How can I clean a soft touch reel seat gone sticky?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How can I clean a soft touch reel seat gone sticky?

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:44 am

I just pulled out of storage two Cabelas baitcast rods with soft touch reel seats that, for reasons unknown to me, have developed a gooey, sticky coating on the soft touch reel seats. These rods were purchased about a decade ago, were used only a few outings each (I think without sunscreen or insect repellent on my hands), and have been stored indoors at moderate temperatures.

I have tried removing the coating with Dawn dishwashing liquid and with isopropyl alcohol, but Dawn had no effect and all the alcohol does is spread the goo around a little without removing it. I am considering trying Goo Gone, but recall reading somewhere that soft touch reel seat coatings in general dissolve under contact with harsh solvents and wonder whether Goo Gone would have that undesired effect.

Have any of you had this problem and found an effective solution?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How can I clean a soft touch reel seat gone sticky?

Post by Slazmo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 am

Cotton rag and methylated spirits and rub off the soft touch lining.

Will most likely be shiny underneath. Happened to my Volkey BFS and wouldn't say that they soft touch removal was undesirable.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:55 am

What you're feeling is a result of that soft touch coating breaking down. I discovered this myself on several older rods and other items with a similar finish. The rubber, or whatever is used, just deteriorates or something over time 😢

A method I've found that helps is to get some baking soda and add a little water to make a paste. Then use that paste to rub over the affected areas. The baking soda helps break down the coating entirely to reveal the original surface underneath. It may take a few applications and sometimes helps to apply the paste, rub it in, and let it sit for a while before rinsing off.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:52 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:55 am
What you're feeling is a result of that soft touch coating breaking down. I discovered this myself on several older rods and other items with a similar finish. The rubber, or whatever is used, just deteriorates or something over time 😢

A method I've found that helps is to get some baking soda and add a little water to make a paste. Then use that paste to rub over the affected areas. The baking soda helps break down the coating entirely to reveal the original surface underneath. It may take a few applications and sometimes helps to apply the paste, rub it in, and let it sit for a while before rinsing off.
This technique has worked for me as well. If you don't feel like removing all of the coating, you can do it just enough times so its no longer sticky. Kind of like sanding off the layer of goo with baking soda.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:09 am

I had an Abu Garcia Fantasista with a soft touch reel seat. Way too tacky/sticky. Tim, another member, suggested that I coat and cover the reel seat with baby powder, then let it sit in heat or direct sunlight for several hours. Seemed to have done the trick. Anything wet just seemed to make it worse.