Daiwa Black Label

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Black Label

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:01 pm

Any opinions on these rods? All i've heard about this series is that they're made as "all around" rods, but never heard anything positive (or negative for that matter) when it comes to sensitivity and such. Been eying their C70MH-5 and the C70M-5.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Black Label

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 pm

I have the 5 piece 7ft medium, and I really like it. I've been through many travel rods, 2, 4, and 5 piece. The issue I kept running into was that all the action was in the tip section of the multi piece blank which affected accuracy, casting, and at times keeping fish pinned.
The model I have is far and away the most versatile travel stick I've ever owned. I can throw trebles, single hook moving, bottom contact, and mid to heavy sized weightless plastics. Master of nothing, but can do it all within it's ratings. The blank continues to flex under load until it shuts off just above mid point. It's not going to win any awards for sensitivity or light weight, but it's more than acceptable imo. The lower section of the blank is thick, but not heavy, leading to really good reserve power.
I finally found the one travel stick I need to cover all my bases and presentations I utilize. Well worth the 300 dollars I paid to get it here. It's not flashy, but the build quality is solid. Just a very good workhorse I can take anywhere and not have to worry about bringing multiple rods.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 pm
I have the 5 piece 7ft medium, and I really like it. I've been through many travel rods, 2, 4, and 5 piece. The issue I kept running into was that all the action was in the tip section of the multi piece blank which affected accuracy, casting, and at times keeping fish pinned.
The model I have is far and away the most versatile travel stick I've ever owned. I can throw trebles, single hook moving, bottom contact, and mid to heavy sized weightless plastics. Master of nothing, but can do it all within it's ratings. The blank continues to flex under load until it shuts off just above mid point. It's not going to win any awards for sensitivity or light weight, but it's more than acceptable imo. The lower section of the blank is thick, but not heavy, leading to really good reserve power.
I finally found the one travel stick I need to cover all my bases and presentations I utilize. Well worth the 300 dollars I paid to get it here. It's not flashy, but the build quality is solid. Just a very good workhorse I can take anywhere and not have to worry about bringing multiple rods.
Would you say that your model is good for jerkbaits?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:16 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Absolutely, 3/8 oz and half ounce

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:14 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:16 am
SSS wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Absolutely, 3/8 oz and half ounce
Will give it a shot, the rod seems interesting.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 pm

Own the 6’3 SG swimbait rod, the 7’ SG swimbait rod, the 5’5 SG jerk bait rod, the 6’11 LG swimbait rod, and the 7’ XXH swimbait rod from the previous generation. If it has Black Label on it, you can guarantee the rods are good. I’d own all of them if I had the time to fish them all

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:06 pm

BrettTRay wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 pm
Own the 6’3 SG swimbait rod, the 7’ SG swimbait rod, the 5’5 SG jerk bait rod, the 6’11 LG swimbait rod, and the 7’ XXH swimbait rod from the previous generation. If it has Black Label on it, you can guarantee the rods are good. I’d own all of them if I had the time to fish them all
Are yours made in japan? I recall seeing Black Label rods being made in japan, but now they're made in china.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:50 pm

I believe all mine are made in China but I could be wrong. I’ll look when I get home