Carbon monocoque is a waste

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Carbon monocoque is a waste

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am

Is it a hot take to say that the carbon monocoque that was intoduced in the Poison line is a complete waste of space? As in, its only there to attract the eye of the customer because it looks cool, and was unique back when they first launched?

I have had the previous gen Adrena and currently have the new Zodias with the carbon monocoque, and not only are they not more sensitive than other rods in their price range, but the monocoque is extremely easy to scratch (which my ocd can't handle ](*,) ), and you lose weight in the handle, the portion of the rod that is supposed to balance your set up.

If i had the choice of a new Expride/Adrena with a full cork handle, i'd choose it over the carbon monocoque every single time.

What do you all think?

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Re: Carbon monocoque is a waste

Post by jejenkyns » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:00 pm

I have a Zodias with a monocoque handle and I don't dig that particular rod at all. I will say though that it is lighter than it looks. I don't find it particularly sensitive either.

I have an Expride A and I love that rod. There really isn't anything special about it other than it just disappears in use and there is nothing at all wrong with it. It's special in that it has zero bad qualities I guess. No monocoque and I guess I'm pleased with that!

They are totally different powers/etc so comparing them directly would be pretty useless.

I'm sure the best answer(s) will come from someone who has owned both Expride A and B.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I have both the newest model Adrena and Glorious. I believe that the full monocoque grip amplifies feedback and transmissions quite noticeably, not to mention how light and sensitive the blanks are, especially on the Glorious. The only rods I've owned that feel comparable are the original X7s, with a couple custom K2s that are in the same neighborhood.
I understand how someone could dislike the way it feels. It can get hot and cold, and somewhat haphazard when wet. I'm pretty careful with my gear in order to hopefully avoid scratching. If you're the type of angler that beats up on your stuff, tosses it around, etc., definitely not the best choice. But then again, if this is you, why spend top dollar on it anyways. It's my personal opinion that Shimano produces some of the best production blanks on the market. Even my EGs feel less sensitive in my hands, and for the cost of the Adrena, I'm not sure anything else in that price range comparibly competes. Obviously this is all subjective, and I certainly wouldn't bother comparing the Zodias to the Glorious.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:51 pm

I had a chance to finally handle some of the new Adrenas in store a couple weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how light and balanced they felt. I initially assumed they would be tip heavy but they feel great--almost makes me want to get one but I ended up buying an NRX+ 893c hahaha

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 pm

It makes a difference in the casting motion. The reduced weight also means reduced inertia and momentum. In a way it is almost like comparing a similar build of full cork handles vs split grip handles. I will also say that feeling the vibration at the butt of the rod from a reel spool whirling like a motor is quite surprisingly different.

I also have both Zodias in spinning models. The older one has a lighter line guide set, while the newer one has a slightly heavier line guide set. I feel a difference in the casting motion when alternating the two identical rods. It takes less effort on the carbon monocoque handles.

I wonder if the same could be said about Phenix M1 rods in comparison. The older split grip compared to the single one piece Vortex.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:49 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 pm
It makes a difference in the casting motion. The reduced weight also means reduced inertia and momentum. In a way it is almost like comparing a similar build of full cork handles vs split grip handles. I will also say that feeling the vibration at the butt of the rod from a reel spool whirling like a motor is quite surprisingly different.

I also have both Zodias in spinning models. The older one has a lighter line guide set, while the newer one has a slightly heavier line guide set. I feel a difference in the casting motion when alternating the two identical rods. It takes less effort on the carbon monocoque handles.

I wonder if the same could be said about Phenix M1 rods in comparison. The older split grip compared to the single one piece Vortex.
Although the handles are different, one could compare the same casting motion with the new Tatula Elite and Tatula Elite AGS rods. Same blanks, different guides. Too bad the handles are different, adding a variable to the casting experiment
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:23 am

To me the Posion Adrena is the 1st gen iPhone of rods. All rods should have a carbon handle like that if they want to keep up. I don't like ugly basket weave no resin carbon grips they sell on the rod building sights. Those make my eyes melt worse than dirty old cork. The Shimano carbon tube or the smooth resin set carbon weave grips are good looking though.