What is the all-time best Megabass Top Water Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What is the all-time best Megabass Top Water Rod?

Post by PotatoLake » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:08 am

In your opinion, what is the best Megabass rod you've used to throw topwater? I'd be curious how many older generation rods get mentioned vs. the new generation.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is the all-time best Megabass Top Water Rod?

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm

For a 1/4 oz pop-x? A 1/2 oz Jamaica Boa? A 1 oz I-Jack? How about the 4.6 oz. Megadog? :lol: Topwater rod choices are a broad and varied subject on the bait alone...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm
For a 1/4 oz pop-x? A 1/2 oz Jamaica Boa? A 1 oz I-Jack? How about the 4.6 oz. Megadog? :lol: Topwater rod choices are a broad and varied subject on the bait alone...
You’re right, that was a bad open ended question. Let’s go with best or favorite 1/2 oz and down treble hook topwater rod.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:25 pm

I haven't fished very much of the Megabass line-up but MY favorite topwater rod is the Otomat. It's one rod that I can fish topwaters all day and my elbow and forearms aren't killing me. It's awesome at that 1/2 oz range. It's also a good jerkbait, small crank, and small swimbait rod too. I like that it has a shorter handle so I can fish around docks and cover easily.
My buddy uses a Flatside Special for similar topwaters and it feels really sweet too.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:57 pm

I have never fished the rod, but I actually looked online about this for the past week or so because I was in the market for one. It seems like the consensus was the X7 Super Eiger.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 am

Thanks for the replies, the Otomat and the Super Eiger are both rods I'd like to acquire in the future. They do seem to have great reputations. The Super Eiger was the most mentioned rod in the thread about must-have Megabass rods, so it must be a little special.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:29 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 am
Thanks for the replies, the Otomat and the Super Eiger are both rods I'd like to acquire in the future. They do seem to have great reputations. The Super Eiger was the most mentioned rod in the thread about must-have Megabass rods, so it must be a little special.
A big +1 to both the Otomat and the Super Eiger. Two of my favorite rods.

The Javelin is another consideration--especially if you are looking for a longer rod that will absolutely bomb a lure into another zip code. It will also handle heavier topwater lures (and much more of course) than the Otomat or SE. A P5 version is on the way.

I have a Madbull and Oneten Special that I don't have enough time on the water with yet.

But as you know, pretty much all of the MB rods that you are looking at will be able to do much more than just topwater.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:46 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 am
I have it and from time to Time I get it off the rack
I have not used it for topwater and that maybe my oversight
What i can say is that i love it with my pixy
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:32 am

Flat side special
Philippians 4:6

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:41 am

For spook style baits and poppers, either the X7 Super Elseil or X4 Black Elseil for me.
Always learning...