Loomis line power question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jet963
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Loomis line power question

Post by jet963 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 am

Hello loomis users:
I have a question about picking up the rod for finesse fishing.
I usually use 1/32-1/16 jig or bobber for my fishing so I am considering the rod power below medium.
When I checked DSR 820, NRR 831 and SJR721, it shows line lb is 4-8 for DSR and 6-10 for NRR and SJR.
HOWEVER, the lure wt is 1/8-3/8 for DSR, and heavier than SJR and NRR, 1/16-5/16.
The power is mag-light for DSR but medium light for NRR and light for SJR.
So I am confusing that DSR use heavier lure but lighter line?
Is DSR stronger or weaker than NRR and SJR?This mag-light label is confusing me.
Which rod do you recommend if I often use 1/16 jigging for fishing?
I'll appreciate if anyone has experience for these rods and share with me your opinion.
Which rod would be fun to get panfish but strong enough to pull an accidental largemouth bass out of water?
Thank you.

Crd4Liberty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Loomis line power question

Post by Crd4Liberty » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:56 pm

Power ratings are not universal across separate rod series and tip powers/angles aren't even close. The dropshot rod is technique specific, dropshot fishing with weights that you would normally expect to be used for that technique, it would do the angler little good to rate the rod for what it will do under completely different situations. SJ blanks have been around a very longtime long before technique specific rods were found to be necessary, hence they are rated for what they will throw regardless of the situation you use them in. That said, I use my dropshot rods for lots of other things, and disregard the technique specific crap, but I'm an old fart and longtime rod builder and don't need anyone else to tell me what to buy and how to use it. My go to rod is the Lamiglas LSJ 901 XMG 50 series a 7 1/2 ft. blank for your finesse needs in you 1/16 to 5/16 lure needs. It was never built as a factory rod as far as I know, but there was 6'6" and 7 ft. versions.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis line power question

Post by TravisNY » Wed May 03, 2023 5:16 pm

Sir, you’ll enjoy the 820DSR for panfish. It will bend deeper into the blank than the NRR if referring to the NRX+ version which has a shut off point further up the blank. I have zero experience with the NRR IMX iterations but do own a number of NRX+ spins. I’ve owned the 820 DSR in glx.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the blank ratings as typically anything rated “DSR” is meant for vertically dropping.

Happy shopping.