Solid tip for small jerkbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Solid tip for small jerkbaits?

Post by KP Duty » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:12 pm

I prefer 6' spinning rods for jerkbaits, and need a ML for small jerkbaits like the OSP Asura and Xrap #8. The U.S. is really limited on 6' spinning rods, but I'm open to a suggestion. 723 GLX crossed my mind, but I just don't need to spend that for a limited use rod. So I found a 6'1" ML Daiwa Blazon spinning rod for $138, but it's a 'solid tip', which to me means 'delicate tip'. It is rated 1/16-3/8oz. What say you? With shipping, the blazon would be $200. Any rods I'm missing? I even shopped Academy store brand rods and came up empty.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Solid tip for small jerkbaits?

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am

Maybe? When I think solid tip rods I think of drop shot rods but if you like an XF for a jerkbait rod then solid tip rods are pretty fast. I would get one that has the solid tip rolled into the carbon cloth rather than a solid tip grafted on. Those will act like foreign object jammed into the end of the rod and the blank and tip are not on the same page. The ones rolled into the blank act like a St Croix XF rod but more extreme and resistant to snapping at extreme angles should that occur. If you are curious about a solid tip rod it's best to get one and learn what they are all about.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:35 am

I don't find solid tip to equate to delicate tip. It would just depend on how much material is actually in the tip section. When St. Croix introduced some solid graphite/carbon ice rods, the general opinion was it was going to be delicate. Well it's very common in ice fishing rods now and suddenly tubular ice rods are now suddenly given the general opinion of being delicate. Those are just the opinions of people being rough with their tools. It's more likely for a metal winding check seated too tightly on an ice rod to cause breakage and that's been posted over FB so many times over the years and yet manufactures keep making those same rods with those same metal winding checks. :doh: Gotta get people to buy new rods some how.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:53 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am
Maybe? When I think solid tip rods I think of drop shot rods but if you like an XF for a jerkbait rod then solid tip rods are pretty fast. I would get one that has the solid tip rolled into the carbon cloth rather than a solid tip grafted on. Those will act like foreign object jammed into the end of the rod and the blank and tip are not on the same page. The ones rolled into the blank act like a St Croix XF rod but more extreme and resistant to snapping at extreme angles should that occur. If you are curious about a solid tip rod it's best to get one and learn what they are all about.
Spot on about the grafted solid tips. I had a Designo Leben rod that broke due to the bad design of the solid tip. Basically the solid tip unglued with time and ended up cracking the tubular carbon. Happened during casting.
Maybe I'll do a separate post about this.