Rod Recommendations

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod Recommendations

Post by Preston » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 am

So I had a rod and reel stolen while pond hopping yesterday. Rod was a Dobyns Sierra 684C. I loved this rod for bank fishing due to the length and action. It was so versatile due to loading deeper than most fast action rods I've used.

I'm thinking about trying something different. Looking for a shorter rod that can handle baits up to 1oz and still loads deeper into the blank without being crankbait rod.

I fish everything on this rod, Texas rig, jigs, swim jigs, sleeper gills, finesse glides(threw the gracelybaits finesse glide a ton), buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, toads, and on a rare occasion squarebills.

Curious what rods come to mind? Keep it under $500

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rod Recommendations

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am

A 4-power rod under 6'8" is going to be a tough find... good time to turn to some JDM specs.... Legit Design has a couple of candidates that might suit (click the blue text).

There's a 6'4" rated to 3.5oz and a 6'-9" rated to 1 - both with slower tapers
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:53 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 am
A 4-power rod under 6'8" is going to be a tough find... good time to turn to some JDM specs.... Legit Design has a couple of candidates that might suit (click the blue text).

There's a 6'4" rated to 3.5oz and a 6'-9" rated to 1 - both with slower tapers
Thanks Cal! I've been checking out that Legit Designs 6'9" rod. Also looked at the P5 Destroyer Cyclone and Blade. We all love online shopping, but I wish I could put my hands on these! :crying:

Time to search this site for those 3 rods.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:16 pm

Preston wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:53 am
Also looked at the P5 Destroyer Cyclone and Blade. We all love online shopping, but I wish I could put my hands on these! :crying:
If the P5s are the right spec, they'll likely be lighter than the Legit Design options and a bit higher end too.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:16 pm
Preston wrote:
Also looked at the P5 Destroyer Cyclone and Blade. We all love online shopping, but I wish I could put my hands on these! :crying:
If the P5s are the right spec, they'll likely be lighter than the Legit Design options and a bit higher end too.
Buy both then recommend one to me! Jk. Good luck on your search.

KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Post by KSRonH » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 am

One rod I have that suits your needs is the St Croix Legend Elite 6"8'' mh. Rod is versatile and loads well into the blank. I've used the rod for many applications and currently has a 1/2 oz spinnerbait tied on.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:39 am

Fishermans warehouse in CA still has a Expride A 6'8" MH fast Casting in stock. Its not a really fast blank and on sale at under 200$ its a great deal for what your looking for! I have no affiliation with this retailer.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:16 pm
Preston wrote:
Buy both then recommend one to me! Jk. Good luck on your search.
Ha!!!

Appreciate the input everyone. I like the ideas and checked them all out so far. St. Croix just isn't my thing. I'm into looks as much as performance and the looks just don't do it for me.

Checked out that expride, while nice, I just don't want an older model.

Keep the recommendations coming.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:02 am

Studio Composite 68MH-S if you can find one. Should be around $500 with the favorable exchange rate. Very sturdy, versatile and eye appealing rods MIJ.
JDMTH might have one or be able to get from their distributor.

These have them listed, but not available. Same thing, might be able to get from their distributor.

https://fishingshop.kiwi/STUDIO-COMPOSI ... ox-68MH-S/
https://japanlureshop.com/studio-compos ... -mh-s.html

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am

P5 Super Destroyer. $500 on the nose.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:57 pm

Evergreen Orion Moongazer, 6'9mh -
Might cost a few extra dollars to get it here, but it's incredibly light at 110 grams, blank is rolled with the latest and greatest T1100 Toray graphite, and it will do everything you need it to. Plus it's dead sexy :big grin:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:03 pm

Google Evergreen Japan Fishing and read the literature on the Moongazer. You can purchase it from JDM Tackle Heaven.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:11 pm

If you truly want something different and wish to dive deeply into the JDM fishing tackle abyss: I highly recommend the Sedition SDC-609 HR-BMF Hooligan! I have presented everything from a 3/4oz Megabass Dark Sleeper, a 1oz Deps Buzzjet, and even a 3/4oz Megabass SV-3 Slow Roll spinnerbait on this seminal casting rod without any issues or drama.

Who knew that a custom rod designed to be "a different take" on the "JDM rubber jig game" would be so versatile and yet so compelling to use for so many other techniques and presentations! I liked the first Hooligan so much that I paid my Japanese friend to fly to Taipei, Taiwan to help me acquire and export a second Sedition Hooligan so I could have one rod for each bass boat! :lol:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:18 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:11 pm
If you truly want something different and wish to dive deeply into the JDM fishing tackle abyss: I highly recommend the Sedition SDC-609 HR-BMF Hooligan! I have presented everything from a 3/4oz Megabass Dark Sleeper, a 1oz Deps Buzzjet, and even a 3/4oz Megabass SV-3 Slow Roll spinnerbait on this seminal casting rod without any issues or drama.

Who knew that a custom rod designed to be "a different take" on the "JDM rubber jig game" would be so versatile and yet so compelling to use for so many other techniques and presentations! I liked the first Hooligan so much that I paid my Japanese friend to fly to Taipei, Taiwan to help me acquire and export a second Sedition Hooligan so I could have one rod for each bass boat! :lol:

Daaaayuuuum... that's having priorities.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:55 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:18 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:11 pm

Daaaayuuuum... that's having priorities.
Having two bass boats or two Sedition Hooligans sir? :big grin: :laugh1:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS