Anyone own an NRX+ 803c and 854c? Curious how they fish certain stuff

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone own an NRX+ 803c and 854c? Curious how they fish certain stuff

Post by oops » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:00 am

I'll keep it simple and say that first and foremost this purchase is with the idea of having a great fluke rod, but that this very much needs to be a multi purpose rod for me because I'm already at 5 rods on deck when I take a boat out and that's where I want to stay. You'll have to pry my 893c from my cold, dead hands. That means that this rod will be replacing my 894c

If I go 854c, I know it will easily pick up the occasional jig, swim jig, spinnerbait, ika duties from the 894c. But truth be told I really don't know if 4 inches will save an average height dude like me in a little boat from the struggle of fishing a fluke optimally

If I go 803c...I'm not gonna lie, I think for me this could be the best fluke rod, but I'm not sure I fish flukes often enough to justify it for that alone. No versatility over the dream that is the 893c. But I do occasionally travel cross country and fish wooded areas from shore on where I wished I owned exactly this rod.

Really wish there was an 804c. There wouldn't be a thread, id have already ordered the rod. I think there was one in the old lineup?

I've posted a similar thread in the past and ended up buying nothing but had the first day of my personal bass season today and was reminded of how frustrating trying to fish a fluke on an 89 inch rod can be. This time a new rod is coming home, and it's coming home soon

KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone own an NRX+ 803c and 854c? Curious how they fish certain stuff

Post by KSRonH » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:36 am

What are the other rods you have on deck? To me the 853 is the ideal fluke rod, but if you give up the 4 power rod do you have any other heavy power rods? Need to know what else you have.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 am

KSRonH wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:36 am
What are the other rods you have on deck? To me the 853 is the ideal fluke rod, but if you give up the 4 power rod do you have any other heavy power rods? Need to know what else you have.
No wonder my screen name is oops. Thought for sure I mentioned that lol

On deck I always have nrx 842c, 893c, 894c, 903c, 821s NRR. Once in a blue moon something else comes along but these are my staples. 894 is my heaviest. 893 is basically my dedicated senko/light trig rod and 894 is what I've been using when I size up in stuff. Fluke goes on the 894 because the 893 is always rigged up with something else and I do use a 4/0 over a 3/0 for flukes so the 4 power has kinda grown on me.

That's why I'm definitely leaning 854c atm. I know it'll help me keep a ton of versatility in my lineup even though I think the super short 3 power is what would be the best fluke rod specifically

Of course, I could just have 6 rods on deck and keep the 894 but when I say "boat" I'm talking skiff and space is tight enough with 5 bass rods, UL setup, tackle, cooler, etc

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:14 am

Ended up gambling on the 854c, won't have a chance to take it out for a week probably. Hopefully the -4 inches from what I'm used to will work for me. My first time buying a new NRX that I wasn't certain I'd love it but I hit a home run with the 903c and the Ned rod so hopefully this one works out too

I'll probably end up getting the 803c one day anyway since I've wanted the 782s/803c as a small river+wooded area pair for a while. Just really hard for me to justify them when that's like 1% of my fishing