laid out guide train. You would think these companies building thousands of rods would take the time to static load test for optimal placement. But I see $400 rods with flat spots under load.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:08 am

My rod builder got too old. It's now up to me to build, and I like simple. He did some cheap Mudhole spinning blank builds for my two son's that are great. I got tired of all of the Matagi trim parts on my custom rods anyway. All of my recent builds have been very minimalist with higher end blanks. I have no problem building inexpensive crankbait blanks. These are often your least expensive.