Loomis NRX users: please help a guy out...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis NRX users: please help a guy out...

Post by johnnybassboat » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:29 am

TravisNY wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:22 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:52 pm
RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:30 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:44 pm
Mang wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Check out this old video of Mark zona.

Https://youtube.com/watch?v=kY6pj-BAuLA ... IECMiOmarE
It's funny that the guide wrap in the video is crap.
They have some of the worst fit and finish. My buddy has a few and there are gaps in several wraps per rod. I recently started building and was shocked when I noticed. Wild for the price, they seem to be built alongside a $50 Scimitar.
Doesnt bother me in the least either. Got a whole locker full of them, they were not bought because of their looks.
I guess you are buying the blank.
Have to agree. I caved and have one NRX to see what the hype is about and although it's fun to fish and an excellent performer, I can't stand looking at it. Actually have an old Scimitar too (first rod I ever bought for myself) and hate to say it, but the build quality on that is better :lol:
Eye of the beholder. I have no issue looking at my rack of them :).

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:19 pm

imagine not being able to fish a rod or a reel because of the "look" of it. :-({|=
1-2%

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:39 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:19 pm
imagine not being able to fish a rod or a reel because of the "look" of it. :-({|=
When compared to the Legend Xtreme and new Steez which are just as sensitive (I own all 3) it’s worth noting how terrible they look. I still fish my NRXs but they aren’t aesthetically pleasing. I would prefer they look like a MB rod or Steez for the price you pay.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:31 am

I wouldn't care if they were pink and my reels were green.

looks and aesthetics is for tackle tour.

the fish don't know.

It's amazing how Gussy won the classic with those poorly wrapped NRX's.
1-2%

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:16 pm

If I ever did buy an NRX, I'd have to find a green wrapped one. Blue is my favorite color, but that weird blue they use just doesn't cut it for me. Of course, I'd still likely strip it down to a bare bank and have it built in a way that maximizes performance AND aesthetics. It really is a shame that the rods aren't visually pleasing to a majority of anglers, especially for the $ you spend.
Btw, there was a member here(no longer active) that bought a GLX frog rod when when they first came out with the recoil guide model, then proceeded to have it stripped completely and rebuilt to his specs. That rod was in excess of $1000 iirc, and that was 15 years ago. If money is no object for the guy buying a NRX, then I say the factory should actually get angler feedback and do what it takes to make the majority of their consumers happy. As another of the old guard used to say, "the satisfaction of performance far exceeds the bitterness of price".
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:12 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:31 am
I wouldn't care if they were pink and my reels were green.

looks and aesthetics is for tackle tour.

the fish don't know.

It's amazing how Gussy won the classic with those poorly wrapped NRX's.
Pretty much where I fall as well sir. All I fish are smallmouth and there’s not another lineup in my hands that has the techniques as dialed in across the board as that lineup for my uses. In a days time it’s nothing for me to pick up 3-4-5 different spin models and like the familiarity of fishing one lineup. They just suit me and are a pleasure to use.

Regarding cost. Not everyone pays the full sticker price.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:02 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:30 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:44 pm
Mang wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Check out this old video of Mark zona.

Https://youtube.com/watch?v=kY6pj-BAuLA ... IECMiOmarE
It's funny that the guide wrap in the video is crap.
They have some of the worst fit and finish. My buddy has a few and there are gaps in several wraps per rod. I recently started building and was shocked when I noticed. Wild for the price, they seem to be built alongside a $50 Scimitar.

I guess you are buying the blank.
Hey, I own a scimitar. The fit and finish on that rod is immaculate 8-)