2.5Oz swimbait reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2.5Oz swimbait reel

Post by Drakestar » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:05 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 am
Cristo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 am
Side note both platforms I mentioned I would not hesitate to even go in the 4 oz plus mark ...
I'm sure I've thrown heavier on my Ryoga. I am not one who subscribes to the theory reels have limits as to what they can cast. They are in freespool during a cast, so there is no stress on internals. The only limitations I see are with line capacity. Heavier baits usually mean thicker diameter fishing lines to lower risk of break offs. Thicker diameter fishing lines means you need higher capacity reels which usually means bigger reels.

Braid helps to mitigate these factors.
I don't believe in spool limits per se, but short handles, super low profile and small thumbing areas make a difference in my mind. I cast a 4oz swimbait quiet differently from a jig (obviously), and appreciate being able to hold on to a 200 or 300-sized reel when making those casts. And of course a 6.3:1 reel in 200 size has bigger gears and spools than a 6.3:1 reel in 70 size, so the retrieval rate does change even though it's the same gear ratio.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 am

I feel so bad seeing so many suggest the Steez A yet mine acted out with 10lb fluoro throwing finesse lures. Still waiting to get that answer. As far as those suggesting the Zillion TWS HD, the regular non HD Zillion TWS is a very stout reel. I have thrown fair sized A rigs with the 7.3 and it never felt troubled. Currently run big deep cranks and chatters with that reel, still solid as can be.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:05 am
I don't believe in spool limits per se, but short handles, super low profile and small thumbing areas make a difference in my mind. I cast a 4oz swimbait quiet differently from a jig (obviously), and appreciate being able to hold on to a 200 or 300-sized reel when making those casts. And of course a 6.3:1 reel in 200 size has bigger gears and spools than a 6.3:1 reel in 70 size, so the retrieval rate does change even though it's the same gear ratio.
All those are different arguments than to the capability of the reel... you're talking ergonomics and ability to retrieve - not cast. ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Cal wrote:
Cristo wrote:
Side note both platforms I mentioned I would not hesitate to even go in the 4 oz plus mark ...
I'm sure I've thrown heavier on my Ryoga. I am not one who subscribes to the theory reels have limits as to what they can cast. They are in freespool during a cast, so there is no stress on internals. The only limitations I see are with line capacity. Heavier baits usually mean thicker diameter fishing lines to lower risk of break offs. Thicker diameter fishing lines means you need higher capacity reels which usually means bigger reels.

+1

The only problem with Ryoga in my opinion is that it is too heavy. I wouldn't like go over 220gr reel.

In fact guys, I recieved a NEW 21 Calcuta Conquest 101 HG 3 days ago. It is super super small and compact reel and it seems to be very sturdy but it makes a weird noisy while retrieving and I've spoken with the shop for a replacing and now I don't know if change for morethan or another reel...

I even got a Metanium DC HG which maybe could do this task nicely....

Sorry guys I'm totally messed up.

If anybody want to see the video of calcuta conquest noise I could send it by email.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:46 am

Fran87 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm
Cal wrote:
Cristo wrote:

+1

The only problem with Ryoga in my opinion is that it is too heavy. I wouldn't like go over 220gr reel.

In fact guys, I recieved a NEW 21 Calcuta Conquest 101 HG 3 days ago. It is super super small and compact reel and it seems to be very sturdy but it makes a weird noisy while retrieving and I've spoken with the shop for a replacing and now I don't know if change for morethan or another reel...

If anybody want to see the video of calcuta conquest noise I could send it by email.
Calcutta Conquest generally is a super smooth reel. I have the '15 101 HG and when it was new, it was also noisy/grindy. Mine had very little grease inside, I took it apart and added some nice grease to the gears and it was perfect after. I assume it can happen to any reel today as well. If it has other issues, replacing it with a new one is the correct call.
Personally I love my CC, but I'm sure the Metanium is nice as well. You cannot really go wrong with any of the high-end Shimano reels.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 pm

zalan wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:46 am
Fran87 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm
Cal wrote:
Cristo wrote:

+1

Calcutta Conquest generally is a super smooth reel. I have the '15 101 HG and when it was new, it was also noisy/grindy. Mine had very little grease inside, I took it apart and added some nice grease to the gears and it was perfect after. I assume it can happen to any reel today as well. If it has other issues, replacing it with a new one is the correct call.
Personally I love my CC, but I'm sure the Metanium is nice as well. You cannot really go wrong with any of the high-end Shimano reels.
Do you use it for swimbaits ?

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Fran87 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 pm
No, it is on a 6"10 medium Expride. I use it for hardbaits, lot smaller than the swimbaits you plan to use.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:02 am

zalan wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:32 pm
Fran87 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 pm
No, it is on a 6"10 medium Expride. I use it for hardbaits, lot smaller than the swimbaits you plan to use.
Thanks Zalan. I hope it make a good job with little and mid sized glidebaits.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:27 am

Drakestar wrote:
Cal wrote:
Cristo wrote:

As a wee heads up, in Shimano 70s at least, the curado 70 platform runs the same gears and same diameter shafts as the curado I 200 - the gear part numbers are the same in the HG model and you can convert 70s to 70PGs using curado I PG gears without issue. The shafts are the same material so I don’t think they’re different either. I haven’t checked but I believe the bearings are the same. While I’m not going to doubt on the ergonomics side of things, from a physics standpoint, any difference in what the Shimano 200 vs 70 curados can withstand is dictated by frame performance. Looking beyond this series of shimanos, I’m not seeing physically smaller gears in any of the other Shimano platforms (even the current aldebaran, whose gear diameters match the Calcutta conquest 100)

Long story short - beyond ergonomics (palming and handle preferences), line capacity and build quality should be the only other limiting factors in swimbait reel choice in 200 size or smaller reels. Maybe drag numbers if larger fish are present but most bass reels can handle most bass. The other factors, like castability, brakes, weight etc, are important and to your own preferences, but above a certain build quality it’s hard to go really wrong (maybe put down the bfs reel for swimbaits? :P). I personally like my old 200E5 for this work.
Luca :)

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 pm

LuS wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:27 am
Drakestar wrote:
Cal wrote:
Cristo wrote:

As a wee heads up, in Shimano 70s at least, the curado 70 platform runs the same gears and same diameter shafts as the curado I 200 - the gear part numbers are the same in the HG model and you can convert 70s to 70PGs using curado I PG gears without issue. The shafts are the same material so I don’t think they’re different either. I haven’t checked but I believe the bearings are the same. While I’m not going to doubt on the ergonomics side of things, from a physics standpoint, any difference in what the Shimano 200 vs 70 curados can withstand is dictated by frame performance. Looking beyond this series of shimanos, I’m not seeing physically smaller gears in any of the other Shimano platforms (even the current aldebaran, whose gear diameters match the Calcutta conquest 100)

Long story short - beyond ergonomics (palming and handle preferences), line capacity and build quality should be the only other limiting factors in swimbait reel choice in 200 size or smaller reels. Maybe drag numbers if larger fish are present but most bass reels can handle most bass. The other factors, like castability, brakes, weight etc, are important and to your own preferences, but above a certain build quality it’s hard to go really wrong (maybe put down the bfs reel for swimbaits? :P). I personally like my old 200E5 for this work.
Hi LuS nice info man!!!!, what about Shimano Antares A ?? it seems to be built like a tank in fact it weights is 220gr!!! Maybe could it be a great option??

Regrads

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Lol, I hear you, but my only point was this: in response to an implication that smaller reels are weaker than 200 size brethren, I’m citing the curado 70 as a counterpoint. In the case of the curado 70 and derivatives, it’s not any different than a 200I in terms of rotating parts that take the strain of use once you’re past the spool. Bearings, shafts, gears, same. I wouldn’t be surprised to see similar strength numbers in the frame of the reel too. Shimano can’t be the only manufacturer reusing parts across a family of reels. Same parts, same specs, probably no meaningful differences in lifespans and forces tolerated. Meaning: if a 200 or 150 size reel can do it, chances are it’s 70 size brother will hold up mechanically too, if it’s the same underlying parts. Where you can get into trouble here is if the materials start being substituted for softer ones. I have my doubts about aluminum use on gears in high end reels for this reason… although I love my aldebarans (never said I was 100% logical).

Other aspects - handles, line capacity, etc - as I said - to taste (note!). Not gonna add a bunch to that. My primary point was that well built 70-100 size reels are not necessarily weaker than 200s (at least for Shimano) as the key parts are the same up to 200 size reels, so don’t worry about the reel holding up to the use mechanically.
Luca :)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:01 pm

I use a gen 1 Revo S with 5.4 gears and the 100mm Winch handle. Spooled with 30# braid and 20# P-Line CXX leader for baits up to 3 oz. The reel isn't tiny, but it is still comfortable to palm and light enough that it doesnt wear me out. Oh, and it will flat out launch a Jackall Mikey Sr. a solid 70 yds.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.