Bottom Contact Rod!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bottom Contact Rod!

Post by aqua71 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 am

johnnybassboat wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:48 pm
jpmoney wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:39 am
](*,) I was waiting for the dobyns suggestions to roll in. I could feel it coming. :lol:
I am with ya. Not a fan.
I own 4 Xtasy rods that I have been using for 2 years and have zero complaints. Great hardware, balance, sensitivity and warranty. I'm not implying they're the best, but they're certainly not crap IMHO. So clue me in, what's the hate all about?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:17 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 am
johnnybassboat wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
](*,) I was waiting for the dobyns suggestions to roll in. I could feel it coming. :lol:
I am with ya. Not a fan.
I own 4 Xtasy rods that I have been using for 2 years and have zero complaints. Great hardware, balance, sensitivity and warranty. I'm not implying they're the best, but they're certainly not crap IMHO. So clue me in, what's the hate all about?
Perhaps the Xtasy blanks are a step up in performance (don't own one), but quite a few people share the same opinion that Dobyns rods from the Champion line down feel rather dead in hand. The sensitivity and feedback just isn't there, especially when compared to many similar priced rods. I know this was my experience.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:17 pm
Perhaps the Xtasy blanks are a step up in performance (don't own one), but quite a few people share the same opinion that Dobyns rods from the Champion line down feel rather dead in hand.[/b] The sensitivity and feedback just isn't there, especially when compared to many similar priced rods. I know this was my experience.
You might be correct. I never owned anything below the Champion line so I can't comment.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Perhaps the Xtasy blanks are a step up in performance (don't own one), but quite a few people share the same opinion that Dobyns rods from the Champion line down feel rather dead in hand.[/b] The sensitivity and feedback just isn't there, especially when compared to many similar priced rods. I know this was my experience.
You might be correct. I never owned anything below the Champion line so I can't comment.
Champion included. Did nothing for me.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm
aqua71 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I dunno...I never considered a Champion rod to be used for something that required a lot of sensitivity. All mine are used for reaction baits. The Champion Extreme was a big let down--did not have the sensitivity for the price, but I have no idea how these revised Champion Extreme HPs are. Gary revised the HP lineup late last year and they're lighter and faster than the previous ones.

Haven't had any time on the water with my Xtasy, but I assume it will be decent for the price given that I got mine for 40% off.

I think the Dobyns lineup of rods just add a lot of value if you buy them on sale. The craftsmanship has really improved over the years and the warranty adds a lot of value if you ask me.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm
I can’t speak for the entire Champion line because I only own 2 graphite cranking rods which I think are great for their intended purpose.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:35 am

aqua71 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 am
johnnybassboat wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
I am with ya. Not a fan.
I don't know if I would call it hate, but for me it was mostly letdowns in the sensitivity and repetitive quality issues/failures. I had several gen.2 champion extremes in both spinning and casting models, and a few champions. At first I bought into some of the "hype" from the dobyns fanboys which to my detriment regretted later after making comparisons to MUCH less expensive rods that had equal or better sensitivity than my $350 extreme. I was really bothered by the fact that a $125 tatula rod was equal in sensitivity to a rod I paid almost 3x more for ](*,) . At this point I started experimenting with both more expensive rods, like NRX/GLX, megabass X7, and then less expensive - orochi XX gen.1, exprides, tatula gen.1, etc. Across the board, regardless of dobyns DX model, all of them paled in comparison to the lower priced competition.

On top of the lacking performance for the price, i had so many quality issues with mine. From reel lockdown trim pieces constantly coming loose (and having to re-glue it), to kigan guide rings popping out, reel seats coming loose and turning, and a couple baffling breakages I had just had enough with them. I sold every single one and haven't looked back.

Warranty is good, but for the hassle of over paying for rods, and then dealing with warranty is a no-go for me.

I have looked at the xtasy lineup and they look like good rods: i like that they are using fuji guides, but honestly I would need 50% off before considering buying another dobyns.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:14 am

I would Highly recommend the Gamakatsu Luxxe Efreet B74XH-F, it's extremely sensitive has a TORAYCA T1100G blank and weighs 4.31 ounces on my scale, hard to beat for your dollar.

This is coming from someone with Seditions, Racing Designs and the latest Kaleido Black Raven Extreme and Rapid Gunner RSR.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 am

NOLRAMB wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:14 am
I would Highly recommend the Gamakatsu Luxxe Efreet B74XH-F, it's extremely sensitive has a TORAYCA T1100G blank and weighs 4.31 ounces on my scale, hard to beat for your dollar.

This is coming from someone with Seditions, Racing Designs and the latest Kaleido Black Raven Extreme and Rapid Gunner RSR.
Definitely a rod that’s under the radar
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:19 am

NOLRAMB wrote:

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread at all, but can you comment on what you use this rod for? Is it truly an XH rod that will be more comfortable at the upper end of it's weight rating range or can it handle 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and plastics?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:39 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:19 am
NOLRAMB wrote:

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread at all, but can you comment on what you use this rod for? Is it truly an XH rod that will be more comfortable at the upper end of it's weight rating range or can it handle 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and plastics?
I haven't tried a 3/8 jig, but I can throw a 1/2 jig with a GYCB DT grub easily with a 2022 Zillion HD so I would imagine a 3/8 would be fine, I use mine for Football jigs primarily.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:20 pm

edge13 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:29 pm
I fish mainly G-Loomis/Shimano rods. I need a rod for swing heads for catching smallmouth. I fish in deep water and fast rivers. Head weights range from 1/2- 1oz, but 3/4 is my comfort zone on 17-20lb fluorocarbon. Water depth ranges from 10-50 feet.

What rod would you recommend? I would prefer that it is 7'4 or longer.
This https://www.casterhouse.co.jp/shop/prod ... search.y=0

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:24 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:08 am
I have three rods in mind right off the bat.

Since you like Loomis/Shimano products, I'd consider either the NRX+ 894c or for a little slower action which many, like myself prefer for those applications, the 904c MBR.

The new Megabass P5 BMG is amazing. This rod was made for your applications and does it beautifully. It has that nice deeper flex, excellent sensitivity, and is just a great rod. They're shipping out Friday \:D/

The Steez AGS 79H Universal Power is another longer, deeper flexing rod that excels with these techniques. Really a fantastic all around heavier powered rod that can do a lot, and is the best 1 oz Dark Sleeper rod I've fished.
I just picked up the Universal Power and was thinking of setting it up with either Steez A II or the Steez HLC for 1oz dark sleeper duty. Curious your thoughts on reel and line type for deep dragging of the dark sleeper. Long casts and good hooksets are key.